Sonar vs N-track

opinions please

There’s no doubt N-track is my favorite as much for its ease of use and features as for the the price.

Sonar 4 looks nice and is relatively inexpensive (compared to the other big names). I personally don’t like the interface- its too gaudy and distracting and I don’t feel like I’m in control quite as directly as with N-track.

Thats my view and I’m wondering what others here think.

no cents

I tried Sonar 3 but never really got into it.
It has some really cool features but I didn’t realy get to use any of them as the learning curve ws so steep.

With n-Track when I tried that out I was recording and mixing within a few minutes.

I think to convert to Sonar I’d need to dedicate a whole weekend or even a week to sit down and try and learn it.

Coming form a tape based 4 track using n-track didn’t really require any conceptual learnigns, just took a bit to work out how to set it up with drivers and buffers etc.

Sonar I don’t have a clue what most of the buttons do and the layout is confusing to me.

I really wanted to try to get into Sonar too as it would mean swapping projects would be a bit easier wih some people but I gave up after a bit

Rich

I like n-Track because i recorded quite a few songs before i even had to read the manual - ok, you have to read the manual to get the most out of it - but its simple and does everything that most people would ever need it to (and well).
Plus, as people always say, this forum alone makes n-Track better than any other program.

I agree with jow on that point. I use audition a lot as well as N. I like audition, but the forum does not have nearly the user friendly atmosphere this one does. And I don’t feel like you have as many experienced recording people there. Also, they treat you like they are in customer service. You know what I mean? They assume you are the dumbest person ever to own a computer. I hate when people treat me that way. grrr. So yeah. n rules. BTW, the main reason I use audition at all is two things. A) editing tracks (that is, splicing/moving blocks) is easier b) they have track lock. N should really get that feature if it could. I don’t know if it would be easy to get or not, but to lock a track when you are done editing its effects is great. It makes load time become like 15 min. or more on a large song, but it cuts down on lag, etc. SO MUCH! That is the one major feature in audition I love. Other than that, it is a pain. No midi support!!! grrr…

What can’t n-Track do that Sonar can? Do you need those features? Or is it that you are having a bit of DAW GAS? :)

Sonar 4 is very impressive but I can’t justify the price for it.

Sonar 4 like Sonar 3 has a very flexible mixer…basically you can create as many busses as you need on the fly. S4 now features 5.1 to 10.1 surround mixing…freeze function…and impressive array of plugs to utilize the new features.

If I gone complete professional…I would use Sonar 4 as opposed to ProTools hands down.

But at this stage as far as music production wise for me…N-Tracks works very well. I couldnt justify spending almost a grand on ANY software really.
:p

Sonar 4 like Sonar 3 has a very flexible mixer..basically you can create as many busses as you need on the fly.

Explain this if you would. How is this different then creating groups in N? Or are you talking about aux channels? Either can be created on the fly in N. I am just trying to see the difference. Or is it more of Tracktion idea where you link objects to create a signal flow?
Quote (aspiringWanderer @ Sep. 27 2004,16:29)
I couldnt justify spending almost a grand on ANY software really.

Looks like it typically sells for $599...zzounds will give you a free upgrade to ver 4 if you buy ver 3 this month ($499), or you can get even deeper discounts from Cakewalk if you're a registered of their various products. I really liked Sonar 3 (the interface didn't faze me--more features always equals more learning) and was going to pick up the Producer edition, but I decided my hardware needs were more pressing, so I just went with N-track and spent the difference on better hardware. I haven't regretted this decision, since it turned out that N-track works fine for my needs. But if I were to spend $400+ on DAW software, I'd definitely get Sonar 4.

Tony

Bubba:

Dynamic Console View

SONAR 3’s Console view has been completely re-engineered from the ground up to meet the needs of mixing professionals.
· Unlimited mixing capabilities with unlimited potential audio and MIDI channels, real-time effects and synths, effects sends,
and busses
· All parameters can be automated on screen or remotely via hardware
· Dynamic Display Filtering ¾ see all mix parameters or only the ones you need
· Narrow or wide strip widths
· Dynamic sends
· Assignable Channel FX Controls for quick access to plug-in automation
· Assignable MIDI controls for access and automation of MIDI data
· Integrated 6-band per-channel Parametric EQ with plot display (see side panel)
· Flexible metering (peak, RMS, peak and RMS, pre-fader, post-fader, and pre-fader post effects) with peak history

A friend of mine uses S3…I dont exactly need this flexibility…but I can’t say it wasn’t sweet. It was fun playing with it

Scantee:
Sounds sweet but I’m one of those starving artists who lives on ramen noodles and eggdrops lol
:laugh:

That doesn’t really answer Bubba’s question. Most of that can be done in n-Tracks already (though not quite all, and some not as easily).

Not to mention 24 channel paraEQ built in.

I just borrowed a copy of my friend Sonar 3 producer edition today…it seems like it has a pretty steep learning curve…i will sit with it this weekend and let you know in details. I have this page bookmarked… :)

By the way…i love Ntrack. its simplicity can’t be beaten. I have a feeling I will stick to the big N at the end.

Quote (phoo @ Sep. 27 2004,19:06)
That doesn't really answer Bubba's question. Most of that can be done in n-Tracks already (though not quite all, and some not as easily).

Ditto, N does most of that. I am wondering if there is a specific feature. From that list, 85% of it can be done in N.