Song Mixed and Mastered in n

Hey all, I had a thread a while back relating to a recording session we did at a studio, and that they sent us a mix that was god awful, and then the studio flooded so he couldn’t re-do it,
so I was trying to get the raw tracks to attempt a mix job in n-track.

Well, he finally sent me the wav files and here’s the result.
Is OK, I still think the mixes I do sound messy with sort of too much frequency happening if that makes sense, but you can hear everything so I think its OK.

I used n-track plugins exclusively except for “Drumagog” which I had to use on the snare and kick because the original recording were beyond rubbish.
I certainly learnt a lot from that studio session, principally that for me, I’d be better off hiring a rehearsal room and recording everything myself via n-track, then giving it to someone who knows how to mix/master/eq.

Here it is, see what ya think…

http://www.fileden.com/files…ome.mp3

www.facebook.com/VariaBand

EDIT - I hadn’t thought of this but there is lyrical content some could find slightly objectionable. I don’t think its likely but you know…

Ok, well I’m listening on headphones. First up, nice playing - nice tight band and well performed. Oh, and the lyrical content warning is appreciated.

It sounds a little bit mp3-ish to me. I find it hard to hear past that. Any chance of something with less compression?

The mix isn’t too bad - at least on these h/phones - but is something clipping in there (guitars?). Either way perhaps the guitars are a bit flabby at the bottom end where the bass should be. That might help you clean it up a bit.

I did a similar process to you around 10 years ago - had a whole album recorded and mixed in a pro studio but was unhappy with the results. I took the wavs home and remixed (and re-recorded a few tracks too). Took about a week for each track. The results were pretty good I think. The BIG difference was getting the tracks professionally mastered. It’s difficult to put my finger on the exact difference but they were somehow more shiny after the mastering. Go figure :slight_smile:

Nice work.

great song your band sound realy good
youve managed to get a great live sort of sound there but if you want it to sound more studio & less muddy then the guitars & the bass need a bit of tweaking to my ears…like mark said at the moment you cant separate them very well its messy in the bass/lower mid range the guitar needs more top & lifted away from the bass & maybe panned diffrently…im no expert!!

yeah its definately guitars is the problem (bass too perhaps). as a guitarist i always feel that there can’t be too many guitars but it gets messy. i double track rythym parts and pan them but then when the solos come in in particular its like there’s no more room for more guitar. pro mixes you hear have all these parts in them and you can hear everything without it getting buzzy/messy and i guess its to do with eq, maybe panning but i’m yet to understand just how they get everything so loud yet so defined.

Sounds great screaming out of my laptop.

There are a few issues. The low mids are all over each other between the bass and guitars. Plus the mid highs and highs don’t exist. Also, things are panned very front and center… so pan something as this sounds like it is mono except for where the back vox pop up at places. Pop up the stems if you want…

Quote: (monstasonix @ Apr. 15 2011, 7:24 AM)

yeah its definately guitars is the problem (bass too perhaps). as a guitarist i always feel that there can't be too many guitars but it gets messy. i double track rythym parts and pan them but then when the solos come in in particular its like there's no more room for more guitar. pro mixes you hear have all these parts in them and you can hear everything without it getting buzzy/messy and i guess its to do with eq, maybe panning but i'm yet to understand just how they get everything so loud yet so defined.

listen to the Bubba...(he is offering to do a mix for ya! a accolade in itself and a deal that does not come along too often)

Anywho, to answer your question EQ, compression, placement and some heavy duty $$$ mastering gear....that is "how they get everything so loud yet so defined."
In many major label studio's you got one set of engineers working on the mix...then it is sent out to be mastered to a shop that specializes in that...so couldn't ask any one person how they did it, you have to ask the mixing engineers about the instrument placement, then go to mastering studio (that could be hundreds of miles away) and ask them about their technique.

If you slap some verb on the guitar and boost the high end cut some of the low it might help it distance itself from the bass. my 2c.
I suggest FREEQ (google it) to help EQ that bass into it's own pocket, I know you could take the time to study sound engineering and frequencies till you can dial those pockets up yourself or be lazy like me and use the presets on the various EQ and mastering proggies out there.
:D

dontcare

Well, you almost never have the same person mixing as mastering in even small releases. It simply does not go together. Mastering is a quality control step… so you really want a 3rd party with an unbiased ear doing the work. Or as a teacher once told me… don’t have your mother proof read your papers. She is as dumb as you are.

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Apr. 15 2011, 9:57 AM)

There are a few issues. The low mids are all over each other between the bass and guitars. Plus the mid highs and highs don't exist. Also, things are panned very front and center... so pan something as this sounds like it is mono except for where the back vox pop up at places. Pop up the stems if you want...

ok, actually I wasn't sure what "pop up the stems" meant... :} but i think i understand now. should the submixes be .wavs or mp3? they will be pretty big files if they're .wavs? should i have all my individual track plugins applied before mixing down the "stems" (i would think yes?)

beyond the basics i'm a bit of a noob re. production.

No, no FX at all. The point is I want to see what you are working with in the raw untouched. Ideally use FLAC, but I don’t think N does FLAC? How big are all the WAVs combined? If they are under 2GB total, a Dropbox free account will work. At 4 min each, 20 tracks, 24/44.1… that puts you at about 600MB. How were the WAVs given to you? I imagine that same format will work for me.