Songs for Poppa

Okay, here are some pieces I’ve done that are NOT speed-demon guitar thingies. I know the bass is not quite on time, I made this before I discovered that certain effects add latency and screw up my timing. If I were to record the song today, the bass would be exactly in the pocket, because I learned what was wrong. Try to ignore that and just hear the songs, overall, lol!

Danny Milligan - Karma

Danny Milligan - The Dream Is Over

Danny Milligan - Slipping Away

See? I can do in tune, tasty and on-time (when my software isn’t screwing up my timings, anyway). Let me know what you think…

:agree: Be Back Later.. :agree:

Karma lasted two bars in after the bass started… I heard out of time drums as I clicked the stop button.

Dream is over is an illusion of time correctness. I have an internal clock. It’s off.

Slipping away lasted the longest and I excused the first bass note “offness” in hopes it would last longer. Excused another collision… stopped at second noticeable bass goof then off.

I’ve had several discussions with personal friends that I stay in contact with outside this forum and from day one when I rejoined the forum and listened to your long list of posted songs… I expressed to them the potential for great stuff, and my willingness to help you it. My main concern was your willingness to lay ego aside and learn a better way to present your gift. You are gifted I believe. I’m not going to drop names or post my resume - but I have been doing this music thang quite a long time.

There ya go… s’all I got.

Hi dannyraymilligan:

Those tracks Fall under some kind of Jazz Fusion Discipline…
It’s stuff like rUSSELL bRANNON would aspire to…
I don’t fully understand the interest in music that fall into that category, though…

Russell is a huge fan of George Benson…
and I would say I can listen to that stuff…
However, If Brent Mason and Paul Franklin material were available for me to listen to, as a choice, I’d listen to their creations and turn off George…
I like listening to David Hartley AND…
his style of music…

Anyway, I tried to do a Bass Tracks to some stuff that he recorded and got mailed to me by a friend…
I got hopelessly lost in my attempt to do it…
Then one day I opened my Inbox and found some mail he (Russell) sent to me regarding my lame excuse of a Bass Track… You know what he did ?
He sent me the tablature of the tune he recorded and asked me to have another GO-At-IT…
That ended my idea of attempting to do a Bass Track in that disipline… :)
:whistle:
What-a-way-to-Go…
hehe…
lol…

I’m just a Bar Room Bass Player with no hope of goin’ anywhere, in the music domain…
AND…
if I continued goin down that road I would have found myself in a community of Duh Dah Land
OR … Funny Farm…
I’m not sure if I’ve quite recovered from how close I came to that place…

I like your approach to how well you capture and display your tracks, in the technical sense…
As I reply to your thread I have your third link looping…

Your Guitar Tracks are so well done…

:agree:

Bill…

Two Steppin My Way to the end of 2010

Happy New Year…
Everyone…

Bill…

Poppa, I don’t see how the drums could have skipped time, in Karma. I used one loop all the way through, and simply muted parts that I didn’t want in it. I DO know the bass was out of the pocket, both on Karma and Slipping Away. If I could go back into the files and shift the bass track slightly to the left in the time line, that would have corrected the whole problem, because the pitch shift introduced latency and caused the bass to slightly drop out of time.

I thought the purpose of this experiment was about the GUITAR playing?

Quote: (dannyraymilligan @ Jan. 01 2011, 4:41 AM)

If I could go back into the files and shift the bass track slightly to the left in the time line, that would have corrected the whole problem, because the pitch shift introduced latency and caused the bass to slightly drop out of time.

That sounds like you're not able to go back and fix the bass timing?
If you can, you should - and repost.

Quote:

I thought the purpose of this experiment was about the GUITAR playing?

Yes, but it's too distracting to listen to when the timing of the bed tracks is wrong. A little like cooking a gourmet meal and serving it on a dirty, cracked plate with rusty cutlery.
Quote: (woxnerw @ Jan. 01 2011, 1:23 AM)

Two Steppin My Way to the end of 2010

Happy New Year..
Everyone..

Bill..

Do you know this guy Bill? It's very good.

And Happy New Year to you too. It's already 2011 here. Has been for 9 hours, and I can report that today looks pretty much the same as yesterday so it's safe to make the jump over :)

Ah, already NYD there, 8 hours to go here, just more evidence that the USA is continuing to fall behind the civilized world.

These are all mixed-down tracks, as much as I do, I have no way to save all the files from a song. I’ve recorded over 200 songs, over the years, imagine if I’d saved every track, the npk files for them, etc., for each song. Average of 10 tracks per song, that would be 2,000 50 MB wav files, in addition to everything else. Generally, when I’m done with a song, I mix it down to a master without vocals, and then the actual song with all vocals and effects. Everything else is deleted, or else I’d be up to my yayas in files, lol!

External hard drives - I have 5 of them. I backup everything. I hate the idea of losing stuff. I need to backup the backups. :laugh:

Quote: (TomS @ Jan. 01 2011, 10:55 AM)

External hard drives - I have 5 of them.
I backup everything.
I hate the idea of losing stuff.
I need to backup the backups.
:laugh:

Yes, me too.
Quote: (TomS @ Dec. 31 2010, 3:55 PM)

External hard drives - I have 5 of them.
I backup everything.
I hate the idea of losing stuff.
I need to backup the backups.
:laugh:

(Loving The Secret Sisters. Hootenanny, you lot.)

Same. Almost 30 years o' the shnit.

Danny. I still think that some editing wouldn't go a miss - even with your old stuff - filters, grid-locking, and what not.

How can you edit a mixed-down file, Tony? There’s no way to go back in the file, take the bass out and move it or redo it, is there?

Quote: (dannyraymilligan @ Jan. 01 2011, 10:41 AM)

Average of 10 tracks per song, that would be 2,000 50 MB wav files, in addition to everything else.

Yeah, that is a lot of data. Just one point that caught my eye..... 50Mb would be a 5 minute stereo wav. Hopefully not all of your tracks are stereo??
Quote: (dannyraymilligan @ Jan. 01 2011, 2:46 PM)

How can you edit a mixed-down file, Tony? There's no way to go back in the file, take the bass out and move it or redo it, is there?

Nope. You can't. It would be like unmixing paint as someone once told me.

Hard drives are cheap. For archival purposes of multi-track projects, learn to consolidate. Get rid of useless junk and burn to DVD.

But again, hard drives are cheap. I saw a 1TB USB2 drive for 60 bucks the other day.

UJ

PS Part of engineering and producing music and/or video is learning data/media management. It’d be awfully sad if some A&R type wanted your MT project for further development and you had to go; “Duuuuuuuuuhhhhhh…”

Quote: (Mark A @ Dec. 31 2010, 7:52 PM)

Quote: (dannyraymilligan @ Jan. 01 2011, 10:41 AM)

Average of 10 tracks per song, that would be 2,000 50 MB wav files, in addition to everything else.

Yeah, that is a lot of data.
Just one point that caught my eye..... 50Mb would be a 5 minute stereo wav.
Hopefully not all of your tracks are stereo??

I do everything in stereo, Mark, I have from the beginning. Can't honestly see the purpose to doing it in mono...
Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Dec. 31 2010, 10:21 PM)

Hard drives are cheap. For archival purposes of multi-track projects, learn to consolidate. Get rid of useless junk and burn to DVD.

But again, hard drives are cheap. I saw a 1TB USB2 drive for 60 bucks the other day.

UJ

PS Part of engineering and producing music and/or video is learning data/media management. It'd be awfully sad if some A&R type wanted your MT project for further development and you had to go; "Duuuuuuuuuhhhhhh...."

It isn't as if I couldn't redo the song again, UJ, considering I'm the only musician on any of my songs, lol!