+sound blaster and soundfonts

so want to record using soundfonts from my sound card but i am having a hard tim with the bank manager and i am not sure how to set up the track and all and when i do get it to work there is a layerd afect with a piano as well and i dont know where it is coming from

Thanx Bones

Eaasy way: Load your soundfonts trough SFZ.

Soundblaster way: google a little about how to use the soundfont bank manager. Then, in n-track, remember that you need to setup the bank number and instrment number where your soundfont is loaded. And dont forget to select “Controller 0” in Bank Select method.

Ok well thats what i would like to do but i am trying to get rid of the delay when recording it messes my brothe all up and he dose most of the keys around here. When i turn down the buffer where it dosnt have the delay then it clicks and stuff, i am using a hp 2.4 ghz with 768 mb of ram,and a delta44 audio interface i have been using the wdm drivers should i use the asio driver will that make a diffrence I dont know much about this driver stuff…

Thanx For Your Help… Bones

<!–QuoteBegin>

When i turn down the buffer where it dosnt have the delay then it clicks and stuff,

Well if you can’t find a sweet spot (read: trade off), between latency (delay) and pops and clicks then you are going to have to use the Soundblaster card as your midi engine. You might find the ASIO drivers are better but I’m afraid latency is “one of those things” that we have to learn to deal with. On some setups it’s harder to work around than others; there are so many variables.

However, it is a real PITA to manage those soundfonts when using the Soundblaster- eg remembering which ones to load etc.

As an alternative, if there is a sound that is close to what you want built into your keyboard, I suggest that when you record that you monitor using that built in sound, record the midi, and then point the midi track at a soundfont in SFZ for playback. Works for me.

<!–QuoteBegin>
track and all and when i do get it to work there is a layerd afect with a piano as well and i dont know where it is coming from

Have you got the MIDI out from the Soundblaster going back to your keyboard? If so the piano might well be from your keyboard’s built in sounds.

HTH

Mark

Use SFZ and freeze the track… no latency.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Use SFZ and freeze the track… no latency.

Bubba, I think you missed the point. I think Bones is trying to use a soundfont when recording. Is that right Bones?

You mean play it in with a keyboard? In that case… yeah, freeze won’t work :D His post wasn’t very specific so I though it was MIDI track playback while recording audio… like the old using the MS synth for a metronome and everything is out of whack.

<!–QuoteBegin>

You mean play it in with a keyboard? In that case… yeah, freeze won’t work His post wasn’t very specific so I though it was MIDI track playback while recording audio… like the old using the MS synth for a metronome and everything is out of whack.

Yep. With a keyboard. It was this statement in Bone’s second post that I think was the clue…

<!–QuoteBegin>
get rid of the delay when recording it messes my brothe all up and he dose most of the keys around

Which clearly states that there is a problem with delaying his medication (dose), that causes problems with his soup (broth).

:p

(Sorry Bones. Feeling silly. My birthday. Had beer at lunchtime which is never a good thing!)

Ah, that’s what he meant there. Language barrier perhaps.