Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum

Moving to new computer and sound card

I plan to build another computer with 24 bit sound card and then upgrade to n-Track 4 (24 bit).

Has anyone considered or is using Creatives Sound Blaster X-Fi Platimun?

Pros and Cons appreciated.

With soundblaster cards you have some plus that maybe or maybe not are interesting to you: Soundfonts without CPU use, and Realtime FX.
But if your goal is record your guitar-piano-voices-etc, there are other better options, like the emus new lines or audiophiles. Ah, i believe that emus also have built-in realtime Fx.

Yes indeed. Creative makes the SoundBlaster line for home/gamer use where as the they make the Emu cards for music recording use. I would look more toward the Emu (I own one and am thrilled with it) instead of the Sblaster if for no other reasn than the drivers on the Emu are superior.

Question: Does Creative include a PatchMix equivalent with the SB line? I know that is a handy little piece of software and another good reason to go EMU for recording.

D – happy EMU 1820M user…

mmm… the way to get more power from sblive cards is using kxproject.com drivers, a lot of functions that make them more “pro” (a lot of FX and routing options)

I went to look at the E-MU from Creative. This is incredible, all the expansion sound libraries and I have been listening to the the mp3s from the new Modern Symphonic Orchestra. It is incredible… the sounds. Can all this work with N-Track also? There is also notation software included. Has anyone found any notation software plugin to work with N-Track? Has anyone conducted any classical music recording or song writing with N-Track?

I found this magazine Future Music. Anyone have any comments on it? I was thinking of getting a subscription to it. Any others?

Thanks

Quote (wtdrisco @ Dec. 04 2005,18:17)
Can all this work with N-Track also? There is also notation software included. Has anyone found any notation software plugin to work with N-Track? Has anyone conducted any classical music recording or song writing with N-Track?

I found this magazine Future Music. Anyone have any comments on it? I was thinking of getting a subscription to it. Any others?

Thanks

Yes… to all of the above. Personally, I am a fan of the Garritan library… The Emu library sounds too much like the Edirol which is okay… but not in the same league as Garritan IMO. www.garritan.com

Future Music and Electronic Musican are okay magazines… if you really want to learn something… get TapeOp. Fm and Em will teach you how to buy stuff… TapeOp will teach you how to actually record something. www.tapeop.com

The only magazines I pick up at the store anymore are Sound On Sound and occasionally Computer Music. CM only if the included DVD has some samples or demo/free software I’m interested in. TapeOp I get in the mail and read cover to cover several times. I have a “gift” subscription to Electronic Musician magazine. It’s good to see what’s new on the market. Not much else…

My faves are TapeOp and SOS.

D – still suggests an EMU over the SoundBlaster stuff…

Do you have the websites for these magazines?

Quote (wtdrisco @ Dec. 13 2005,11:19)
Do you have the websites for these magazines?

http://www.tapeop.com

http://www.soundonsound.com/

:)

D

PS wtdrisco, did you PM me regarding the 1820M? My Gmail account notified me I had a PM. I can’t find it in my PM Inbox though. Weird? Anyway, if you have a question about it, fire away!
Quote (marce @ Dec. 02 2005,13:22)
Soundfonts without CPU use

Pardon my ignorance - is that really still so? I thought nowadays the Soundblasters handle the soundfonts through software (like kind of a plugin). Like the E-mu cards with their "built-in" sampler. But maybe I'm wrong? All this marketingspeak on their websites hasn't made it very clear to me.

<!–QuoteBegin>

PS wtdrisco, did you PM me regarding the 1820M? My Gmail account notified me I had a PM. I can’t find it in my PM Inbox though. Weird? Anyway, if you have a question about it, fire away!

Yes I did. I am getting a new computer ACER, with 3.0 Pentium D &HT, 1GB RAM 160GB SATA drive. Veriton 6800.

It has the integrated Intel High Definition Audio.
Would this be ok for recording? If you know…

Also the main PM I sent you was concerning the EMU. You have the 1820M. The second card that comes with it (daughtercard), where does that connect, does it take an additional PCI slot? Is it PCI or PCI EXPRESS? What is different with the 1820?

Thanks
Quote (Alessio @ Dec. 14 2005,03:14)
Quote (marce @ Dec. 02 2005,13:22)
Soundfonts without CPU use

Pardon my ignorance - is that really still so? I thought nowadays the Soundblasters handle the soundfonts through software (like kind of a plugin). Like the E-mu cards with their "built-in" sampler. But maybe I'm wrong? All this marketingspeak on their websites hasn't made it very clear to me.

The Live and Audigys still load SFs as they did and use no CPU. The new EMUs however are a completely software solution which = CPU usage. What the EMUs do is have on board FX with a VST plugin which makes the EMUS like the PowerCores or UAD1.