Sound Level alway too high + other questions

Sound level always too high

I’m very inexperinced with ntrack so please bear with me.
(There is so much! A different question on that below)

Following the help files and tutorial and even a video at audiominds…I’ve tried to set my input sound levels accordingly …however I alway wind up with them “going into the red” and clipping. This is even with my line-input level set at “0”. Any thoughts on adjustments, etc.? I’m at a loss…

A couple more questions while i’m at it:
1) While there is info in this forum, audiominds, etc. Is there any “book” or PDF that has been written about NTRACK teaching about it and all of the functionality (if not…someone could make some $$)
2) I’m wanting to record vocals and guitar at the same time…I’m thinking of getting a Behringer mixer on the cheap and using that…That should work out okay shouldn’t it.

Posting more about your signal chain (how and what all you have connected), what soundcard you have and what OS you are using will help in determining possible solutions.

Have you read through the Manual?

You saying that you are clipping during recording even with the line-input level at 0 tells me that, either you are recording via the mic-input or you have turned down the line-input playback level and not the record level.

Having a mixer is an ideal way of sending multiple signals to the soundcard. Not to mention the bonus of getting a few mic pres that most mixers offer.

Check out the manual and post back some more info on your setup. Then we can figure out where to go from there.

HTH

-Ken

I'm wanting to record vocals and guitar at the same time...I'm thinking of getting a Behringer mixer on the cheap and using that

..good place to start. It will allow you to use your single stereo line in for vocals and guitar on different channels. Using a berry mixer pan the guitar hard R and the vocals hard left. If you record to two separate mono channels you can then mix/apply effects to the two signals separately. You will also be able to control the gain coming in to the line in via the mixer controls. UB802 is about the minimum berry mixer. If you are thinking of spending more, go for one with inserts and/or direct outs as you will find the ability to tap individual channels of much benefit in the future as your setup inevitably becomes more complex.

Maaszy

(SHOOT. Couldn’t login to reply with right uid/pwd then logged in posted and it lost my reply)

AMD 1800+
MSI k4N720 mobo w/integrated audio

MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
NVIDIA® nForce™ Audio
NVIDIA® nForce™ Audio Codec Interface
NVIDIA® nForce™ MCP Audio Processing Unit (Dolby® Digital)

512MB ram

Window XP pro w/sp2

sorry for lack of info i usually post that kind of stuff.

>Have you read through the Manual?
the parts i thought were relavent but that didn’t help.

>via the mic-input or you have turned down the line-input >playback level and not the record level.
no to both, i was very careful about that.

>Having a mixer is an ideal way of sending multiple
I’m going to look into that tonight.

double DOH!
using ntrack 3.2

Well that just blows my mind ???
If you are in fact recording via the Line IN and you have the Record level of the Line IN turned all the way down … You should be getting NO signal recorded.
I know you said you where very careful about that, but … double click the little speaker down by the clock … click Options in that mixer window … select Properties … click the little Recording button in “Adjust volume for” … place a check mark in all of the option listed under “Show the following volume controls” … now click OK.
You should now be looking at the Recoding Control mixer for your soundcard.
Each control has a check box under it for selecting that device as the recording input.
Make sure the Line IN is selected with a check mark.
If Line IN is in fact selected and it’s Recording control fader is turned all the way down, there should be no way that you should be able to record a signal from the Line IN jack of the soundcard. Unless that onboard sound card isn’t working properly.
Which in reality, you would do much better with something like the
Audiophile 2496 and a simple mixer.

HTH

-Ken

Just a point to take note of, make sure you’re adjusting the recording levels, not the playback levels, which is easy enough to miss using the windows mixer. “Adjust settings for…” and select "recording"

Willy.

The other (easier) way to get to recording controls is from n-Track’s menu:

View -> Soundcard’s Mixer -> Recording Controls

There’s also a function key assigned to it, and you can see which one when you use the menu.

well, thanks all…but i triple checked and what i said was true:(
I am going into line in
I am in the Recording properties
i do have the level turned all the way down
(if i turn it up i get awful buzzzzzz from the speakers)
The only way i can control the input level is two ways both of which stink
1) Adjust the input level via the LEVEL on the amp and/or Volume knob of my guitar
2) add a blank track record to it and use the mixer to adjust level then record over it…YUCK

anyway, thanks for the input…I did buy a Behringer Mixer tonight (shhhh don’t tell the wife):stuck_out_tongue:
And I’m building a new machine soon…maybe there is something about my integrated audio that isn’t up to snuff. If i figure anything out i will post.

Which output on your amp are you using?

If it’s the speaker output, that’s the problem – DON’T DO THAT! It could damage your computer.

If it’s a line output or effects loop, then this output is simply too hot on your amp. Probably you have the gain turned way, way up. The solution would be to add some resistance in line between your amp and your computer.

BTW, since you’re recording “direct in” with an electric guitar, you’ll also need speaker cabinet modeling for it to sound good. It’s surprising how much of the sound of an “amp” is due to the speaker(s).

There’s a free and half-decent cabinet modeler plugin effect called “Combo” by MDA, which you can download from mda-vst.com (and go to “VST Effects”). But don’t worry about that until you get the main issue sorted out here.

Also make sure you’re going into a line leve input, not a mic level one. Many of the built in soundcards these days just use one input which has a ‘Gain boost’ option in advanced properties. If you’ve got this, make sure it’s unchecked.

Some of the built in soundcards just seem to have a mic level input. May be the case with your one - I don’t know. You might just want to check out a replacement soundcard which will give you better results anyway. Something like the M-Audio audiophile (the original one) is pretty cheap these days.

-Dan

I had this problem for a while until I upgraded my drivers. This was for a Creative soundcard. I couldn’t get the input level low enough to get a clean signal and have it loud enough to record. Updating the drivers changed the range of levels and now records fine.

Dave T2

Okay, couple of things

Yes i was using speaker output…my crate GX-15 only had headphones and speaker (headphones I’m not getting anything out of). Only way to control was by adjusting level.

No wasn’t using mic input i did do the line input. I’ve been double/triple checking all.

My sound is integrated and I have have updated the drivers associated in the past (but I’ll go double check on that one…thanks)

I did pick up a Behringer 1202 on sale…just did a quick and dirty simple test tonight and it seems that I can control my levels a LOT better via this…(NOTE: I still turn the line recording level (yes recording not playback) all the way down and use the mixer to control level). Seems to be working okay…SOMEDAY i may invest more money in an actual better soundcard.

thanks to all

If that’s a 15-watt amp, then you’re probably OK using the speaker output, but you’re definitely driving the line inputs in voltage ranges they weren’t designed to see, and with a current supply that will make mincemeat out of them if they ever do flicker.

The good side is that a line input has a high impedance. This effectively keeps the current from the amp “getting in” and causing trouble. BTW, I suspect you’re better off using a line input on a channel other than one with an XLR mike input on that Behringer – I suspect the “line” inputs on those channels might be less than 10Kohms. (If the specs say otherwise, never mind me.)

Another good thing is that if you fry the Behringer, it’s no big deal. If you fry your soundcard, no telling what else might come down as collateral damage. The Behringer should, for the most part, act as a nice little fuse between your amp and your computer.

I’m no hardware dude, so I asked Mac at audiominds.com to help me and run the numbers. Based on his calculations, a 100 watt amp is likely to be in the trouble zone – not that it would necessarily fail right away, but you’re courting trouble since you’d be near the wattage rating for typical resistors in line input circuits. Even at 50 watts he wasn’t particularly happy, IIRC, but then hardware guys like to stay well on the safe side of any line (proof they’re not foolish, or that they’ve learned the hard way).

Also, note that he was talking about typical parts in typical circuits. If the manufacturer wants to save money, that reduces the margin of safety.

Good luck :)