sound quality problem solved

I reccently got a Delta 66 off of evilbay to use with Ntrack. this past weekend was the first real time I had to put it thru it’s paces. I immediately noticed the sound quality was off…I tried tons of different things (pre’s, mics, placements) then I decided to record a track straight into Sound Forge…Sounded very clear…N sounded muffled…went round and round checking, unchecking boxes, preferences, buffereing etc…finally got it!..the only setting that records clearly is the “record stereo track” in the record vu settings control panel…No other setting sounds even decent (not even “record 2 tracks, mono”)…of course with a mono source you end up with one channel blank and then you have to spit the stereo track and delete the empty one…but it does sound really true and sweet…anyone having quality issues (I use version 3.3, the last build before 4) might look into these settings…

Cheers,
Ray

ps. Happy Holidays Everyone

Hey Ray! Happy holidays to you too! :)

How different did the tracks sound? Was it really noticable? And what could possibly explain that behavior?:

The tracks sounded VERY different…lacking in high end…most likely some type of phase issue (?)…it had me baffled. I remember posting last year about some differences in sound quality between N and Sound Forge…maybe this was it all along…It seems N is happiest recording a stereo track, at least with the 2 Delta products I have…maybe it is optimized for common sound blaster type cards with one stereo input jack? I would like to try this with another mutlitrack software program and compare…any who (voice of Frank Burns)…I can finally cut some tracks tonight…I think my nephew is going to grab that Vox modeling amp…we tried it out after you liked it so much…really good tone and variety. Exactly what I would expect from a Vox…

Cheers,
Ray

Ray

Yes, the vox is makng me very happy. I could wish for some place to store presets, but it really gets a good cleanish-overdriven sound with my tele.

I’ll try the stereo/two mono thing with the Aardvark tonight - I’m really curious…