Soundblaster audigy card

I was wondering am I able to hook up an instrument into my sound card where its neutral as opposed to having to select a specific driver for like a synthesizer. I mightve worded that incorrectly. I select for example wdm roland sh201 as my recording device but now I want to play my guitar, which my pc doesnt recognize so is there a kind of neutral audio recording option I can select to play any instrument that I hook up to my soundcard?

First off, don’t use the creative ASIO drivers. They’re problems to no end. Use ASIO4ALL driver for your Audigy.
Which ever recording device you select will be the one that records. I have not tested to see if two devices, both selected to record can record at the same time.

As far as I know you can’t use your sound card to record if the Roland is selected as your recording device. Just plug-in your guitar into the line in on your sound card and select ASIO4ALL as your recording and playback device. You’ll also have to set in windows sound control record panel to use the line in as well. Furthermore, you also need to set in windows sound control playback panel to Wave so you can hear what you recorded.

I suggest you get a audio interface and move away from using your Audigy. When I first started doing music, I took the same approach/path your on and even with the ASIO4ALL drivers there were issues, such as sound quality because of the using the line in for the guitar and it took me a while to figure things out, therefore I make the suggestion to get an audio interface. For example the Line 6 UX2 is a good start, you get solid ASIO drivers and guitar effects to use. Thats what I use and I’ve done 4 Albums.

There are many audio interfaces out there, some with built-in amp emulation and others that don’t, so just ask for recommendations from users here and you’ll get a good list. Be advised, most of these audio interfaces require a set of speakers to connect to in order to monitor (hear) what your recording and hear playback. Most also have a headphone jack so, this can be used until you get some speakers going.

Hope this helps,
PACO

Thanks, I’m thinking of getting the focusrite scarlett 8i6 interface. It seems to fit my needs.