soundcard - Line out to Line in

will this work? Cause damage?

I am teaching middle school students about digital audio using Ntrack.
I have been using an old mixer to supply preamps and play CDs into the computer. The CD player is dying.
Can I use the CD player on the computer to “play in” the recordings by coming out of the Line-out into the Line-in on the same on-the-board sound card?
Could this damage the equipment in any way?
I do Not want to use a ripper to get songs - we are using royality free music files but the kids Might bring CDs from home and rip them if the computer had the program - don’t want that to happen.
Thanks
Bax

Sure it will work. I used to do that all the time to render MIDI files to audio .wav files. Just watch your level controls in the mixer applet, and go!

TG :)

are you doing this to record the audio from the cd as a track in n-track? i think there’s a way to do it without cables, if that’s what you’re trying to do.

<!–QuoteBegin>

are you doing this to record the audio from the cd as a track in n-track? i think there’s a way to do it without cables, if that’s what you’re trying to do.

That’s right. Set the windows mixer recording source to WAVE and you’ll route the output of the sourndcard to the input without a cable… however, since the purpose of the exercise is to stop students ripping CDs this might not be so helpful… at least you can remove the cable and lock it away.

Thanks - I’ll give the no-cable thing a try.

What am I missing here. Why not use WinAmp or WinMedia Player to just play the CD in the PC?

Alternatively use CDex to rip CDs to MP3s on the PC.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Alternatively use CDex to rip CDs to MP3s on the PC.

What you are missing is this:

<!–QuoteBegin>
I do Not want to use a ripper to get songs - we are using royality free music files but the kids Might bring CDs from home and rip them if the computer had the program - don’t want that to happen.

Put the ripper program on a USB memory key and run it from there.

Of course, your students probably already know this trick, and a dozen others. I bet if you ask them how to record a CD onto your PC, they’d show you they can already do it. :wink:

Oh – back to your real question.

This is fine, but first, BE SURE to go to the Playback Control panel (double-click on speaker icon in systray to get there, or n-Track “View -> Soundcard’s Mixer -> Playback controls”) and MUTE the LINE IN. If you don’t do that, you’ll get a feedback cycle. Not really likely to damage the line inputs, but will certainly annoy the heck out of anyone within earshot if you have any speakers attached. And no guarantee that it won’t cause soundcard, amp, or speaker damage, either.