Soundcard

Hello all, long time no see. I haven’t been here since 2008 but I’ve decided to get back into it. I had a Soundblaster live 5.1 Digital sound card in my old computer running Windows XP but when I upgraded my computer and the operating system to Windows Vista the sound card would not work. Is there a way to get it to work or will I need to update my sound card, if I need to upgrade what do people recommend these days?
Thank you for any advice.

Quote: (accentstencil @ Oct. 07 2011, 12:12 PM)

Hello all, long time no see. I haven't been here since 2008 but I've decided to get back into it. I had a Soundblaster live 5.1 Digital sound card in my old computer running Windows XP but when I upgraded my computer and the operating system to Windows Vista the sound card would not work. Is there a way to get it to work or will I need to update my sound card, if I need to upgrade what do people recommend these days?

Greetings... and welcome back.

I'd be extreeeeemly surprised if you couldn't get a humble Soundblaster to work in Vista.

When you say it doesn't work, what do you mean? Are there warning triangles in Device Manager? Have you tried loading a Vista driver for the Soundblaster? It's just got to work....
Quote: (Mark A @ Oct. 06 2011, 8:04 PM)

Quote: (accentstencil @ Oct. 07 2011, 12:12 PM)

Hello all, long time no see. I haven't been here since 2008 but I've decided to get back into it. I had a Soundblaster live 5.1 Digital sound card in my old computer running Windows XP but when I upgraded my computer and the operating system to Windows Vista the sound card would not work. Is there a way to get it to work or will I need to update my sound card, if I need to upgrade what do people recommend these days?

Greetings... and welcome back.

I'd be extreeeeemly surprised if you couldn't get a humble Soundblaster to work in Vista.

When you say it doesn't work, what do you mean?
Are there warning triangles in Device Manager?
Have you tried loading a Vista driver for the Soundblaster?
It's just got to work....

Thank you for the reply and welcome..
I couldn't remember what the problem was because it was three years ago, so I've just tried again.
After installing the sound card I tried to install the software but received a message saying that set-up could not detect the sound card, so after restarting the computer the found new hardware box came up enabling Windows to install the software. A message then appeared saying that the software has been successfully installed. Immediately after that a blue screen appeared saying that an error occurred and windows needs to shut down. Then the computer won't boot any more, eventually I am able to start it in safe mode and do a system restore.
I tried the whole install again with the same results.
I checked the Creative web site for software but nothing for Vista.
I will be giving up now and am looking for recommendations for a new sound card.
Please excuse any spelling errors that got past my editing, now my keyboard is playing up and I am getting double letter and spaces nearly every time I hit a key, just to top it off.

Ok, so maybe you got a faulty card. Unlucky…

So what’s your budget for a new card and do you mainly want it for recording?

It was working fine for years with XP.
Budget of around AU$100 which is about the same as US dollars and I want it for recording music (vocals mainly) with nTrack.

How about a USB interface?

Quote: (TomS @ Oct. 07 2011, 7:22 AM)

How about a USB interface?

I don't know, I haven't really looked into them. I saw some cheap ones on ebay whilst looking for sound cards but being so cheap it thought they would be inferior.

I had another look on ebay and found a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro (USB) but I thought I read somewhere on here that these were no good for recording. Can anyone confirm or deny this.

I could never get an SB card to run smoothly with n-Track and xp s3, and bought one of these:
http://www.studiospares.com/audio-i…dnm8wQQ
Nice.

Quote: (TonyR @ Oct. 07 2011, 6:54 PM)

I could never get an SB card to run smoothly with n-Track and xp s3, and bought one of these:
http://www.studiospares.com/audio-i....dnm8wQQ
Nice.

Thanks for the link. The site is temporarily down for upgrade, will try again later.

Now that my attention has been drawn towards an audio interface could I get your opinions on this item, bearing in mind I am in Australia and items in the US are sometimes not so easy to access. The price is about what I would like to spend.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm…ccfe9f1

Some of the Alesis stuff does not have drivers for 64 bit OS (I had an 8 channel Alesis that I think is that unit’s bigger brother, for a brief period, and it was only 32 bit OS).
I would check that.
Also, the build is pretty shabby.
I suspect this would be better:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm…d2a98cd

But that is just based on my experience with both Alesis and Mackie stuff - the Mackie has always been good quality, the Alesis not so much.

Tascam stuff I’ve used and has been pretty good. I’m pretty sure D/KW has the US122. I have the 16 input thingy - the model number of which escapes me at the moment.

Also a vote for Edirol/Roland/Cakewalk. I have the UA-25x. Very solid.

I like my M-audio fastrack. :)

and ‘it’ likes you, too, Tom.

Quote: (TonyR @ Oct. 08 2011, 6:07 PM)

and 'it' likes you, too, Tom.

Why can't we all just be friends?
Quote: (TomS @ Oct. 09 2011, 10:56 AM)

Quote: (TonyR @ Oct. 08 2011, 6:07 PM)

and 'it' likes you, too, Tom.

Why can't we all just be friends?

Oh dear!?
I now have an image of you in a terrible, emotional, sherry-drenched and sorry state:-)

I have your sound card on FB;-)

I hate sherry. Can it be beer-soaked?

Beer wouldn’t quite fit the image. It would need to be something more soporific and emotive, more opiately inclined. More Baudelaire.