SoundSoap Plugin Delay

I just bought SoundSoap 2 to take some amp noise out of a guitar track. When I put it on a track the track becomes delayed by a split second. I have tons of other plugins and nothing else has ever exhibited this effect. It’s as if SoundSoap overwhelmes n-Track’s ability to compensate for the plugin delay. I’m using n 4.0.5.

I used the DX version of the plugin. It also has a VST version available and I’ll try that next to see if it acts any different.

Anyone else use SoundSoap? Is there some setting that tells n-Track to compensate for the delay of a particular plugin?

btw; it sure works to take out amp noise in a guitar track. Amazing.

Hi 8th_note:
I think there’s a box to check in n-Track’s preferences to combinsate for plug-in latency… It’s under “Options”…

Bill…

Some plugins don’t follow the rules and n-Track can’t compensate. That is, a plugin has to report its latency for N to compensate, and some don’t. If the box Bill mentions is checked, then contact the SoundSoap guys and find out what you can do. If they can’t help, there are manual methods but they’re a nuisance.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Some plugins don’t follow the rules and n-Track can’t compensate. That is, a plugin has to report its latency for N to compensate, and some don’t. If the box Bill mentions is checked, then contact the SoundSoap guys and find out what you can do. If they can’t help, there are manual methods but they’re a nuisance.

Well, the box is checked and all my other plugins work fine so I’ll see what SoundSoap says about it. I’ve got plugins from at least 4 other companies and they all work perfect with n-Track.

SoundSoap has to analyze the wave upfront (or buffers larger than most realtime plug-ins) to be able to do what it does. While it can be used in apps in realtime I’d be very surprised if it would be designed to be used in real time. I didn’t see anything about it working as a realtime effect in any of the reviews nor Bias’s website.

There are quite a few effects I’ve run across that don’t do realtime very well (most were SoundForge made for use in SoundForge but not as realtime effects, and one was a noise reducer).

It’s also possible that it is reporting it’s latency correctly but it’s too far out there for n-Tracks to compensate if there is a compensation limit in n-Tracks. It could potentially be a few seconds depending on how it does what it does, compared to a few milliseconds or samples for “realtime” effects.

I’d be willing bet SoundSoap works with a set sample size like SIR except larger chunks. If it does manually adding compensation may be a bit easier once figured out.

Good point, phoo: I forgot to ask whether this delay is evident when recording the track (using LIVE mode), or whether it happens on playback.

The former isn’t correctable; it’s inherent in the kind of processing as phoo mentions. The latter is what N can and should compensate for, but only if the plugin supports it by reporting the latency.

Also, are you using it as a track plugin or on an aux? I’m not sure of the details, but I understand that can make a difference.