Spaz Attack!

I found an undocumented feature, I think. If I press Ctrl-P to look at my preferences, my entire system locks up and I have to turn the machine off and back on. Anybody else encountered this?

Duh… I neglected to mention that it was during playback.

Hi ellarrwhofan:
I tried it… The cursor locks up the The time-line stops scanning. The play button is in the “ON” depressed position… I don’t get a n-Track is not responding, though…

After 20-25 seconds everything returns to normal, and begins working, after I press “Stop” and push “Play”… again…

It sure looks like n-Track is Locked up…

Oh Yea… The “Settings” screen appears…

Bill…

N has always locked up if accessing settings during record or playback. I finally realized that this is a safety feature, even if unintended. Do you really want to change sample rate in the middle of a tune? :)

'til next;
TW

(wynot @ Jul. 02 2007,06:17)
N has always locked up if accessing settings during record or playback. I finally realized that this is a safety feature, even if unintended. Do you really want to change sample rate in the middle of a tune? :)

'til next;
TW

I see your point, but was wondering if someone might know if there was something wrong with XP or something. My machine goes into Brick mode and has to be turned off and back on when this happens.

Now it just locks up whenever I try to invoke Preferences from the menu or by keystroke. Doesn’t matter what I happen to be doing at the time.

And no, it’s not a slowdown. It locks the machine up solid and it has to be turned off and restarted, Not reboot. Keyboard and mouse are both frozen. Power down and back up is the only solution.

Is your CPU fan running? Do you have a case fan? Is it running? When CPU’s overheat, the unit freezes up. Just a thought.

Wasn’t there a chant here of “drivers, drivers, drivers” a few years ago?

Perhaps there is a dodgy driver causing problems here.

(vanclan @ Jul. 03 2007,22:46)
Is your CPU fan running? Do you have a case fan? Is it running? When CPU's overheat, the unit freezes up. Just a thought.

Yeah, it's a good thought. The HP model I have has good fans and they are running. It'll shut itself down before it gets into trouble. It happens only when I'm in n-Track and try to select certain items off the menu, Preferences being the chief offender.

(XonXoff @ Jul. 04 2007,01:35)
Wasn't there a chant here of "drivers, drivers, drivers" a few years ago?

Perhaps there is a dodgy driver causing problems here.

Ah, drivers. I wonder which is the likely culprit. It could be my Lexicon Omega's ASIO driver. I'll try getting the latest and greatest and see how it works.

I was thinking: Would an uninstall/reinstall help? Anybody got any experience with that?

downloaded latest drivers from Lexicon’s website and voila! It all works now. Got my buffers dialed in so that nasty distortion is gone.

thanks for your suggestions!

Now to deal with the latency… >:-(

ellarrwhofan,

Just so you know you’re not alone, I’m having the same problem. Computer freezes and must be shut off (or a couple of times had to be unplugged from the AC). I hadn’t connected the “preferences” menu with it, but after reading your post I recall that when this happened last night I was attempting to set up my preferences after downloading the latest version of n.

I’ve had several crashes and freezes with n-Track ever since about build 2280. My audio drivers are up-to-date (M-Audio Delta, Fastrack USB, and Creative Audigy 2 ZS).

Since updating your drivers seemed to help you, I’ll try updating and/or reinstalling mine tonight. Wish me luck!

Don

(dontuck @ Jul. 06 2007,13:17)
ellarrwhofan,

Just so you know you're not alone, I'm having the same problem. Computer freezes and must be shut off (or a couple of times had to be unplugged from the AC). I hadn't connected the "preferences" menu with it, but after reading your post I recall that when this happened last night I was attempting to set up my preferences after downloading the latest version of n.

I've had several crashes and freezes with n-Track ever since about build 2280. My audio drivers are up-to-date (M-Audio Delta, Fastrack USB, and Creative Audigy 2 ZS).

Since updating your drivers seemed to help you, I'll try updating and/or reinstalling mine tonight. Wish me luck!

Don

How'd it go?

So far so good.

I checked for driver updates. Then I rean CCCleaner and Registry First Aid to clean up the registry, temp files, etc. Rebooted the compute. Reinstalled n-Track again (build 2283).

I did just a little test recording last night. Imported a MIDI file off the internet, got rid of all the junk on it by deleting all the tracks I didn’t want or need. Then I recorded some acoustic guitar tracks.

I also opened an old project that I had started some time ago. It had vocal, rhtym guitar, and bass audio tracks and 2 MIDI drum tracks. I deleted the MIDI tracks and added an instrument track for n-Track drums. I used one of the stock pattern sets. It played right in sync with the old tracks and nothing crashed.

Everything seems to be working properly and staying in sync. I’m keeping my fingers crossed and hope to do a little more playing with it tonight.

I hope yours is coninuing to work well.

Don