Speakers

Thanks for all your suggestions on soundcards :)

I have another question regarding speakers…what do you think of these - "Labtec Pulse 485 28w RMS 2.1 Subwoofer "?

http://www.mediaatlantic.com/product…b26506c

If they aren’t good for monitoring music, what would be a better option for around the same price?

You’re joking right? :D

Anyway, never heard them I’m afraid.

However, anything that claims to use “RMS Watts” instantly irritates me. :D

“Wood subwoofer for solid audio performance”.

Mahogany or pine? ???

As for something at the same price; well, you get what you pay for, and for 20 quid, you won’t get much.

Joe,

You would be better spending your money on an old (1970’s) set of hi-fi speakers, rather than PC speakers. PC speakers (and modern hi-fi) are “hyped” to sound “good” rather than accurate (which is what we want when mixing music).

HTH

Mark

As long as it is northern pine, and not southern pine, OK…

Joe, a word based on experience, your mixes will totally suck unless you have speakers that do what they are supposed to do. How about some of the cheaper behringer speakers?

Hi Joe,

You will be looking for speakers that give you as flat a frequency response as possible. That way if your mixes sound good on them they will sound pretty good anywhere, otherwise you will get an unrealistic representation of what your tunes sound like on your home system.

This means that when you try and play them back on someones elses system, they will sound really funky and you wont know why.

Hope that helps some.

Ted

Yeah, a mixture of old speakers with a flatter sound will give you a much better image than a single set of new “computer” speakers. I have some old speakers my grandfather actually built from a kit that I use for reference sometimes (plus my stereo goes through them). But I’m glad I plunked down the cash for a pair of KRK Rokit 5’s. #### these things are smokin.

Woah, I can’t say “####”?

Nope, you #### well can’t say #### :)

Whatever speakers you end up with, you’ll need to spend a lot of time with them to get familiar with them on music/productions you know well. The same goes for your room - it’s absolutely essential that you know what your room sounds like. Calibrate your ears while mixing running your mix back to back with pro commercial releases that are in the same ballpark of what you’re trying to achieve.

It’s a pain but necessary. The low end is especially tricky ???

There’s a lot of good info there Joe, especially Teryeah’s; print that post out and memorise it! :D

You need to compare your mixes with “good professional” ones, but to do that, you need “honest” speakers.

No colouration, no added sweetness, just honesty.

Don’t worry about the bass end too much (see the thread about sub bass mixing), so your speakers don’t have to be big, and unless you’re prepared to pay big bux for a sub, don’t use one.

Tandy (RadioShack I think it’s called in the US), used to do a wee thing called minimax or something. Not much bass, but very honest otherwise.

And of course, as Mark, Ted and Octopus said, listen on a variety of speakers, but get a decent pair of monitors for your main workhorse. It ain’t cheap, but it’s worth it. :)

Ali

Quote (Sceptic Tank @ July 29 2005,15:58)
You’re joking right?

Anyway, never heard them I’m afraid.

However, anything that claims to use “RMS Watts” instantly irritates me. :D

“Wood subwoofer for solid audio performance”.

Mahogany or pine? ???

As for something at the same price; well, you get what you pay for, and for 20 quid, you won’t get much.

I was gona say the same thing,

You need to go for what is called “Studio Monitors” they should give a you a neutral sound that doesn’t add any extra crap that normal pc/entertainment speakers do.
Sadly I learned the hard way when i first began, most of my mixes were crap till i got a pair of monitors

here are two links for 2 different monitors that i have
A decent pair of low priced monitors that i use

New monitors which i am about to get way better that the ones above