Speaking of cheap mics

here’s one

MCM is selling the AT “Bite” instrument mics for 9 dollars US again. Not quite an sm 57, but in the ballpark, and easily worth 9 bucks. Good second mic on an electric guitar amp. To get the sale price you have to have the source code off of the catalog (I have it). Otherwise they are 13 bucks, which is still much less than the 50 dollar street price. :) I bought two a few months ago 'cause I am rather cheap, and I hve used them regularly.

http://mcm.newark.com/NewarkW…795&N=4

Hi Tom:
Those mics look quite fastenating… Your mic closet should have a good cross-section of mics, now…

Bill…

It does, of cheap mics at any rate. :)

They really aren’t bad mics, great for folks who need to make do on the cheap.

You know…I bought an old “Hammerhead” mic once. Think I paid ten bucks for it. They were used for broadcasting a lot…especially television…once upon a time. They have almost no low end, but that was cool because tvs had two inch speakers, so low end information wasn’t really needed.

Anyway, I love to use that rascal to mic guitar cabinets. You take the time to place it properly and you can get a decent bit of low end, but the mic properties bring out the top end nicely. So it’s almost like you eq’d the mids down a bit to begin with.

I loves me some cheap mics.

TK

Hammerhead? A Shure 55?

do you think this would work okay for miking toms? specifically the smaller (not floor) tom(s)?

I’m in need of a cheapie mic for use on drum toms…

thanks

Do they ship overseas? Can’t find anything on the site… BTW, whats the code?

They work OK on toms, better on snare, a bit brighter than an sm 57, but for the parsimonious like me, they work. :) The low end is pretty weak, so floor toms will lose a bit of oomph, as I am guessing you guessed. But for smaller toms, well, not ideal, but then they’re only 9 bucks each. If you’d like I can email an mp3 of a couple of hits of a rack tom with the mic on it.

Willy - Do they ship overseas? I don’t know, actually. I’ll send you the code in about three hours when I get home. :)

Hey guys
I picked this mic up at an antique mall. I just about messed my pants when I saw it. I had been looking for a classic ribbon mic. Then I saw the price tag on it! 20 bucks!!!
I did have to change my pants:D It needed a little work which I couldn’t do, but 180 bucks later I got a really sweet mic. It sure ain’t pretty but it sure sounds good. Always keep your eyes open and check out the antique malls. Later I found out from a friend that he got about 10 of these out of a dumpster that the local college threw away. He’s a car mechanic and what did he do? He cut the cords off to use in his shop and tossed the mics :(

Prize mic

Quote (jeromee @ Oct. 22 2004,07:41)
Hey guys
I picked this mic up at an antique mall. I just about messed my pants when I saw it. I had been looking for a classic ribbon mic. Then I saw the price tag on it! 20 bucks!!!
I did have to change my pants:D It needed a little work which I couldn't do, but 180 bucks later I got a really sweet mic. It sure ain't pretty but it sure sounds good. Always keep your eyes open and check out the antique malls. Later I found out from a friend that he got about 10 of these out of a dumpster that the local college threw away. He's a car mechanic and what did he do? He cut the cords off to use in his shop and tossed the mics :(

Prize mic

Hey, who did the restoration? I have a 77DX and had Steven Sank do it. Very nice. Is that a 77D? ???

Hey TomS
I really can’t remember. That was in '98. My studio partner was the drummer in a band called Pavement and he lived in NY for a couple of years and sent it up to the city to have it restored. It have the original tabletop stand on it and the underside sticker said it was a model 97A.

That’s the stand model. Anything on the mic itself?

“Pavement” as in the band on matador? :D

Yes on pavement. Steve W. lives in town here. They rehearsed thier last album “terror twilight” here (mentions lexington,va on the liner notes). Steve is originally from richmond va. We started an adat studio in '97 and record way too much bluegrass (d*** the cohen brothers:D ) and some pretty good rock bands. Anyway I haven’t cracked the mic open to look at it. No wonder I couldn’t find any info on the model :p
Thanks for the info on the stand!
Jeremy

Judging from pics I’m pretty sure it is a model 77. The place in the city offered me $1000 for it broken. I said NFS! I’m happy!

Oh, it is a 77, the question is, is it a 77A, a 77 B, 77C, a 77D or a 77 DX? The older, the more they are worth. Mine is a DX.

Here is a link to some documentation - just scroll down:

http://www.k-bay106.com/photos.htm

Edit: it looks like a D to me. Worth more. :)

edit edit:

Oh, and the desk stand should say 91 and not 97.

Edit edit edit:

OK, I’m curious - the 91 stands came in several flavors, and I think the 91-D came with the 77d and 77Dx, and so a 91-C would have come with a 77C. The stand alone goes for 150 dollars or so. Perhaps you have a 77C with the matching stand?

OK, it’s a C1 or later, and now I’m betting on C1. If so, you have very very very good karma.

edit, OK, I take it all back, all I know is that it is not a 77 A or a 77C. Could be a B, C1, D or DX.

They seemed to indicate it was from the late 40’s
I will try to do some research on it an let you know.
Are there any certain ways to distinguish it between all the others ie a,b,c. I couldn’t get the link to work. Thanks for your help.

Judging by the pics on the link that I got to work :) (thanks) The size looks like a B or B1.