split track recording

split track recording

I am a music teacher and I need to do a split track recording of my choir for a performance at Disney World. They require you to put your vocals on one channel and the music on another channel so you have a split track CD when you are done. How do you do this? I just purchased this software and do not have any idea how to do this! Help!

The recording of two tracks should not be a great problem, but I don’t know how they want you to do the performance.
I think what they are asking for is a stereo recording with the voices on one side and the instruments on the other. I presume they don’t want the voices obsured by the instruments. If they want “absolute” seperation" I don’t think a choir is going to do very well - they need an an accompanist.
Just set one mic at the piano (or whatever) and record to the Left channel. Set the other mic (or mics on a mixer) to the Right channel and do the recording.
You might ask them if this is what they want.

We will be singing with a CD accompaniment. So you are saying put the CD accompaniment through one channel and record the voices in the other channel? They want you to record it this way so that when you perform outside they can mix in the voices if the group isn’t singing out loud enough. We’ve done this before but it’s been years ago taped with a cassette tape.

I may be missing something here but can’t you simply do this in the mixdown ? Record your vocal performance in Ntrack then mix down vocal to one side and track to other? Do you know how to record your choir using out of phase monitoring?

Quote: (awise @ Feb. 13 2008, 9:31 AM)

We will be singing with a CD accompaniment.
So you are saying put the CD accompaniment through one channel and record the voices in the other channel?
They want you to record it this way so that when you perform outside they can mix in the voices if the group isn't singing out loud enough.
We've done this before but it's been years ago taped with a cassette tape.

that's all you have to do - record the CD on one track and the choir on the other.

A little more detail might help awise. When you rip a CD track, it will be a stereo wav file (rip it as a wav file, not an mp3). Bring that into n-Track and split the stereo track to two mono tracks. Set the pan of both those tracks to full left (or right). Record the choir using a mic and set that track pan full the other way (right or left). Mix that down, and you will have what they want.

Thanks for your help! I clearly know nothing about this type of thing and will be passing this on to my sound guy! Thanks!