Spy Agencies Say Iraq War Fuels Terror

Surprise, surprise…

The conflict spreads extremism and serves as a laboratory for deadly tactics, says a bleak analysis by 16 U.S. intelligence units

<!–QuoteBegin>

WASHINGTON — The war in Iraq has made global terrorism worse by fanning Islamic radicalism and providing a training ground for lethal methods that are increasingly being exported to other countries, according to a sweeping assessment by U.S. intelligence agencies.

The classified document, which represents a consensus view of all 16 U.S. intelligence agencies, paints a considerably bleaker picture of the impact of the Iraq war than Bush administration or U.S. intelligence officials have acknowledged publicly, according to officials familiar with the assessment.
They conclude that the Iraq war has made it worse," said a government official familiar with the document who spoke on condition of anonymity because of its classified nature.

President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney repeatedly have described the war in Iraq as the central front in the war on terrorism and argue that Americans are safer as a result of the administration’s policies.

The report, titled “Trends in Global Terrorism: Implications for the United States,” was completed and described to U.S. government officials in April but not made public. The document is what is known as a National Intelligence Estimate, or NIE, which is designed to represent the U.S. intelligence community’s most comprehensive treatment of a subject.

The 30-page report documents an array of disturbing trends in the war on terrorism and focuses on forces that are contributing to the evolution of Islamic terrorist networks from centralized structures to an increasingly fragmented ideological movement.

“It paints a fairly stark picture of what we all know, and that this is a movement that is spreading and gaining momentum around the world,” said the official familiar with the document. “Things like the Iraq war have given the terrorists recruiting tools and places to ply their trade and a training ground.”

More on in this in the WP - Iraq war hurting terror fight, spy agencies say.

<!–QuoteBegin>

WASHINGTON - The war in Iraq has become the primary recruitment vehicle for violent Islamic extremists, motivating a new generation of potential terrorists around the world whose numbers are increasing faster than the United States and its allies are eliminating the threat, U.S. intelligence analysts have concluded.

A 30-page National Intelligence Estimate completed in April cites the “centrality” of the U.S. invasion of Iraq, and the insurgency that has followed, as the leading inspiration for new Islamic extremist networks and cells that are united by little more than an anti-Western agenda. Rather than contributing to eventual victory in the global counterterrorism struggle, it concludes that the situation in Iraq has worsened the U.S. position, according to officials familiar with the classified document.

“It’s a very candid assessment,” one intelligence official said yesterday of the estimate, the first formal examination of global terrorist trends written by the National Intelligence Council since the March 2003 invasion. "It’s stating the obvious."

At odds with recent Bush speeches
The NIE, whose contents were first reported by the New York Times, coincides with public statements by senior intelligence officials describing a different kind of conflict than the one outlined by President Bush in a series of recent speeches marking the fifth anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

“Together with our coalition partners,” Bush said in an address earlier this month to the Military Officers Association of America, "we’ve removed terrorist sanctuaries, disrupted their finances, killed and captured key operatives, broken up terrorist cells in America and other nations, and stopped new attacks before they’re carried out. We’re on the offense against the terrorists on every battlefront, and we’ll accept nothing less than complete victory."

But the battlefronts intelligence analysts depict are far more impenetrable and difficult, if not impossible, to combat with the standard tools of warfare.

Although intelligence officials agree that the United States has seriously damaged the leadership of al-Qaeda and disrupted its ability to plan and direct major operations, radical Islamic networks have spread and decentralized.

Many of the new cells, the NIE concludes, have no connection to any central structure and arose independently. They communicate only among themselves and derive their inspiration, ideology and tactics from the more than 5,000 radical Islamic Web sites. They spread the message that the Iraq war is a Western attempt to conquer Islam by first occupying Iraq and establishing a permanent presence in the Middle East.

Bush lying again - you decide.

And of course, you provide the actual text of the document and not just the comments of an unidentified source??

Please learn to read. First of all, my sources were identified, and the document is classified.

Quote (ksdb @ Sep. 25 2006,13:06)
And of course, you provide the actual text of the document and not just the comments of an unidentified source??

(translation)

Mike, I will never believe anything you post and will fight to make sure no one else does either.

Quote (Mr Soul @ Sep. 25 2006,14:34)
Please learn to read. First of all, my sources were identified, and the document is classified.

What part of anonymity means identified??

<!–QuoteBegin>
said a government official familiar with the document who spoke on condition of anonymity

Gee which part of the following is a first name or last name??

<!–QuoteBegin>
said the official familiar with the document.

Nothing like a collective, but unspecified source here:

<!–QuoteBegin>
U.S. intelligence analysts have concluded.

Identify the surname below:

<!–QuoteBegin>
one intelligence official said yesterday of the estimate

Since it’s classified, what is it doing in the newspapers five months later (and barely a month before the next general election)??

Hey Mike, you didn’t post the story that basically frames this story as the Democrat’s latest campaign platform (from CNN). Nope, nothing partisan here. At least they made sure to quote hardline Republicans in the story: McCain and Specter [/sarcasm off].

<!–QuoteBegin>

Dems: Leaked Iraq report shows need for new direction

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Part of a classified intelligence report that says the war in Iraq has increased the terrorist threat against the United States has fueled calls by congressional Democrats for a new direction in the nation’s war on terrorism.

U.S. intelligence and counterterrorism officials Sunday confirmed to CNN the contents of the leaked portion of the National Intelligence Estimate, which was first reported in the Sunday editions of The New York Times and The Washington Post.

Some intelligence officials have said as much in the past, but the newly revealed document is part of the government’s first formal report on global trends in terrorism. (Full story)

“Press reports say our nation’s intelligence services have confirmed that President Bush’s repeated missteps in Iraq and his stubborn refusal to change course have made America less safe,” Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, said. “No election-year White House PR campaign can hide this truth.”

The report confirms that the nation needs to take a new direction, said Rep. Rahm Emanuel, D-Illinois.

“Unfortunately this report is just confirmation that the Bush administration’s stay-the-course approach to the Iraq war has not just made the war more difficult and more deadly for our troops, but has also made the war on terror more dangerous for every American,” Emanuel said in a statement.

White House: Nothing new
But administration officials said that the document reveals nothing new and the leaked portion does not represent the entire document.

Director of National Intelligence John Negroponte, in a written statement Sunday, warned that any news report that includes "only a small handful of those judgments distorts the broad strategic framework the NIE is assessing – in this case, trends in global terrorism."

And White House spokesman Blair Jones told the AP that the media’s “characterization of the NIE is not representative of the complete document.”

The NIE, which is put out by the National Intelligence Council, began in 2004 and concluded in April. It is the most comprehensive report on intelligence provided by the government.

Intelligence officials told CNN the report said the war and the insurgency are the main recruiting vehicles for new Islamic extremists.

The extremists communicate through various Islamic Web sites and share an ideology with al Qaeda, the officials said.

Key war supporter not surprised
Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, told CBS’ “Face the Nation” that, while he knows nothing about the report, it would not be surprising if the Iraq war was a rallying point for terrorists.

“Frankly, it doesn’t astound me that we would get an intelligence report that if we’re not succeeding as well as we had hoped that that would encourage the enemy,” McCain said.

McCain stressed the importance of the Iraq war, describing progress there as “two steps forward, one step back.”

“I would argue that we need to prevail in Iraq and that, if we fail, then our problems will be much more complicated,” McCain said.

Sen. Arlen Specter said he was “very concerned about the intelligence report” and that the war is “the focal point for inspiring more radical Islam fundamentalism.”

“That’s a problem that nobody seems to have an answer to,” the Pennsylvania Republican said on CNN’s “Late Edition.”

It’s all just a sick twisted game. A power struggle by two desparate group of people who really care not a twit about what is good for the country. What is good for their wallets is much more important.

D’s nugget of truth for the day… :)

Sadly, I’m with TG

<!–QuoteBegin>

Hey Mike, you didn’t post the story that basically frames this story as the Democrat’s latest campaign platform (from CNN). Nope, nothing partisan here.

So I missed one - sorry about that. Anything about the war in Iraq could be viewed as partisan. Of course the Democrat’s are going to use this report (dahhhh). Of course, I’m going to cite it because it supports what I’ve been saying all along.

But stop trying to make me the subject (like you right-wingers always do), and focus on the content. Are you suggesting the that NIE is partisan?

<!–QuoteBegin>
A power struggle by two desparate group of people who really care not a twit about what is good for the country

That’s not true at all. The neo-con’s and Republicans want control of Iraq so oil gets cheaper for all of us :laugh:

Quote (Mr Soul @ Sep. 25 2006,16:22)
<!–QuoteBegin>
Hey Mike, you didn’t post the story that basically frames this story as the Democrat’s latest campaign platform (from CNN). Nope, nothing partisan here.

So I missed one - sorry about that. Anything about the war in Iraq could be viewed as partisan. Of course the Democrat’s are going to use this report (dahhhh). Of course, I’m going to cite it because it supports what I’ve been saying all along.

But stop trying to make me the subject (like you right-wingers always do), and focus on the content.

I did focus on content by asking for the text of the actual document and names of the sources who were quoted. Just because I refer to you by name (since you started the thread), doesn’t mean that you are the focus. The comment about being partisan referred to the story I posted, because it’s not the first time we’ve seen Democrat talking points parroted as hard news in the LMSM lately.

Quote (Mr Soul @ Sep. 25 2006,16:22)
Are you suggesting the that NIE is partisan?

No, just the reporting about it in the LMSM.

<!–QuoteBegin>

because it’s not the first time we’ve seen Democrat talking points parroted as hard news in the LMSM lately.

And it wouldn’t be the first time that the Republicans have done the same thing - right Joe?

Like we needed any more empirical confirmation that the policies have caused more division in the world than healing.

Duh.

Well Tom - you & I, of course, don’t need that. When this freakin’ war started, I can remember my wife & I agreeing that things were going to get really bad.

Quote (TomS @ Sep. 25 2006,18:46)
Like we needed any more empirical confirmation that the policies have caused more division in the world than healing.

Duh.

First and foremost, of course, is the self-motivated political division of leftists in the United States.

<!–QuoteBegin>

First and foremost, of course, is the self-motivated political division of leftists in the United States.

That’s a BS statement. First of all, it’s the right-wingers, like Joe, who have managed to divide the country. Liberals, like myself, would like to unite the country.
Quote (Mr Soul @ Sep. 26 2006,19:39)
Liberals, like myself, would like to unite the country.

and I would like to buy the world a Coke

I drink Pepsi thanks.

:D