Stability?

It is just very disappointing is all. I was a huge fan boy when i started with N back in the 2.x days. 3.x days were good too… but then v4 hit and it all went to pot. Just disappointing and sad for me. Again, not the money as I spend way more than I should on music crap.

I’ll shut up now as I always hated fan boys coming HERE and pushing their DAW and I don’t want to be one of them.

Everyone should also keep in mind that many of us have had very few stability issues. There have been some beta builds that have had bugs, but Flavio has done a great job of fixing most of them. If stability was such an overwhelming problem then there wouldn’t be any of us left.

I think it says a lot about Flavio that he lets this thread continue.

EDIT:
Also, considering the different hardware combinations it’s almost irrelevant if n-Tracks is stable on my machine and not stable on anyone else’s. It must be stable on the machine in question. That’s what the demo is for. That’s why the demo is free for anyone to try. While there are some features, such as 24 bits, that are disabled on the demo that probably should be enabled, it still serves a purpose.

So, to answer a question: Yes, n-Tracks is as stable as any other multi-track app I’ve ever used. I have used EchoAudio sound cards (have almost always had good audio drivers) and Soyo motherboards (selected for the specific Intel chipsets that are known good for audio). The few problems I have had were all (except one) narrowed down to video drivers, or to a failing hard drive.

Thank you for your reply phoo:
I had a bunch of Hard Drives fail back in the early days of v4’s… When I got that “Spin-Up” issue resolved I had a virus/trojan issue at the identical time… It just about killed me… I now have 18 hard drives on three machines with two Operating Systems and all seems to be working just fine…

The only issue I have today is… on the P-4 XP 1.7 mhz. machine/desk… V4.2.1 build 2099 launches and looks just fine… When I press the “Play” button, the n-Track Desk closes and all. The machine/desk returns as if nothing is wrong… I’ve seen this on the Studio P-111 800 mhz. machine… but I am unable to remember what I did to fix this… I stand corrected, but I think it had something to do with build 2099’s ability to recognize msvcr70.dll or msvcr71.dll in Window’s System32 Folder… If I have to re-install n-Track 2099 and v5.0.6 on one desk, I consider that ain’t such a big deal… That’s if I want build 2099 on the P-4 XP Desk, anyway…

Stability Issues? For Me? NO… Not in the least…

Bill…

Somehow, if I remember, I think I had to un-install v5 and v4 and re-install v4 and v5 again in that order to fix the issue…

Hi guys,

The mention of that “other” DAW here is probably my fault. I find it works well for me whereas I was having problems with n-Track. Did I ditch n completely? NO… and I am not likely to do so. It’s a tool in my DAW bag of tricks along with many other tools. I have tried to be clear that I am not n bashing. I am paid up through V5. It remains to be seen when V6 comes along whether I upgrade or not. I still have a bunch of stuff in n-Track and I don’t relish moving all of that stuff to another proggie to continue work on it though… Does anyone else have a pile of stuff where they got started on a “big” hit and it fizzled and ended up sitting on the hard drive for years? :D

D

Quote (Diogenes @ Mar. 15 2007,13:13)
Does anyone else have a pile of stuff where they got started on a “big” hit and it fizzled and ended up sitting on the hard drive for years? :D

D

…ha…only a dozen or so… :D

cliff
:cool:

p.s. I have friends who use all sorts of different software…my son uses PT. I guess its not HOW you get somewhere, just that you’re there…

Quote (phoo @ Mar. 15 2007,12:02)
Everyone should also keep in mind that many of us have had very few stability issues.

Version 2.3 used for 6 or 7 years…and no stability issue as of yet.

I have been urged over the years to upgrade by guys here and how much better the newer versions where…

The irony is it seems the same guys who swore up and down that newer was better are now moving on to other software…go figure.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, that’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it.

And Ntrack is my choice for home recording, bought and paid for in 1999 dollars (which would probably be more today) and works for me.

Press record and play your guitar…don’t get more simple than that.

keep shinin’

jerm :)

Re if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it: Yeah, it’s like that for me too altough I came in at V3.0.0. Note that the guys you mention use a bunch of MIDI & VSTis, etc etc.

I did upgrade from V3 to V4, though, when my former DAW broke down. Even when using wave files exclusively, V3 was MUCH sleeker than V4 in my experience. When I opened up V3 projects in V4, they were unplayable in the new, twice as powerful 'puter.
I haven’t looked into V5 yet. Guess why…

<!–QuoteBegin>

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, that’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it.

Sure, thats what the rest of the monkeys said half a million years ago, the ones who are still sitting in the trees scratching their asses with bananas. :laugh:

Come on over to the REAPER Forum guys and bring your bananas with you. We sure will try to talk slow and easy so you don’t git confused. :laugh:
Quote (Guest @ Mar. 16 2007,19:17)
If it ain't broke don't fix it, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Sure, thats what the rest of the monkeys said half a million years ago, the ones who are still sitting in the trees scratching their asses with bananas. :laugh:

Come on over to the REAPER Forum guys and bring your bananas with you. We sure will try to talk slow and easy so you don't git confused. :laugh:
Better software ain't gonna do anything for that crap your calling music bro!

keep tryin' though someday maybe they will invent a software that will.

jerm :cool:
If it ain't broke don't fix it, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Come on over to the REAPER Forum guys and bring your bananas with you. We sure will try to talk slow and easy so you don't git confused. :laugh:
:( :( :(

D

Don't do it...

Quote (harphunt @ Mar. 17 2007,07:16)

Come on over to the REAPER Forum guys and bring your bananas with you. We sure will try to talk slow and easy so you don’t git confused. :laugh:

Whats up with that?

Cliff, if it’s who I think it is, pay him no mind. Just a young impertinent chap with bad manners…

BTW, JBM, IF it IS you… you’ll notice that I post here and at the Reaper forum under my same “handle”. Come on man, childish crap like the monkeys and bananas comments are totally unnecessary and unwarranted. n-Track is a swell piece of software. I have just found Reaper works better for me most of the time. I don’t belittle n-Track or any of the fine people on the board here either. Show some class bud.

D

JBM…as in Joe B Mont…from Kansas? Yes, it figures, I suppose.

[/quote]

thats what happens when ya open the door even a little to that junk,what started as a"this is what i usenow"post has now morphed into"your a bozo cause you use what you use".....whats a stain like that doin lurkin around here anyways if the other is soooo much better? when i see your recording in the charts then maybe you'll get some respect,untill then go choke yourself

Quote (wozz @ Mar. 17 2007,11:11)

thats what happens when ya open the door even a little to that junk,what started as a"this is what i usenow"post has now morphed into"your a bozo cause you use what you use"…whats a stain like that doin lurkin around here anyways if the other is soooo much better? when i see your recording in the charts then maybe you’ll get some respect,untill then go choke yourself

I think his song did hit the charts, it’s pretty popular at the gay clubs from what the columnist write about it.

Last I checked it went aluminum.

keep shinin

jerm :)

Been working with n-Track for a short while. It works great, had no crashes, only a few studders. n-Track can be “tweaked more” and provides documentation of settings for each track.

Been trying Reaper for a few days. It works great too. However it has had some hiccups also, mostly with vst. Plus there is no dedicated track eq. Seems to have amazing routing capabilities…do I really need that though?

From what I can tell n-Track has advantages in certain areas and Reaper other areas.

I agree completely with “another tool for the toolbox”. Don’t know about you but I like a selection of wrenches and srewdrivers, plus a hammer or two.

Come on guys, monkeys and bannanas comments don’t even warrant a reply.

In the interests of scientific enquiry, I have today tried scratching my arse with a banana…

And so far the results have been very disappointing. :(

Non-human primates who are tool users generally use tools that are very efficient - albeit simple - for the intended purpose. So I find it difficult to believe that any ‘monkey’ would indulge in such an activity (especially whilst sitting 60 feet up in a tree).

Therefore it seems the whole idea is nonsensical. :)

(PS. To broaden the scope of the experiment, I asked the pretty wee nurse who comes in daily to wipe the drool off my face to try the effectiveness of bananas re butt scratching. Unfortunately, she thereupon disappeared into the bathroom, and I haven’t heard a thing from her for the past hour! :()

ADDENDUM:

To ensure my experiment was unbiased and balanced, I figured out that a “Reaper” is one who reaps. And the tool he uses is usually a scythe or a sickle.

I couldn’t get hold of a scythe to try scratching my arse with it, but I did manage to get hold of a sickle! :)

Just don’t ask. :(