Stage mics

SM58 alternatives??

I’m trying to put together a very small PA with a budget of zilch/nada/zip. I have already have an sm58 that I rather like (and a few other budget mics that I’d rather not use) but I need at least two more mics. My “budget” can’t stretch to two more '58s at the moment, so I’m on the look out for any cheaper equivalents that are out there that may do an equal/better job.

Any comments?

Input, as ever, much appreciated.

Xon

[URL=http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product…Webpagehttp://www.musiciansfriend.com/product…=271142

thats 2 links xon,akg and nady

Well, these are off brand admittidly, but many have commented that they are quite usable and much better than many of the other cheap alternatives. I have never used them myself, so YMMV.

Speaker Repair

Personally I think that particular nady isn’t worth a dollar.

I wasn’t going to say it… but yeah… Nady stage mics are the lowest of the low. They simply are flimsy. A lot of guys get that package just for the stand and cable.

Thanks guys. Yeah I don’t want crap, I want the secret, really good sounding, cheap mics… ha ha.

Those ES-58 mics look interesting. I’ve dropped them an email to see if they ship to the UK.

Xon

i say old chap - hardly British dealing in dollars, what! -

1111 microphones for you to choose from -

http://www.dv247.com/icat/Microphones/2924/

D£ J

I do not know if they sell in UK, but ElectroVoice makes a line of budget microphones called Cobalt that are really excellent for between $50(US) and 80. I recently picked up their SM57 clone for $60 to use as a drum overhead, and am very impressed with the build and sound quality.

Good luck!
tony w

I was just going to suggest EV. I used to use them for stage since I could get them at about half what a Shure would cost that sounded about the same when used through a PA. I was using the EV N/D series, mostly N/D257 for vocals, which were close to the bottom of the N/D line at the time. They also held up as good if not better to abuse. The Cobalt line wasn’t around back then, so maybe they are a good alternative these days.

Audix makes some nice approx hundred dollar vocal mics. I think the Friend has the F15 on sale for 69 bucks. STEAL!

D

EDIT: Well crap… the web site says $109…

I was just thinking Audix - I got an OM 5 for 50 usa dollars at a local pawn shop. And it is one of my best mics.

The f15 is a condensor for cymbals and such, isn’t it? It’s still 70 usa dollars here and there, I think.

Right Tom. Thanks. BTW, the ones I seen were at American Musical Supply not the Fiend…

D

Thanks guys…

This is exactly what I’m looking for - a “real world” view of some mics because I’m more than capable of looking up cheap mics at my local supplier :slight_smile: What I need to know is if they are any good when you get them out there…

Quote (wynot @ Mar. 28 2007,13:08)
I do not know if they sell in UK, but ElectroVoice makes a line of budget microphones called Cobalt that are really excellent for between $50(US) and 80. I recently picked up their SM57 clone for $60 to use as a drum overhead, and am very impressed with the build and sound quality.

Good luck!
tony w

Yes, I've had a look and they do seem to be available. Thanks

You’re welcome! Like phoo, I am a long-time lover of EV equipment; I use their speakers in my guitar cabinet and my band’s PA, and my best dynamic mic is an N/D757. You just cannot go wrong with anything that says Electro-Voice on the label! IMHO, of course…

'til next time;
Tony

Yeah, I forgot about EV. They do make good stuff. Most of my stage mics are Audix and the OM5 can’t be beat really in the price range. I have a Neumann KSM105 and really, the OM5 sounds dern close to it… like barely distinguishable at times. Though it will be a rare event when you find an OM5 at $50. That was some good luck there. For instrumetn micing… I have several Audix i5s and SM57s… they are pretty close. I find the i5 to have more high end and the 57s a bit more mid range for whatever that is worth.

There seemed to be a big difference between the i5 and the om5 when I checked them out at the local guitar satan, and the om5 was much better to my ears. Not that my ears are worth much, of course.

Gotta second Tom’s opinion on this - I own a couple of AUDIX Mics (including the OM3 - or is it 5?) and I’ve been nothing but pleased.

OM5 and i5 are totally different animals. The OM5 is all about on stage vocals… low proximity effect and a tight pattern to keep feed back under control. The i5 is an SM57 equivalent… cardioid, proximity effect, all that stuff.