Stanley Cup Day

Tomorrow…

Hi n-Trackers:
Well, tomorrow is the Big Day, In my Neighbourhood… The Stanley Cup is coming to Cole Harbour via. Joe DePinta of the Anaheim Ducks… I am going to do my best and get some photos of the event… This will be a Big Day for all the Hockey Kids and their Families… including me…

But… It so happens that I have a trucking run to do down to the south-western end of the Province… I’ll be running with the peddle down so I can get back for early afternoon… I hope it will still be available for me to get some photos… I’ll be closer to Maine than I’ll be to Cole Harbour…

If it ain’t one thing it’s another…

What’s the chances of the Stanley Cup coming to any-one’s Hometown?

On another note…

I’ve heard through the Grape-Vine that Sydney Crosby is in town… The story has it that he has bought property out in the “Well-to-Do” area of the Sticks and has a lake front property where the big Mansion is gonna be opened… That’s good… He’s spending his money at Home… So-to-Speak… Good for him…

What’s a kid to-do with all his Money… Anyway??

That’s not the BIG STORY…

It turns out that the invitations have gone out to include the Who’s-Who… in his world… for the Big Home Opening…

A truck load of wine is on it’s way Down-the-Road to treat his guests… and the caterers are going full tilt for all the invited guests and all…

Now… There would be a place to get some interesting People Photos…

Bill…

Have fun Bill and be safe.

The only way the Stanley Cup would get any coverage around here would be if it was being carried by the ghost of Bear Bryant and it was filled with a never ending supply of Jack Daniels.

D

A shot of “Jackie Boy” would go down pretty good about now…

What’s that “Tiqulia” shine? Can you really watch the sun come up after a night of that stuff? There’s lots of songs that talk about that stuff…

They say that this Sydney Crosby Mansion is nothing but the finest…

Bill…

Well, try to get on the musicians list, Bill. :D

This is a Harbour Town… Everything is a half hour from one place to the next… Maybe one day I’ll jump in the car and take my camera with me… We’ll see if we can get some photos of the Shack… There’s a chain of lakes that cuts across the province from Halifax Harbour to the Bay of Fundy… It was once used as a shipping water-way… in the early to mid 1800’s… Do a Google on the Shubie Canal… Anyway this is prime real estate property, now… I think his property in on Grand Lake… one of the waterway lakes… This is the official Page… http://shubie.chebucto.org/ but there are several sites that offer History of the canal and waterway… This is fascinating history… for those who like to go back in time…

[EDIT… Two]
I remember turning the sod for Fletcher Lock… one of the locks in the waterway…

Bill…

[EDIT]
Oh yea… his crowd is a generation or more younger than I am… I might not recognize the stuff he loads on his iPod… :O :p :laugh: or… the other way around…

Kids… Today…

Well… I got some 71 photos of the event as it unfolded here today… The turnout for Joe DiPinta and the Stanley Cup was fantastic… What a PR Day it was for the NHL and the Hometown Hero… I got within a few feet of Joe with the Stanley Cup before he entered Cole Harbour Place, with the Stanley Cup… I didn’t follow the crowd into the Arena… Sorry… Just too many people… I’ll post some photos after I edit-and-compress them to some decent file size…

We are recovering from an awful Big Blow that came upon us over-night… 70-100mph sustained winds-and-gusts… It’s a good thing it was an off-shore storm… If it would have come ashore we would have had to do a major clean-up… I think it was the storm that hit New York the other day…

Anyway, I’ll pick some photos outta the bunch and compress them to a smaller file size and put them up…

What a great day for Joe and the Stanley Cup, here in Cole Harbour…

Bill…

Alright:
I got them edited and and ready to link to them…

The Stanley Cup Group arrived … maybe the night before (Wednesday) Who knows? Anyway, They started the day at the IWK Hospital for Children… where many kids get world class Health Care… from Organ Transplants to Life Threatening Illness Treatment… That happens all over the world… Many of these kids never get outta the hospital… From there the group went to one of the shopping malls…

This photo shows the parade getting organized to make the trip to the sports arena…

This is the Caldwell Elementary School… where Joe did his grades 1 - 6 … Just around the corner from Home…

This is the neighbourhood where he grew up… A typical home on the street… I’m not sure of the house number… By the way, his parents were there… However, I wouldn’t have recognized them… They were interviewed on the evening news casts… The parade route traveled through the street and back out on the strip…

Anyway, the parade is on…

It winds through the business core and over to the arena… a distance of maybe, 5-7 kilometers-or-so… The wife is in that photo of him and the Stanley Cup…

I not partial to the shade of that Rag-Top… He should have been riding in this one… :O :;): :laugh:

However… They didn’t consult with me on that matter…

The Media was out in force… This guy could very well have been an NHL Video Man… Who knows?

It’s gettin to the end of the line… Almost in the Barn…

Joie DiPinta and The Stanley Cup… I think someone told him to get it over his shoulders…

It wasn’t in my plans to go into the arena… The place was jammed… No room to navigate… in there…

This is the High School he would have went to…

I had a few more photos to chronicle on this post… Maybe, I’ll do it on another thread…

Bill…

“Oops, I dropped it!” :D

Hi TomS:
I wonder if the Cup Group would charge for any handling damages while it’s out doing it’s duty?

There’s no real significance to this photo except that if you look at the horizon of this photo you’ll see the Atlantic Ocean… You’ll get some perspective as to where we are in relation to wide-open-water…

As well, to the left of the clock tower, you’ll see Cole Harbour… It’s below sea level… It’s really a Salt Marsh protected by a Sandy beach that was created by a dyke (the Cole Harbour Dyke) to keep erosion in check…

Also, you’ll see the rear of that charter bus… It’s the one that the Stanley Cup Group used to transport the group…

If you look real hard in that direction you should almost see the western coast of France… :p :O I think it’s behind that bent pole…

I thought you’d get a kick outta this one… TomS…

That’s the Cole Harbour Bel Ayr Minor Hockey Banner/Logo…

On the deck of that trailer that the pick-up truck is hauling is a guy on a motorized wheelchair… I don’t know his name but Joe owes all his hockey knowledge to him as he was the minor hockey coach…

It seems to me that there was always, and still is, an issue presented to the association by the parents as to why this guy can continue to coach Minor Hockey… It appears that today Joe and Everybody is giving him his due recognition and All… The evening TV news got the story told… Good for them…

If you look across that Football/Soccer Field you’ll see the complex… All the minor hockey parents wanted was a barn to house two sheets of ice… This goes way back into the '70’s… when the idea surfaced… to enlarge the barn… But… what they got was several swimming pools a fitness and athletic area with racket-ball courts a library and and I don’t know what-all… It continues to enlarge, to this day… The taxpayers are outraged… Well, some of them are… :O ???

In fact I was talking to one of the die-hard parents… They are saying that a sheet of practice-time ice costs them more than $200.00 for the hour… It goes up every hockey season…

There… that’s enough of that… Bring on the NHL Season…

Bill…

Ha! Where’d they get that logo anyway! :D

Next time a job opens up for a philosopher up in Cole Harbour, I’m applying.

Hi TomS:
We were sittin at Tim’s this morning discussing how yesterday went for the kids and Minor Hockey and Parents and all, in the community and pondering it’s future, and well just chin-wagging… and it came up about the Wheel-chair Coach… and What’s-His-Name (cause I don’t know his name) spoke up and said I was on that trailer with him… I said no you weren’t… I got the photos… as the pick-up truck with the trailer and wheel-chair was about to turn the corner… He said I was there, and on the trailer and the reason he was on the trailer is because he was one of Joe’s Coaches… As it turns out all Joe’s Coaches was on the float… So, there, he says… He is a retired out of the Military turned “Minor Hockey Coach”… He doesn’t coach now… He just follows a golf balls around the links… Yea never know just who you run into at Tim’s… in the mornings… Now, I gotta go and look at that photo to see if I can recognize him…

I see him… He’s the guy leaning over the cab of the truck, with the plaid shirt on… Well, I’ll be… We all go to Tim’s and talk about all the daily “Goings-On”… and all… You know…

Anyway, they all ended up in Halifax last evening/night at a Big TO-DO /Dinner where anybody who was anyone went to trade stories, and all… As-It-Went… some politicians were looking for some free visibility and what-not… When it was found out who all was there… there were politely given the “Bum’s Rush”… so I heard… That’s second-hand information… Well…

It was common knowledge that Sydney stayed away from the Cole Harbour/Stanley Cup DO… It’s been said that appearing at these DO’s by other players is a NO-NO and… BAD LUCK… so-they-say…

The P/R Returns are Priceless for a community like we have here… What a Day-It-Was… TomS…

After what went on here yesterday, I have a whole different opinion of the NHL and Players, and anything to do with professional sports…

Yesterday, a Display was put in place by the DiPinta Organization at the Arena… I guess I’ll have to go over there and get some photos of that… There are a few other displays over there… Cam Russell, Sydney Crosby, and I think another one… However, I have not paid enough attention to those things…

Bill…

Dipinta has an “organization” ? ???

Hi TomS:
Sorry… For short of a better term I called the group that came together to organize the Stanley Cup Day and the group that presented the Cup to the community for the day, DiPinta’s Organization… Who know how all that came together… All I know is, the community welcomed the Stanley Cup with all the respect that the Stanley Cup could ever ask for…

My feeling is that there was and no one looked for any political involvement with how the day progressed… The closest relation to the Government was when the Group took the Cup to the IWK Hospital for Children…

Bill…