Stanley Cup Update

Coming home August 9th

It was reported on the local news this evening that the Stanley Cup will be in Cole Harbour on August 9th…

This will be quite the day for the local area Hockey Fans… and the first time for the Cup’s appearence in this community…

I hope I will be home and be able to take my camera and get some idea of how the Hockey Fans take to the Stanley Cup in their home town…

Bill…

Hey Bill, hope it goes better than when the cup came thru Raleigh NC, I’ve seen better turn out at irrital bowel syndrome meetings!
But then, hockey ain’t that big here in the south.

Hi YazMiester:
The Stanley Cup is coming to Cole Harbour by-way-of a player who played with the Ducks this season… DePinta? Is that how his name is spelt?.. I hope Sydney is here as well… As the Crosby household is still in business I believe here in the Harbour… Maybe, Sydney will make an appearance as well…

With the kind of weather we have, Hockey is alive-and-well around here… But we don’t have enough ice surfaces/rinks/barns… Hopefully, this might encourage the Powers-that-Be to realize that we need more ice here, for the kids…

It helps to keep them from getting into trouble with the Law…

Raleigh NC… should be a pretty good Hockey Town… I think you are right on the frost belt… or is that somewhat north of you?

Bill…

The day Raliegh becomes a good hockey town is the day I eat my skates. :D

Post some pics for us, Bill!

Bill, yes we are right on the ice belt, little or no snow, ice storms, yuck!

Tom you are safe from eating your skates! This will never be a hockey state. :(

We have a pretty good hockey following here in Nawth Alabammy… The University of Alabama Huntsville use to have a top notch program in their division. We also have a semi-pro team over there. Haven’t had time to go to a game in forever… but there’s usually a pretty good turn out and lots of fun to be had.

It’ll never replace stupid football around here though. There are people here who think Bear Bryant is sitting at the right hand of God calling plays for Him… Ugh…

D

I still don’t get it with ice hockey. ???

Why doesn’t the umpire keep the little disc thing in his pocket, then all the players can beat the crap out of each other till there’s only one left standing, then the umpire can give the little disc thing to him, and he can take it home and put it with the rest of the trophies of his hunts. :)

The audience meanwhile - lacking a material trophy testifying to the size of their penis - can still concentrate on screaming, weeping, buying bigger and brighter t-shirts, male bonding, male bondage, female bondage, duck bondage…(sorry, got carried away :( )and all those other fun things. :D

S’ok, I don’t get foot ball…uh, I mean “soccer.” There are easier ways to take a nap. :)

<!–QuoteBegin>

S’ok, I don’t get foot ball…uh, I mean “soccer.” There are easier ways to take a nap.

All elements of the same subset Tom.

The only decent competitive sport is cricket.

In the words of Gerald Hoffnung (more or less)…

“On a lovely summer’s day, you erect your deck chair and parasol and pour a glass of cold foaming beer.
Then, shortly after, you close your eyes and drift into a long relaxing nap. Eventually you awaken, politely clap your hands and call out; ‘Well played sir!’, and then go home for dinner”.

Now, that is what spectator sport is all about! :D

Hi Gents:
I was introduced to the Game of Soccer with the Scottish style of play… But yet, try to convince the residents of Flavio’s country that there is a better style of play then their’s… Last night the Brazilians lost to the Americans in Ottawa… Now, try to tell the Brazil Fans that should have happened. I didn’t see the whole game but I did see the winning goal being scored… As a result of that game score the Brazil Team may not even get into the next round of play…

The Canadian Team played awful… even worse than than that… The soccer fans out here on the coast though better of the team that was assembled, but if that’s as good as they can assemble a twenty-year-old bunch of kids, we had better start looking at our soccer program…

Isn’t it funny that there was no representation of kids from out here in the Maritimes on that team?.. I’m getting to think that we might have an Italian or Greek Community out here that could have put together a Bench full of Kids that would blow the socks off that Cannuck Team… I know the Capers out on the Island could play circles around them… Well…

Anyway, The Canadian Team has one more game to play in the tournament… We play the Congo on Tuesday… Maybe, we’ll play football instead of some other game that I don’t know what they played…

They lost to the Chili Bench and the Austrian Bench… The team from Chili plays a nice style of Game if they stay away from faking injuries…

Bill…

[EDIT]
I like Spam’s idea of an afternoon of enjoying Sports… :O :laugh:

[EDIT]

Anyway, The Canadian Team has one more game to play in the tournament… We play the Congo on Tuesday… Maybe, we’ll play football instead of some other game that I don’t know what they played…

I know IT wasn’t Soccer that they Played…

(spambot @ Jul. 07 2007,01:14)
All elements of the same subset Tom.

The only decent competitive sport is cricket.

In the words of Gerald Hoffnung (more or less)...........

"On a lovely summer's day, you erect your deck chair and parasol and pour a glass of cold foaming beer.
Then, shortly after, you close your eyes and drift into a long relaxing nap. Eventually you awaken, politely clap your hands and call out; 'Well played sir!', and then go home for dinner".

Now, that is what spectator sport is all about! :D

:D

It's the summer equivalent of that great Scots-Canadian game, curling, then.

Nah, what with global warming and all, curling outdoors is now very rare, and watching it in a skating rink is not the same thing at all.

But talking of football, I have experienced the American version.

My initial impressions were not good; it was obvious that the mighty dollar played a big part, and being body searched before I entered the stadium pleased me not at all; especially when I discovered that the search was not for weapons or bombs, but to ensure I didn’t smuggle any alcohol in.

Not that it was a dry stadium, on the contrary, beer could be had at outrageous prices. As I said, the mighty dollar.

Anyway, I took my seat, and these ant sized things on the field below started moving around occasionally; not very often, and to no apparent purpose, but many people seemed to think it worth screaming about.

Then I wandered off to find somewhere I could have a cigarette, and found the real sport! :D

It was an outdoor patio - the only place smoking was allowed - and it was full of hundreds of people enjoying themselves…drinking beer, singing, talking, all in all , just having fun.

We couldn’t see the game from there, which for me was a big plus, but neither did it seem to bother the fans.

There was a hard core who spent the whole game there, but many others came and went, so it was a familiar, but changing social environment.

I loved it. There can be few experiences better than standing with a beer in one hand, a cigarette in the other, and surrounded by full breasted American women saying; “Gee, I love your accent, you sound just like Sean Connery, say something else.”

I wasn’t even bothered by the occasional; “So, do you know Crocodile Dundee? I think he’s from Australia too!” :laugh:

Ok, you’d have to drag me kicking and screaming to attend another game, but that one experience was well worth it. :)

Bot you would love attending a Single A Baseball game. Rookie players hoping to make into ML Baseball. No one watches the game, everyone gets drunk, smokes all they want, (this is a tobacco town), does the stupid take me out to the ballgame song during the 7th inning stretch, then mass hysteria as drunk drivers try to get out of the parking lot at the same time!

Beer is only $12 for a small cup. 8oz I think. Admission is normally free, they get you on the beer and hot dogs.

The Great American past time, not baseball, just getting drunk!

Reminds of Nascar also! Who won the race…I have no clue, I was passed out during the rain delay!

Hi Gents:
A NasCar Event is something to take in… Cars are Big in the Southeast… and up the East Coast into New Hampshire and Maine… We got the Car Bug over here… I don’t go out to the tracks very often, sorry… But there is a Car building Family just down the street from me… They take it Big Time Serious… It’s a very expensive sport/passtime to take up… All the parts seem to be imported from the South-east… I think it’s called short-track… and to qualify in the different levels you have to meet all the regulations… Not easy… and there’s lots of competition at each level… As well, the season is very short up here… 3-4 months, and it’s all over…

I posted the Canada Congo Game as being on Tuesday… I was wrong… The CBC will carry two games tomorrow… The early game… in the mid afternoon… and the late game being Canada/Congo… with an early evening start… I’d like to see the Canadian Team make a showing, but I’m not gonna hold my breath… I’d be surprised if they won… If I see them chasing the ball to gain possession, it’s all over for them… The Congo style of game is to get the other side to chase the ball…

We’ll see…

A Major League Baseball is quite an event. A lot of fans up here are Red Socks Fans… And they go over to Boston to take-in Home Games. If you’re a Jay’s Fan they jump a plane and go off to Toronto… Baseball ain’t cheep, around here…

Bill…

spam, your assessment of American pro football mighty perspicacious. Mighty perspecacious.

However…there is a world of difference between pro and college football. It’s like the difference between, oh, I dunno, Budweiser and beer.

I want to have a cool accent. :(

<!–QuoteBegin>

I want to have a cool accent.

I thought I HAD a cool accent until I realized it was a dumb hic southern US accent! Well I can at least sound intelligent sometimes

Hey maw! Pass me that thar jug wood ja?

D

PS No offense intended to any of my fellow southern red-necks.

PPS Do I even qualify as a red-neck? I mean…

A. I don’t give two squirts about NASCAR.
B. Football is just a game to make the rich richer so phooey on that.
C. I don’t drink beer. (Anything that smells that BAD has GOT to taste like mule dung…
D. My wife has all her teeth.

Crap! I’m not a red-neck after all!

I say old man… would you have any Grey Poupon?

Passing the Poupon (with pinky finger extended) to Diogenes.
“I say, Would you care for a spot of Tea”