StarPlugs is Offering

Thanks

followed your link and apparently I need another speaker (it says you need 5 and a sub and I only have 4 and a sub)

My other problem I have been stating from the start is I don’t know how to implement it on my system, since I don’t have soundcard in the PC like most people do and am using the ONYX as a firewire soundcard.

I’m sure if I had a normal soundcard it would be as simple as plug in this decoder and the speakers follow this tutorial and be off to the races…

As far as I know the ONYX only receives one stereo signal from the computer for monitoring…there is probably something about this I am over complicating in my mind, I am going to read through this info Bubba (which is much appreciated) and ask some questions over at Mackie to see if anyone has done it.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

You would send the stereo stream from the Onyx out to the decoder. The decoder pulls the 5.1 info from the 2 channel mix and routes it accordingly.

Additionally, for this to be of benefit, the person playing the mix has to have a 5.1 setup as well… so a movie theater, home surround setup, etc. Otherwise you are playing a 3D movie for folks with no 3D glasses so to speak.

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Nov. 12 2010, 12:00 PM)

sorry I asked, obviously none of you care enough to explain how I could listen to this on my current set up and make mixes that will benefit from it.

Well Jerm, I did have a big reply typed up. Honest... but then I thought; "There's no way he can do this with "my current set up" as you put it. I didn't want to spend a half day explaining why not, so I let it go.

I do care... just not THAT much. :laugh:

UJ
Quote: (Bubbagump @ Nov. 12 2010, 12:14 PM)

You would send the stereo stream from the Onyx out to the decoder. The decoder pulls the 5.1 info from the 2 channel mix and routes it accordingly.

Additionally, for this to be of benefit, the person playing the mix has to have a 5.1 setup as well... so a movie theater, home surround setup, etc. Otherwise you are playing a 3D movie for folks with no 3D glasses so to speak.

OK, bubba

give me a chance to read up on this, so I can respond.

'cause when you say "send something from the ONYX out to the encoder"..I'm not real sure if that is a hardware device or software and if it is software how I could even plug into it....and how that is going to make it's way out to 5 different speakers...

So rather than waist you are anyone else time I will attempt to self educate and at least familiarize myself with the process and terms so I can hold a beneficial Q&A.

keep shinin

Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Nov. 12 2010, 12:15 PM)

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Nov. 12 2010, 12:00 PM)

sorry I asked, obviously none of you care enough to explain how I could listen to this on my current set up and make mixes that will benefit from it.

Well Jerm, I did have a big reply typed up. Honest... but then I thought; "There's no way he can do this with "my current set up" as you put it. I didn't want to spend a half day explaining why not, so I let it go.

I do care... just not THAT much. :laugh:

UJ

I'm sure it will become more clear as I read up on it lev,

So far I know I need another speaker. :)

keep shinin

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Nov. 12 2010, 12:14 PM)

Additionally, for this to be of benefit, the person playing the mix has to have a 5.1 setup as well... so a movie theater, home surround setup, etc. Otherwise you are playing a 3D movie for folks with no 3D glasses so to speak.

That's a biggie! I've been to maybe TWO homes where they had the surround setup where the components were connected and positioned properly. I've been in PILES of homes too. Tar-paper shacks to million dollar plus spreads... just about all of 'em setup WRONG.

Don't care two shits about surround sound. Gimme a nice stereo image so I can close my eyes and visualize the band on the stage. Screw that other crap.

UJ
Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Nov. 12 2010, 12:22 PM)

So far I know I need another speaker. :)

And an interface with at least SIX separate outputs OR a surround decoder rig like Bubbashrimp mentioned eh?

UJ

Hi Unblown_Jonson:

You’re pretty close in your observations…

However, I can remember way back in the late’60’s and early '70’s when the AES and Stereo promoters where attempting to flog what was known back then as, Quadrophonic Stereo …
I think it was called that back then…
It was almost the forerunner of what I’d call 5.1 …
now…
Well…
4.1…
I don’t think it ever took hold…

Before that I remember hearing Hi-Fi Stereo…
and the fore runner to that was Hi-Fi Mono…
I remember listening to 78 rpm. pressed clay records…
The needle in the Tone Arm was a hunk of cold-rolled steel…

Sorry, I don’t remember much before that…
:p
:laugh:

Bill…

Quote: (woxnerw @ Nov. 12 2010, 12:35 PM)

However, I can remember way back in the late'60's and early '70's when the AES and Stereo promoters where attempting to flog what was known back then as, Quadrophonic Stereo ..
I think it was called that back then..
It was almost the forerunner of what I'd call 5.1 ..
now..
Well..
I don't think it ever took hold..

About the only thing ever mixed for that format was Alan Parson's 4 channel remix of Dark Side of the Moon and I think the Flaming Lips did a 4 channel of one of their records maybe 6-8 years back. Certainly not 4.1 as there was no sub in the Quadraphonic spec.

Last time I checked it was 20.10 going on 20.11

I never knew the correct term, as it was called… I believe that it was Sony, and their record distribution network did their best to promote the technology…

Bill…

OK I read up a bit…

apparently the “DTS decoder” is a hardware device, which I do not have, but that are not too expensive.
I have a Kenmore 300 watt stereo receiver that has surround on it so I may be able to utilize that hardware for monitoring…(although that is amplified and my speakers are all powered so I would have to figure something out there)

My sis might just have to get by with a descent stereo mix for now…this is too big of a project to undertake with my current obligations and I thought it was all computer based when I clicked on it in Ntrack…silly me

Thank anyway guys I have a good start on this when time permits, I did just think of something tho…since my neighbor who is a good friend of mine already has 5.1 on his computer and all the speakers set up maybe I will just go over there and do some mixes on his puter for the sis…I’d still like to know more about the NTrack function tho and how to implement it on his system…

keep shinin

Kenmore eh? Does dishes too?

Now I think about it… my microwave has an S/PDIF input. Maybe IT has a DTS decoder too!!

UJ

Hey Sweet-cakes?? Can I borrow the washing machine? I need a sub-woofer! Hmmm… doesn’t sound ‘warm’ enough… CAN I BORROW THE DRYER TOO??? :laugh:

UJ

Oh…Kenwood. DOPE!

keep shinin

I’m sure he meant Kenwood… However, it don’t matter what name is on the front panel…

Kenmore has a nerves plug output… Plugs right into the back of the neck and into the top of the spinal cord… Makes your left toenail curl up when yea hit the botton-end on Radium Water… :) :p :laugh:

Bill…

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Nov. 12 2010, 2:25 PM)

Oh...Kenwood. DOPE!

keep shinin

Heh-heh...

Good for a laugh anyway... :laugh:

UJ

I ken more 'n ye, s’truth. Radium water did it.

Quote: (TomS @ Nov. 12 2010, 8:55 PM)

I ken more 'n ye, s'truth.
Radium water did it.

I think this 7 dollar Merlot I'm sippin' may BE Radium water... yech! Shoulda known better... :laugh:

UJ