Studio Project

Perhaps with all of that stone in there you should just use the whole thing for your echo chamber. :)

Craig! Check cattle matting for the floor and I believe a seriously thick ‘bonding-coat’ works wonders.

IT, awesome post thanks. Much to consider!

After I clear the room out my thoughts were to damp proof the area with DP membrane. Then insulate the floor with Kingspan/Cellotex sheets and chipboard over.

Then the walls…stud walls independant of the brick/membrane with acoustic plasterboards and a skim.
The room is away from the other rooms apart from above so I wasn’t going to soundproof the walls just the ceiling.
I’ll make the walls ‘out of square’ then.

Probably a couple of weeks before I start…

Willy…JC eh? He used to live just up the road from here, literally 500 yards. I know I know…I’ve said that before. Small world tho eh?

Tony, there is a new reg on newbuilds that states a bonding coat of special material must be applied before dry lining the walls for sound…there must be some truth in it then…

Quote: (spreadercraig @ May 18 2011, 12:29 AM)

After I clear the room out my thoughts were to damp proof the area with DP membrane. Then insulate the floor with Kingspan/Cellotex sheets and chipboard over.

Judging from the photos, the environment is damp. Just proofing the floor probably wont be enough, and maybe not the first thing to do, either.

Make sure rainwater flows _away_ from the walls of the house unrestricted. Also, if possible and the construction doesn't offer any surprises that get in the way, get rid of the flower bed
(?) that is up against the wall. Also, the upper part of the foundations should generally be visible all around, not covered in the ground. Dampness is easier to manage if floor level is somewhat above ground level. Again generally speaking.

A more serious approach would involve underground drainage and complete reconstruction of the base floor. New drainage, however, might lower the ground water level locally. Sometimes, that can damage old foundations. And dealing with the surface water and "landscaping" might be enough.

And don't forget the rainwater from off the roofs. That needs to be dealt with, too.

....around here, changing the use of a exciting building requires a permit. The building code is something you might want to consider beforehand, especially if you are going to use the studio professionally.

I:-T
Quote: (Iwont Tell @ May 18 2011, 6:14 PM)

And don't forget the rainwater from off the roofs. That needs to be dealt with, too.

Proper rainwater plumbing and a gutter leading away from the building is minimum. Even better if the gutter ends in a ditch or something like that. This sounds obvious, but is often neglected.

I:-T

Hi IT and thanks for that.

The main issue is indeed guttering and a leaky roof from upstairs. First job on the agenda…
The floor has its own drainage, so my thoughts were to use a pro tanking plastic sheeting system that waterproofs the floor and also allows water…if any…to drain away.

Both the walls and the floor are to be treated this way.

No permissions needed here!
I’m not going too far with this. I just want a great home studio at a very budget price…

Progress…
Ok I changed the window for a door:
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x155/spreadercraig/Outsidedoor.jpg

Also, sorted out the internal damp by a tanking system coupled with floor insulation and boarding:
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x155/spreadercraig/Cornertanked.jpg

Roof repaired, guttering yet to do but at least there is no water penetration anywhere.
Knocked through into the ‘vocal booth’ and put in a window, and started studwork:
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums…tud.jpg

All going well up to now.
I’m planning the walls so that no two angles are the same. Acoustic insulation is next and then ‘soundblock’ plasterboards.
I might use ‘resilient bars’ to hang the boards on the ceiling for further soundproofing.

Good thing your still kinda young spreader.
Old farts like me don’t have time for construction, …don’t mess up your fingers

Hi Levi. How’re diddlin’?

Craig!!! If you get yours finished before me, I’m gonna twist your nip’s :laugh:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16937954@N06/sets/72157622365276523/

Quote: (Levi @ Jun. 05 2011, 6:13 PM)

Good thing your still kinda young spreader.
Old farts like me don't have time for construction, ...don't mess up your fingers

that's good advice. For almost anything.

Hi Tony, i’v been in a hotel in Dallas for 6 days now.
Without my guitar.
I never go
hrs without my guitar.

How’s your project coming along?
U started over a yr ago yeah?

Quote: (Levi @ Jun. 07 2011, 6:43 AM)

Hi Tony, i'v been in a hotel in Dallas for 6 days now.
Without my guitar.
I never go
hrs without my guitar.

How's your project coming along?
U started over a yr ago yeah?

Why 'no' guitar, dude - not bad news, I hope?
:angry: I started drawing the plans 20yrs ago!

Well after some hard work…MUCH hard work…I’m at the decorating stage!
I’ve just concentrated on the main room, the vocal booth will come soon.

What I did so far:
Replaced the window with a uPVC door
Took out all the old stoneware and generally cleared out the room
Knocked a window through to the vocal booth
Completely damp proofed the room with a dpc system
Insulated the floor with kingspan/cellotex and floorboarded over just glued, not fixed
Built independant studwork throughout ie. a timber box within the room all at 400mm intervals to accomodate 2400 x 1200 soundbloc plasterboards.
Insulated the walls with acoustic rockwool
Plasterboarded walls and ceiling with soundbloc boards
Doorframe and door fitted (internal)…I’ll fix soundbloc boards to the door soon and fix an intermiscent strip to the frame
Plastered it
Skirting boards and architrave
Paint!

Acoustic foam is on order…new monitors will have to wait I’m afraid!

I’ll get some pics up if anyone wants when its painted properly.

:agree:

Wow! Nice goin’ dude.
Are you going to resist moving stuff in untill it’s finished or have you already started - swivel chair, combo, guit?

Need to get some carpet in first Tony
:)

Im very eager though…
This coming weekend will see it finished I’m sure

Nice one. Enjoy, Craig.

Sounds like you’ve got the inner shell “mechanically” disconnected from the building and planet earth - all good for silence. Dick you use Rockwool sheeting? Better than dickin’ around with glass wool or beans etc.

Sheets for the floor…wool for the walls and ceiling (cheaper!) :;):

Quote: (spreadercraig @ Jun. 19 2011, 5:50 PM)

Sheets for the floor....wool for the walls and ceiling (cheaper!)
:;):

Aye. It is that.
I love that atmos' in a quietened room.
There's a lot to consider with acoustics - what we call silence, is a planetary explosion measuring billions of db's. Sound travels faster through concrete than it does through air. One violin = 97 db, a whole orchestra = 99db(or there abouts). Bonkers.

Good God, you work fast. :agree:

Studio finished now apart from the vocal booth…

Current set up:
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x155/spreadercraig/setup.jpg

Vocal corner:
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x155/spreadercraig/vocalcorner.jpg

And a cool new addition!!!:
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x155/spreadercraig/addition.jpg

:agree: