studio setup

buying on a budget

Question for you guys n gals…

Imagine you needed to set up a budget studio setup…nothing top of the line, but not especially bargain-basement either (no Behringer, please).

the following will need to be purchased:

1) Mixer (with 8 XLR inputs)
2) Drum Mic set (7 piece, please)
3) Powered Monitors
4) One condenser vocal mic (for hard rock vocals)
5) Headphone amp
6) Compressor

Now, imagine working with a $1,000 budget for all of the above (with an extra $100 if really need be)

What would you recommend? I have some ideas in mind, but I would love to hear your opinions on any or all of the items listed here…

Thanks!

(no Behringer, please)

I couldn’t think of anything else cheaper and that actually is good, but i will try.
mixer with 8 xlr
the cheapest drum mic kit i ever seen
powered monitors pair
sure beta 87
headphone amp
compressor

Its about $1200.00 you could skimp on the sure mic and get a crapier one since its loud vocals

At that price level you should really consider the behringer boards, if you are buying new, IMHO. Other choices include the obvious: Mackie, yamaha. Used there are lots of things you could do.

For a cheap compressor you might look to getting a dbx mc-6 off ebay. 1998 review by Paul White here :

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr98/articles/dbxmc6.html

The average price on Ebay is about 40 bucks.

For vocals, how about an audix OM-5, for 150 bucks? Cheap condensors are not necessary the way to go for hard rock vocals.

You don’t really need 7 mics for a 7 piece kit. Studiofat has found the cheapest, AFAIK, but I think the nady dynamics all sound like cardboard.

For a headphone amp, get an old home stereo from a garage sale for 10 bucks.

You don’t really need 7 mics for a 7 piece kit. Studiofat has found the cheapest, AFAIK, but I think the nady dynamics all sound like cardboard.

yeah they are pretty crappy and id rather have Sm-57’s all around but i have been able to get a decent sound with alot of work

Or you could get a decent pair of overhead mics, use crappy mics on the rest of the kit, and then use drumagog to replace the individual drum tracks with something decent and mix them together with the overhead tracks.
:cool:

thanks guys for the responses…

I am looking at ebay for mixers and that compressor for sure.

Interesting you mention not going with a condenser mic for hard rock vocals…had not thought of that. And speaking of condensers, anyone here a fan of the MXL mics?

Also, considering a $100-$150 difference in price, if you had to choose:

1) Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro
or
2) Yamaha MG 16/4

which one, and why?

Thanks all once again in advance…

Well, I was going to suggest the yamaha desks anyway. More bang for the buck. Alto are pretty good, my berry works well but seems a bit flimsy.

I’d also go with a 4 mic setup for the drums to start off with - you can get away with two if you want (I’ve had very good results with an NT-1 as an overhead and an atm25 on the kick, but normally go with an xy SDcondensor overhead setup, sm57 on snare, atm25 on kick. If it has a lot of floor tom in a song, I’ll stick something on that too). I’d also look at getting mics that can double for other purposes, even if an sm57 on guitar cab doesn’t work for you, you should at least try it! Gazza who pops up on audiominds and sometimes here will tell you his voice sounds best through a 57 rather than his NTK. If you’re going budget, you need to double up and not go specialty too much.

Alto compressors are good, nicely transparent, easy to use. About the same price range as berry.

Powered monitors:
I had to mention it, didn’t I. Mate, these are so cheap in the US as opposed to over here…

Quote (studiofat @ Aug. 01 2005,10:51)
You don't really need 7 mics for a 7 piece kit. Studiofat has found the cheapest, AFAIK, but I think the nady dynamics all sound like cardboard.

yeah they are pretty crappy and id rather have Sm-57's all around but i have been able to get a decent sound with alot of work

Oh, I don't mean to speak really all that badly of them. I actually have 4 nady mics, and actually use one of them. :) I would have killed for something that qualilty at that price 20 years ago, and I have heard very good recordings done with them - just not by me. :)

<!–QuoteBegin>

I’d also go with a 4 mic setup for the drums to start off with - you can get away with two if you want (I’ve had very good results with an NT-1 as an overhead and an atm25 on the kick, but normally go with an xy SDcondensor overhead setup, sm57 on snare, atm25 on kick. If it has a lot of floor tom in a song, I’ll stick something on that too). I’d also look at getting mics that can double for other purposes, even if an sm57 on guitar cab doesn’t work for you, you should at least try it! Gazza who pops up on audiominds and sometimes here will tell you his voice sounds best through a 57 rather than his NTK. If you’re going budget, you need to double up and not go specialty too much.

For Heavy vocals, a 57 can indeed be swell. As for drums, spend more time finding a good sounding room and less on mics. YOu’l be happier in the long run. i am an Audix fan myself. I have been using a D6 on kick and bass cabs and i5s lately and really really like them. The i5 I really like for drums and guitar cabs. Imagine a 57 but clearer… and that doesn’t mean hyped highend… just less crud in the low mids.The D6 is butter on a bass cab or kick. I mean AMAZING bass cab sounds.

ok fellers…

I have N setup on a box with 2 SB Live cards (KX drivers, attached them together using the SPDIF aud_ext jumpers)

Let’s say I buy a Yamaha 16/4. After some reading, I understand how the whole ST and Group 1-2 thing works for splitting your outputs to 4 channels using the pan control. (my current mixer is an old Tascam…has nice push buttons on each channel to decide where to send the signal =)

Here’s what I don’t know…assuming I use the proper adapters, can I go straight from the Balanced “phone-type” output jacks into my 2 Line In’s on my 2 cards? In other words, is the signal correct for this? I would think so, but you never know for sure till you ask :)

Thanks!

For what it’s worth…

I just bought (last night) the following and it cost me $1230 (got a deal at GC)

- Firepod
- HP4 headphone amp
- Shure mic set: (3)57’s (1)BETA 52 and drum mounts
- 10 cables
- 6 boom stands
- (1) additional 57

By recording multiple tracks into N, setting the input trim on the Firepod, and mixing in N, I don’t personally see a need for a mixer.

HTH? ???

<!–QuoteBegin>

By recording multiple tracks into N, setting the input trim on the Firepod, and mixing in N, I don’t personally see a need for a mixer.

Thats exactly right, but a lot of interfaces don’t have preamps either. The other problem is that a lot (most) don’t have pads or some sort of limiter built in to prevent overs. So, anoutboard mixer or preamps can get around that.