Studio update

The orignal post is gone

I know I haven’t posted any pics of the new studio but I just moved in this week & am still getting things arranged. I enjoyed seeing the pics of other studios in the main forum. Currently, I don’t have internet access from the studio but that should be fixed next week. I’m taking off on vacation till 8/11 so it may be after that when I get some pics up.

The indoor/outdoor carpet I picked has worked out very well (to address Ali’s comment). I need to put sound padding on the wall, because the room is “reverby” (as you would expect) but it’s very quiet due to the 6" walls.

Since the studio will also be my band’s practice room, I’m still trying to figure out the “best” arrangement of stuff to accomodate recording & rehearsal.

Also, I was contacted by someone from this forum (Chris) who took “On a Roll” from the nTrack site & re-mixed it for the fun of it. Thanks Chris!

Sheesh… The orginal thread is here. :O

mike, is that another home through the window?.. wondering because if so, are they hearing any leakage from your studio?..

thanks,
isaac

OK Soul-dude… give up the REAL pics. That one is obviously fake. That room is way too neat and clean to useful as a studio… Tell you what I’ll do… for only shipping costs, I’ll let you “borrow” my kids for a couple weeks. They will “fix” it for you.

TG

PS Anybody know how much two one-way tickets to Cali would cost? :p

<!–QuoteBegin>

mike, is that another home through the window?..

Yes. I’m going to make an acoustic insert to put in front of the window. As I mentioned, the walls are 6" thick and are well insulated. Also, there’s 6’ stone wall that was just built on the side where the window is, so that will cut down on sound.

Bubba - I did a search & the thread didn’t show up?

Hey Mike, are those auratones on top?

Ditto about the clean part. I won’t post pictures my place is such a mess…

<!–QuoteBegin>

Hey Mike, are those auratones on top?

They are auratones copies. Both are different - both I got on eBay (one for $5). The Roland RSM-90 I got on eBay. The Gina24 on eBay. The amps to the right ('67 DR and '84 Super Champ) on eBay, and the speaker cabinet. The Dell Trinitron monitor - eBay. Do you see why I like eBay?

<!–QuoteBegin>
Ditto about the clean part. I won’t post pictures my place is such a mess…

Remember - it’s brand new, hence it’s clean. Plus, I haven’t moved everything in yet.

So do you actually use the auratones for anything? ???

<!–QuoteBegin>

Bubba - I did a search & the thread didn’t show up?

Mike, I think by default the search function on this forum searches ‘from this month and newer’.

That had me seriously rethinking my search criteria before I noticed that little radio button at the bottom …

<!–QuoteBegin>

So do you actually use the auratones for anything?

Yes - I do use them. Once my mix is “correct”, I listen to it through the auratones clones.

Having said that, my mixes never sound as good as the pro’s. If I play a pro mix through the auratones, it ALWAYS sounds good, whereas my mixes don’t usually.

Toker, I know you said you haven’t moved everything in yet, but, do you normally use any line conditioners on your stuff? (It looks like the DAW is plugged straight into the wall outlet)

What say everyone on using line conditioners/power strips ? ???

Oh and seeing the flashlight there makes feel better, knowing I’m not the only blind one in the forum, LOL :D

Hey Mr Soul:
I like those “Black Faced” Fender amps you got… How’d you accquire them? What year do you think they are? They don’t look as though they’d seen Hard Times???

Bill…

[EDIT]

Oh and seeing the flashlight there makes feel better, knowing I’m not the only blind one in the forum, LOL

You can get "Spec’s at the Dollar Store… saves hav’in to buy new battries for yur flashlite… Well… have ya tried scented candles? :laugh:

Quote (Mr Soul @ July 25 2005,11:24)
Bubba - I did a search & the thread didn't show up?

The default search only looks through the past month. Use the drop down and make sure it searches everything.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I like those “Black Faced” Fender amps you got… How’d you accquire them? What year do you think they are? They don’t look as though they’d seen Hard Times

Ah - I’m glad you asked. I got them both on eBay (if you’ve followed the eBay thread). The amp on the left is a '67 DR. It was all beat up and the reserve wasn’t met, so the seller offered me a 2nd chance buy. I got it for a pretty good price. I had the cabinet restored (it didn’t have any tolex or grill cloth on it). I also had the amp completely gone over. It’s a beautiful sounding amp.

The amp on the right is an '84 Super Champ. I owned one SC but I bought this one from a guy who had it in his barn. It didn’t have a speaker or reverb tank. I restored it & it sounded better than my original SC, so I sold that one.

I also have a '62 Brown Vibrolux that I bought (on ebay) from one of Jackson Browne’s guitar player. That is my favorite sounding amp & it’s in the shop right now.

Yaz - the photo is misleading because the power cord that you see is from my desk module, not the PC. Yes - I do try to use power strips but I think you need a pretty good one for it to do any good.

The last stage I worked on…The guitar player had a Silver-Faced VibroLux… I’d say a '72-'73… CBS Version… What a beautiful Amp it was… But I don’t think it would hold a candle to the one you have… I had a Brand-new '64, Brown/Faced/White Knob’d BassMan amp. I bought, brand new. I wish I had it today… Light Tolex with Light Grill Cloth… sigh :O

I have a '72 Acoustic 370 amp that I bought brand new… now…

I used the BassMan 7-days a week for 10 years… I sold the top for 125.00 and the bottom for 300.00 MmAaNn… Really , one of my more Stupid Moves…

Bill…

The 2-10" Vibroluxes are indeed very nice. The early CBS guitars were also nice. Silverfaced Fenders sell for alot less but I find them ugly, so I’ve never bought one.