Studio Wiring

Feeding audio

Does anyone know of a site which as some decent diagrams for studio wiring?

I have only one audio out on my PC. I would like to feed audio to a few sets of headphones as well as four different speaker systems. I also have wire run to send audio to my living room stereo system. Is there another way besides using a bunch of splitters? I have an 8 channel Peavey mixer and an older JVC stereo receiver with A & B speaker connections.

After adding this and that separately over the past couple of years, I have totally dismantled and untangled everything. Now I want to put it all back into a newly remodeled work area in a nice clean and reasonable manner.( :laugh: )

I would like to see how others have done it.

thanx
cliff
:cool:

<!–QuoteBegin>

I have only one audio out on my PC. I would like to feed audio to a few sets of headphones as well as four different speaker systems. I also have wire run to send audio to my living room stereo system.

Four sets (plus one into living room) is quite a lot but from the PC audio out I would route the signal into something like Mackie Big Knob (there’s cheaper one’s too, Samson etc.) and from there into speaker systems and into headphone amp.

It’s probably possible to put a few bigknobs (or sorta) into a series.

What about a multi-way headphone amps? Loads around to choose from. Might have to split the signal before the headphone amp to send to your hifi.

www.musiciansfriend.com has a nifty little Unnit from Behringer called a Minimon that I use. They also has a head phone amp in the same mini series. They cost less thatn 50 buck and work great.

Those AV switchboxes that are in the $20-$30 ballpark are made to hook multiple VCRs and DVDs to a single input, but they work in reverse as great splitters. The down side is that they are passive and they (usually) can’t be used to send (or receive as intended) to more than one input at a time.

It MUST be passive for it to work in reverse.

This is an example found in a quick search. I’ve never heard of this company. There’s MANY other brands.

http://electronicsusa.com/svs14.html

I just got the new Behringer Headphone amp (AMP800 or something like that). It’s a great little unit. 2 sets of stereo inputs, and 4 channels of out with 2 sets of outs on each one. You can feed up to 8 headphones or line inputs with 4 volume controls (each knob controls 2 outs). Plus, it has a pair of pass-through jacks. Each output channel a selector to choose one of the 2 inputs. LED meters and pan controls. Pretty cool for $40 from MF!! I haven’t even seen it in the catalog yet. I’m feeding 3 sets of phones and my computer speakers with it. It might be just what you need.

Don

here is the site address at Musiciansfriend - the 40.00 units work great. I am using 3 different in and 2 different outs with no problem.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home…&page=1

BTW, a great resource for these sort of questions - the tapeop “Making a Space” forum:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewforum.php?f=19

I built my own headphone distribution amp a couple of years ago - it took a headphone signal and split it into four individually adjustable headphone signals, and it sounded like a dream! (at least way better than, say, the headphone outs on my Fostex MR-8 Portastudio). It cost me about $30. Nowadays, I rely heavily on my Behringer HD4700, having four separate outputs with individual mono buttons, balance and tone controls. It may take up to 12 headphones, and it sounds OK. I use it as an integrated part of my monitor setup.

regards, Nils

Thanks a bunch you all…

Those Mini series Behringer units look pretty cool…and for $40. I might pick up both. Thanks for pointing me that way. Now, I have a room to paint and some wiring to do…

cliff

…just got my latest issue of TapeOp but like I said…time to paint and stuff

Quote (Nils K @ Dec. 08 2006,02:59)
I built my own headphone distribution amp a couple of years ago - it took a headphone signal and split it into four individually adjustable headphone signals, and it sounded like a dream!

Yeah Nils, but I’ve noticed that you are an over-achiever. I’m not sure that the rest of us would be up to the task. I assume that you had to make this an active device, not passive, and that its wiring was not particularly simple. Otherwise you would have line-loading problems. But maybe g8orcliff is adventurous. He does sound ambitious…

T

Ambitious… ??? Well…not that much so…though I do appreciate that others CAN do that sort of thing… By the time I would complete a project like Nils’, it would cost me a ton of money on do-overs, wrong parts, ambulance and hospital bills (real ‘live’ electricity is involved)…you know. $40 ? …yup, sounds good to me…

cliff

Hi Toms,
I tried to access the tapeop board - do you have to register to see the forum posts?

OK, I admit it: I do have a B. SC. in electronics, but actually I based my design on two existing constructions, one found on the Headwize site, and one found at PAiA. I used some low-noise op-amps (recommended by Headwize) for the thing so it is an active device, but otherwise I used standard components… - I did make one goof, though. For some reason I couldn’t ever get channel 3 on it to work - it was DOA, and it stayed that way. I never found the fault.

I know of another site (in danish, BTW) where you are expected to build your own SSL-grade channel strip entirely from scratch just to be entitled to post anything in the discussion forum - I loathe that. That’s what I like about the n-Track forum: anyone can share what experiences (or lack thereof) they may have, and eventually someone might benefit from that.

I still recommend that Behringer HA4700, though. Good value for money. (I know that Samsontech makes a simillar unit, but that costs a bundle compared to the Behringer)

regards, Nils

Quote (bax3 @ Dec. 08 2006,08:48)
Hi Toms,
I tried to access the tapeop board - do you have to register to see the forum posts?

Nope. Trying going in from www.tapeop.com.

I hear ya Nils and, again, appreciate yours and all of the responses. Like you, thats another thing I like about this forum…takes all levels (noob to pro) to get a whole picture.

cliff