stuuupid question from stuuupid newbee

no midi output

I’m a guitar player and new to the world of PC recording and PCs for that matter. When I first downloaded N I could listen to the internal MIDI generator and the Drum Example file, now I cant. Since then I’ve setup my Line6 PODxt Live WDM driver as the solitary I/O device. I think a MME Wave Mapper was originally setup as a I/O. but I chose the the WDM driver because of supposed better latency( I do have a Line6 MME driver). I tried installing the MME wave mapper also, but MME and WDM can’t be together the popup says. Am I going to have to chose the lesser MME Line6 driver just to hear MIDI?
I can’t hear the metronome or any MIDI tracks, though all indicators or track VU meters show that they are playing( in some instances the track VU meters show they are clipping and I turn them down and the meters respond). Everything seems to work, but output. I get normal output for all other applications…ie. external wav. files, mp3s,etc.
Any suggestions? :O :O :O

setting up with all MME drivers didn’t help either :angry: :angry: :angry:

What MIDI output device is currently selected? Wave and MIDI are separate, except that software synths and VST Instruments will play out the selected wave device usually.

I have a GuitarPort and it was REAL booger to get it working as an IO device in any app -this wasn’t limited to n-Tracks. I finally figured out that I HAD TO no questions ask select the GuitarPort MME as the input and the output at the same time and I had to have the bit depth and sample rate just right. WDM may work also. I could not get ASIO to work. Ironically ASIO PODxt shows up, too.

When those devices are selected the external MIDI output still works that goes to my Layla20, but I had to choose that in the MIDI preferences and the metronome - both places separately.

The MIDI output to the GuitarPort is of no use since the GuitarPort doesn’t have a synth. Its use for MIDI is to control the guitar effects and setting in the GuitarPort. Also, the Microsoft GS WaveTable Synthesizer is dead silent. I don’t know why and I haven’t tried to figure out why since its not useful as a click (sync problems). You were probably playing MIDI to that when you first used n-Tracks.

Unless you have an external synth module you might be out of luck, or not if there is a way to have VST Instruments and other software synths to play of the PODxt as a wave device. That’s been a no go for me.

Line6 is currently selected as the MIDI output device. So there is no way to get the metronome to be heard through the headphones from my XTLive?? What do I use for a click track? I’m trying to learn how to use Jamstix and it works better with a track recorded to a click track( though I have noticed the crashing mentioned in earlier postings).
Have you noticed a buffering problem with your POD, I have. Everytime I initiate a new function on N…ie, new song, record, add effect, etc., my XTLive driver loses it’s buffering lock and I have to reset it. What were the bit depths and sample rates to used to fix your problems? :p :p :p

You should be able to select multiple midi output devices in the N preferences.

Then in the timeline window you can route each midi track to any of the midi output devices you have enabled inthe preferences settings.
Same goes for the metronome.

If you are still having problems and this is all just so you can hear a click track, then you can set it up so you can hear the metronome, record the click track to a wav file, change your settings back so you can hear your Line 6 and import the wav of the click track and line it up to the tempo grid.

HTH,
Rich

<!–QuoteBegin>

Line6 is currently selected as the MIDI output device. So there is no way to get the metronome to be heard through the headphones from my XTLive??

Not by seleting that MIDI device, unless the PODxt has a synth built into it. The GuitarPort doesn’t. You’ll have to select a MIDI device that does have some kind of synth, like Rich is saying.

<!–QuoteBegin>
What were the bit depths and sample rates to used to fix your problems?

In the GuitarPort Control Console, ASIO Format 44100 16 bit, and the device selected on the right shows the USB Audio Engine Active. No luck with 48000 or 24 bits. n-Tracks format is matched at 44.1k and 16 bits.

I also had to update the drivers from Live6 before it would work – currently using driver 2.5.1.0, proxy 1.1.0.0, USB 2.5.

Quote (RichLum @ Oct. 16 2005,19:19)
If you are still having problems and this is all just so you can hear a click track, then you can set it up so you can hear the metronome, record the click track to a wav file, change your settings back so you can hear your Line 6 and import the wav of the click track and line it up to the tempo grid.

Waddyousaywillis?
You can record the metronome?
How?
This DAW thing is hard! It took me 20 years to get good enough on the guitar to want to record. I hope it don’t take another 20 to learn how! ??? ??? ???

I’m not sure what you are using to playback the metronome but it sounds like you are using the inbuilt synth on your onboard soundcard…

If that is the case then you need to set your soundcard to “record what you hear” or similar in the soundcard control panel, set the metronome to playback whilst recording and then set N-track to record audio.
press record and the metronome should playback trhough the soundcard and also be recorded.
I don’t do it that way (I have an external sound module I use to play the metronome so I just plug it into an input on my soundcard) so I may have missed something…

If you are using Jamstix, another option is to map out a real simple beat in Jamstix in the arranger (just use Rock basick or something with all the improvisation settings turned to zero and the all accents turned to zero - this should give you a very basic 4/4 beat).
Mix that down and then use that as a click track.

HTH,
Rich

Problem solved! JS has a metronome that I can hear through my Line6.
Am I obsessing over a little clicktrack? Like I said I’m new to PC recording, but have been inthe studio a few times and it made things go easier there.

If you are using Jamstix or midi drums DEFINITELY use a click track (or a programmed drum beat of some kind that is synced to the tempo of the song).

Otherwise your Jamstix or midi drum track will not be in sync with your audio tracks (unless you have incredibly freaky innate timing :))

Rich

Greatest invest I’ve done was buy a cheap Roland SPD8… you don’t need to be a drummer to make narly beats for your songs considering the abilities you have in editing midi. Then slap on a drum sampler and WA LA! Sexy drums… wheres a drooling emoticon when you need one?