Summer Girls

the video…

I haven’t been doing much writing these days but I am still making video’s Summer Girls.

The audio is a new mix which I think came out better.

Peace & Love!

HEy Mike!
long time no see,
I always enjoy your tunes, and what’s not to like about summer Girls! :)

This is more on the Gdead side than your Crazy horse tribute stuff.

The mix was pretty good IMHO, there was however some odd flanging going in the hiss of the intro (sounded like it could have been converter related, maybe the video A/D conversion?)
and something happened weird/crackly/click at the end too (but nothing a good fade out could fix)other than that pretty dam good.

This is a powerful song even without the video, brought back some memories for me
:;):

Thanx for poppin’ by and sharing your gifts bro,

jerm
:cool:

Hey Jerm,

Nice to be back & nice to hear from you!

What you are hearing is probably due to the fact that the original recording was done on a cassette Portstudio and then converted to digital. The drums were added in the digital realm. I debated re-doing the entire song but the original recording was pretty tight, plus I didn’t think I could do those falsetto harmony parts anymore :slight_smile:

What do you mean by your GDead/Crazy Horse comment?

Mike

Quote: (Mr Soul @ Jan. 13 2012, 4:17 PM)

Hey Jerm,

Nice to be back & nice to hear from you!

What you are hearing is probably due to the fact that the original recording was done on a cassette Portstudio and then converted to digital.
The drums were added in the digital realm.
I debated re-doing the entire song but the original recording was pretty tight, plus I didn't think I could do those falsetto harmony parts anymore :-)

What do you mean by your GDead/Crazy Horse comment?

Mike

oh, just meant that this one sounds more like grateful dead than neil young, more of a musical spectrum analysis than anything.

I figured the hiss was from tape when I listened to it in headphones, otherwise I might not even have noticed it.

you are right the playing is pretty tight, it's not often you can recreate something when that happens.

jerm :cool:
Quote:

oh, just meant that this one sounds more like grateful dead than neil young

Ahhh - gotcha.
Actually I don't think this song sounds like either.
Another person heard it recently (from Facebook) and said it sounded like Tom Petty and The Byrds.
I've been compared to Petty before but the Byrds comparison is an extreme compliment.

In any event, some of those B/W pic's in the video are from 1971 and they are the "summer girls" in the song.

One other thing I almost forgot (which was the most important thing)! I was reading some songwriting tips in a recent Acoustic Guitar and one of the suggestions was to write on a different instrument than you normally write on. I don't typically do that but this song was written on the mandolin and was exactly what the article was talking about. Now I gotta start actually trying to do this more consiously.

errrup!

some of the songwriting tips are on the money Mike,

I read old interviews from guys like Rick Ruben and members of the bands he produced, they pretty much tell you the same thing. :agree:

jerm :cool:

Right which is exactly why the Beatles music had so much more variety after Lennon & McCartney started writing on both guitar & piano.