Surround mixing?

Anybody actually USE it?

Just curious…

Personally, I HATE “surround” sound… but I am proven weird! :laugh:

D

PS Why does the board software reorder the poll options? It doesn’t look at all like what I entered… :disagree:

In my last mix - You Ain’t Foolin’ No One - I heard an “audical illusion” as I’ve dubbed it, where a vocal part panned left sound dimensionally Upper Left and it’s counter part on the right sounds Lower Right in the headphone mix. I still hear it but there no actual way this could be. Is there?

Sourround sounds weird. Surround doesn’t have to be odd. Usually, when it is odd it’s because the mix is weird, as in wrong. It shouldn’t sound any more unnatural than stereo. A good 5.1 mix should flatten naturally to a good stereo mix without changing anything.

Phasing, bleed, and small amounts of delay and eq can fake or cause unexpected 3D positioning in unnatural ways. One of the reasons I hate spreading the sound of mono tracks by delaying one side compared to the other is because of the strange artifacts it causes like that.

I tried surround on a tune a while back, burnt it to a dvd and played on the 5.1 system . . . .

nope.

These guys use 5.1 live

http://soundbites.typepad.com/soundbites/super_furry_animals/

I like 5.1 when it’s done right.

The way the survey is formed misses a key question/optional answer: “I don’t use it now, but might in the future.” I can’t buy an amplifier for my TV/DVD/living room audio system that does not offer at least 5 channels out. “Surround sound” appears to be a feature that is “taking hold” in the market place and when or if DVD becomes the media for audio in the future I suspect surround sound will be even more popular.
So, to me, the answer is, I’m glad that Flavio is including the option so that it is available should I need or want it.
Bax

Hmmm… interesting answers. Thanks.

Keep 'em coming.

D

PS I wasn’t questioning the validity of Flavio including it or not. I couldn’t are less one way or the other. I wanted to know how many do surround mixing. That’s all…

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jul. 19 2009, 10:47 PM)

In my last mix - You Ain't Foolin' No One - I heard an "audical illusion" as I've dubbed it, where a vocal part panned left sound dimensionally Upper Left and it's counter part on the right sounds Lower Right in the headphone mix. I still hear it but there no actual way this could be. Is there?

Yeah it can happen. Somewhere on the webbernet is a stereo file you can play through headphones and it sounds three dimensional. The people talking move left to right and front to rear just like they were walking diagonally across a room. It is not as pronounced an effect if played back through speakers. Freaky stuff...

D

Surround is for movies and high dollar music production. the equipment involved is nothing we can have at home and actually get the mix right IMO.

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Jul. 20 2009, 11:17 AM)

Surround is for movies and high dollar music production. the equipment involved is nothing we can have at home and actually get the mix right IMO.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Shoot... just the synchronization gear needed to do a decent job with video costs a blinkin' fortune.

For the audio side, you think phase problems are a hassle with a stereo mix? Imagine the problems in 5.1 using cheapo gear...

D

with this generation being an “earpod” generation I’m surprised no one has developed a dimensional stereo.

3-D Audio Effect
Thought I’d beat phoo to the punch on this one.
:laugh:

3-D Sample

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jul. 20 2009, 11:34 AM)

with this generation being an "earpod" generation I'm surprised no one has developed a dimensional stereo.

I'd have to Google about for it Poppa... it's out there already. Based on the technique I mentioned earlier. Surround mixes for earbuds. It's coming... but not for me. I'd probably turn green and puke.

D

Check it…

QSound Labs

D

Sound Forge 8 has “multi-channel mastering” along with video sync. Pinnacle Plus version 12 video editing software has five channel surround sound. Neither is particularly a big ticket program.
As to phasing, doesn’t separating the sound help avoid cancellation? Wouldn’t the sound waves be spread out so that they reach the same place at different times? I sure don’t know, never tried it, but I know the idea is to have the speakers in different locations with different frequency characteristic.
Bax

Spinaudio used to make a 3d vst plug in. They seem to be out of business however…which is too bad, they made a really great reverb.

I thought KVR would have 'em but no luck.

i love 5.1 on my ps3. especially on call of duty :laugh: