Swing Wide

I’ve been working on this for the past month, on and off. Actually, I’ve had the melody for a couple of years, but never came up with any backing for it that I liked. I accidentally left a delay turned up higher than I meant, and I’m about to give up on fiddling with drum tracks, so it is a rather odd mix, I think. But here it is, regardless.

Swing Wide

what a unique blend of instrumentation there Kevin.

Man that is one sweet little melody and your tone and guitar playing is spot ON!
:agree:
:agree:

Nice Kevin!
Spanish, Jazz cool!

I’m trying to hear it now with a sidestick in place of the snare hit. Kind of a meet in the middle sort of thang.

Great listen Kevin. Which lead guitar is that?

I used my Ibanez hollow body and my Washburn acoustic. I played around a little with my Steinberger, but never found a tone that fit. When I get the chance, I may try substituting a sidekick for the snare and see how it sounds. Anyway, thanks for the encouraging words and suggestions.

Guitars are beautiful. Drums need to calm down to match, with a gentle hi-hat and snare played on the rim, this would be great Kev.

Having said that, I was at Deep Purple last nite so don’t trust my ears at all :whistle:

Nice work Mr. Myers!

I agree with most comments already. Change the drums would help. Or their environment.(room verb maybe? little less verb maybe? I dunno, don’t seem to sit with the rest of the mix) Don’t cha hate getting drums to sound natural, I know I do.
Don’t change the guitars or bass, they’re great!

Nice writing and playing! :agree:

I’ve done a re-mix. I tried using a sidekick, but couldn’t get it to sound right, to my ears anyway. The drums are tamed down a bit I think, though. The acoustic guitar still sounds screwed up on the mp3 compared to the 24 bit version. We are rapidly reaching the limits of my mixing skills, so I hope this ain’t too bad.

Swing Wide

Sounds better Kevin! Drums are smoother.
:agree: Yep the drums sit in the mix really good! (3rd listen) Bass sounds real good, nice!

Using Lame? Which version? I rolled back to version 3.96.1 and got rid of the warble effect in my mp3’s.

very good Kevin! :agree: Yaz’s avatar is groovin’ to it! :laugh:

Um you know the mix is real nice. I hear just enough of the bass on my laptop to make it good. But I’m not hearing the kick at all. And that is leaving the snare out there by it self. Any kick action to add?
Do you have a store to put this in?

Hearing good kick here Levi. Good bottom and high tick in it to. Only thing I hear (or don’t) is the song cutting off before the echo fades at the end!

My avatar is grooving to this tune for sure! :laugh:

Sounds good to me Kevin…

I didn’t hear the earlier mix so can’t comment on that, but nice tune there. Good playing :agree:

VERY nice Kev! :agree:

Now. Make a nice extended middle section and get some super sax guru to blow a solo… righteous…

D

Quote: (Yaz @ Mar. 21 2009, 10:07 PM)

Hearing good kick here Levi. Good bottom and high tick in it to. Only thing I hear (or don't) is the song cutting off before the echo fades at the end!

My avatar is grooving to this tune for sure! :laugh:

Is that on a laptop yaz? lol ya I can hear loggins singin

Kevin? How about laying those bass settings on me? :)

Don’t know what’s in my head Kev, but I’m hearing a completely different drum rythmn for this. I need therapy I think :)

Love your guitar playing!

Quote:

Now. Make a nice extended middle section and get some super sax guru to blow a solo...

That thought has crossed my mind.

Quote:

I'm hearing a completely different drum rythmn for this.

And it wouldn't surprise me a bit if yours wasn't a better fit. I worked the drum pattern out myself in the piano roll, even though I have jazz midi files done by a real drummer on my computer. Part of my goal in recording this was to see if I could do the whole thing from scratch without any of the crutches I usually rely on. Now that I've done it, I may well tear it back apart and rebuild it.
Quote:

Kevin? How about laying those bass settings on me?
:)

I used a preset on Cameleon5000 for the bass. For effects, I have a compressor and PSP's PseudoStereo to widen the bass. I also have it panned to -1, as I've found just a slight movement can sometimes make an obvious difference. My EQ settings? I have the low set on highpass at 40Hz with the bandwidth set at 0.5. Band #2 is is boosted 6.6db at 728Hz with the bandwidth set at 2.4. (Yeah, I know I said in another thread it's best to cut instead of boost, but I saw from looking at the overall frequency response of the song that there was somewhat of a hole there, and decided to fill it with the bass. Engineers everywhere are probably shuddering at the thought of such an approach... :laugh: Then again, how would I know?) I have Band #3 boosted 3.8db at 3568Hz with the bandwidth at 0.8. Oh yeah, both bands #2 and #3 are set on Band boost/cut. Both of these boosts are higher than I usually make, but I was feeling overly experimental, I guess. Anyway, even if those boosts were a good idea, in another song, they would probably have been made at different frequencies, depending on the other elements in the song. I was just trying to fill holes and make the bass as big as possible. Hope you find something in this that helps, until someone starts shouting "Don't do it!"