Syphilis and Evolutionary Biology

Saw an interesting science show on the History Channel or Discovery. It talked about how sysphilis evolved to become the deadly disease that we associate with it. However, Syspilis wasn’t always that way; in fact, it was a very mild disease, with little side-effects, in the New World.

I’m greatly oversimplifying, but it basically evolved, through natural selection, in Europe to be the more virulent type to “survive” itself. It was selected to become the sexually transmitted disease to assure it’s own existence.

Interesting show…

Mr Soul

Cholera is another delightful wee bug.

It’s usually fatal, and when an epidemic strikes, the victims fall down, and before long, they die.

However, this makes it self limiting. Just isolate the area where the epidemic is, wait for the people, and the bug, to die, then move in and start again.

So the bug has a strategy to overcome this. In the final stages of an epidemic when the survivors are few, it changes into a much milder form.

This way, the victims, although carriers, are still mobile. They are able to travel, infect other groups. And when the pool of infection becomes large again, it changes back into the virulent form.

Clever wee bugs. :D

But of course, it’s not cleverness; it’s just the optimum survival strategy as a consequence of statistical evolution.

Except, it may not be evolution. It may be it’s that way because God designed it that way.

If so, can some one explain to me why He did that?

Ali.

PS, why does God insist on capitals?

What is His point?

And, what’s he going to do about it if I don’t?

(Sh1t! My left leg has just fallen off) :(

It’s evolution Ali - God wouldn’t have been so merciful would he? :(

Ah, but at least we know he has a sense of humor.

But serioulsy Mike,

How are we to decifer which deseases occured through nature as apposed to those mutated and cultured by man?
For example,
Evolutionist like yourself would like to beleive that AIDS has been around for thousands of years, and only recently made it into the human population? What are the odds of that? Especially since we humans have been consures of red meat from every animal since the sun first scorched our monkey butts some million odd years ago.
I think there are groups of scientist, (perhaps terrorist, perhaps our own US) just playing God, and unleashing His rath in a unatural progression through bio methods.
I know, what your thinkin’, oooh boy here he goes again with one of his conspiracy theories!
Hey, I man can dream can’t he.

keep shinin’

jerm

You still speaking from the crapper Jerm? :)

The point is, evolutionary theory states that new diseases, organisms, etc., can and do arise.

It’s the creationists who maintain that all is as it’s always been since God (please note capital letter Gabriel! lol) made it all.

As for man made organisms, sadly, yes. (sigh).

There is a lot of evidence that the so-called killer seaweed was made, or at least modified, by man.

Exhaustive studies have found no DNA match in nature for the killer seaweed, but, exact DNA matches to a seaweed produced in a German lab in the 70’s have been proven.

But, terrorism it wasn’t. Or at least, not deliberate terrorism.

They wanted to develop a green plant that would thrive in the hostile conditions of a marine aquarium, and they succeeded.

Unfortunately, now that it’s escaped into the wild, it’s a far better survivor than anything that exists in the wild.

Ali

No, I’m off the shit ticket, but it does seem to be my
favorite place to read…why is that?
Anyway, killer seaweed, those #### venersnitzls!
They were probably trying to create a kinder and gentler suawercruawt!
Oh heay, if evolution states new deseases can arise, where do they think AIDS arose from? IE what did it evolve from? where is the trace evidence, in fossiles? where are it’s many cousins around the world, and what will they evolve into, more deadly strains, over millions of years of course!
Oh, and while we’re in theory’s,
I’d like to find the primortal pool that this new sound calling itself “screamo” spawned out of, and drop a nuke dead center. That ought to take care of the wining bastards!

keep trackin’

jerm

Well, Jerm, as you know, HIV is a virus, and viruses (virii Tom? :) ) can barely be classed as living. They are merely RNA strands with a protective shell.

But, numerous experiments have shown that viropottomi can and will arise in an otherwise sterile vat of yeast.

Mutations happen. It’s a consequence of (and the fault of :D) a certain Mr Heisenberg.

And the chemical and biological consequences are that complex molecules diversify without outside interference.

And the most complex of all, i.e., those that are “alive” diversify most of all.

Mutation seems to be a law of the universe.

So is the spontaneous appearance of crappy music! lol

Ali

Evolutionist like yourself would like to beleive that AIDS has been around for thousands of years, and only recently made it into the human population? What are the odds of that?
That's not what evolutionists believe. Please go back to your text book. :D

The only real problem is that sperm is a sexually transmitted virus that causes pregnancy.

tee, hee, pooh! you slay me…LMFAO!

Anyway, Mike, speakin’ of goin’ back to school,
I think I read somewhere that evolution is the syphilis of the soul, or Mr.Soul in this case…tee hee…

???

It’s all in good fun, eh chap?
Gone are the days of the monkey inside the guitar , but we can still have a good laugh can’t we? I know I will!
Now to find my zercron incrusted twezzers and pull this remaining brain cell out of my head. I knew I shouldn’t have eaten those green paint chips when I was a kid! DOPE!

:p
4 dead in Ohio, and a couple uncounted votes from what I’ve heard! :D
Later, Soul Man,

Keep shinin’

jerm

Phoo is right!

And I told her not to swallow!

Dang it!

“Just me and the pigmy ponie over by the dental floss bush”

Speaking of sperm… :D

Back in the 50’s there was a 5 minute animated programme on TV called Captain Pugwash.

All very innocent, and aimed at young children.

But, what the TV executives of the time were never quite comprehending, was the names of two of the major characters in the cartoon:

The ship’s first mate and sailing master: Master Bates.
and his assistant, the Bosun: Seaman Staines.

'Twas an innocent era! :D

Ali

ROFLMAO!

Quote (Ali @ Jan. 05 2005,19:54)
Speaking of sperm...... :D

Back in the 50's there was a 5 minute animated programme on TV called Captain Pugwash.

All very innocent, and aimed at young children.

But, what the TV executives of the time were never quite comprehending, was the names of two of the major characters in the cartoon:

The ship's first mate and sailing master: Master Bates.
and his assistant, the Bosun: Seaman Staines.

'Twas an innocent era! :D

Ali

Check this page out then... rainbow_tv_episode.html

"Rainbow" was a children's show and this specific episode actually aired.

The "Master Bates" thing is explained a little bit at the bottom of the page for the Pugwash show (to clarify, Pugwash is a different show than Rainbow).

As for virii, I think if each organism here on Earth plays a role, God isn't gonna quite spill the beans just yet on why they were created. Besides, there wouldn't be any plagues, diseases and sickness prophesized in the Bible without such organisms (aha, that must be their role, hehe).

Yes I remeber Rainbow, and it was as wonderfull as that. but, let’s clear up the Pugwash “Urban legend”.
The BBC sued 2 national newspapers for claiming that pugwash contained “inapropriate” character names. But, the BBC in the late 50’s and early 60’s scrubbed all its video tapes and reusued them. It also sent all its old film for silver recovery. So there was no evidence either way. And the 2 newspapers with no evidence apologized to the BBC.
But later the head of BBC1 (Cliff Morgan) admitted that Master Mates had been changed in the early 60’s from Master Bates and there was a seaman Staines. But Roger the cabin boy was never proved.

Technoid, that was gold.

For the record, I remember watching that show when I was a kid (although, not that particular episode, and not fanatically either)

Willy.

Speaking of Syphilis…I work with a lady who named her baby girl “Cie” after her Grandmother. I almost spit Pepsi all over her when she said she gave the baby HER first name for a middle name. You guessed it. My dear co-worker named her daughter “Cie Phyliss Washington”.

I woulda killed my parents if they laid a moniker like that on me…poor little girl.

TG

Quote (gtr4him @ Jan. 07 2005,15:16)
Speaking of Syphilis......I work with a lady who named her baby girl "Cie" after her Grandmother. I almost spit Pepsi all over her when she said she gave the baby HER first name for a middle name. You guessed it. My dear co-worker named her daughter "Cie Phyliss Washington".

I woulda killed my parents if they laid a moniker like that on me..........poor little girl.

TG

Yeah, that sucks. If the girl doesn't realize what her full name sounds like now, then she unfortunately will later in her life when she gets taunted in school by her peers (and maybe by some teachers). I wouldn't be surprised if she becomes depressed about it... and decide to officially change her name.