Taking a Serious Look..

What’s to “Not Like” about this…

Hi n-Trackers:
Tiger Direct is a North American based company that operates here in Canada… I placed myself on their mailing list to see what appears in the market place and to compare prices and all…

This link appears today in my mail …

BareBones Computer

In my opinion, this looks pretty impressive… I know IT is not “Out-of-the-Box” and ready to go… There needs to be more hardware to add to IT, along with an Operating System, and all… (Processor, Drives… etc.)

Is this a good machine and is the price for the parts that are there O.K.? and if they are, what other parts added to this list would complement what’s there to put a Machine together?

Bill…

[EDIT]
On the right-hand column the same offer applies But there are a few more components added to the list of “Extras”… (Hardware)…

Hey, if you’ve got some know-how (you seem to), and a line on a good deal for CPU and RAM, etc., it seems like a deal. My machine is a notch or two lower than this, and I’m not all that hip to the PC price game. But it looks like the foundation of a power machine to me.

Hi sloom:
As you can tell… I’m in the Intel camp… as opposed to the AMD Camp…

I’m not sure it matters much if you end up with a machine that doesn’t Blue Screen. or end up with unexplained issues… I think if there was anything against this setup, it would be the On-Board audio that the mainboard has… And I don’t think it’s SATA compliant… I think it’s Dual processor ready and it looks like it’ll see 4 gig of ram… It doesn’t have 1 gig of network speed, but either does the computers on my present network… Anyway, it’s ATA and RAID compliant.

It will need an Operating system some hard drives a graphics card some ram…

The 300+ package needs a few more things than the 600+ setup. But it’s Call IT “The Same As”… Both of them will need some kind of multi-track audio hardware…

Anyway, IT has caught my attention…

[EDIT]
Anything TO-DO with computers and computer parts… be prepared to move your Loonies with a bucket…

Bill…

[EDIT]
I was hopeing you might have gone to the thread where we went OT and discussed that ATI AIW Pro 128 Graphics Card. I googled a site where they have a link to some XP Drivers and utility software for that card, that runs in an XP Desk…

I’m not so sure if I know enough about IT to install those drivers and all on this P-111

I dont know about the other components, but $126 for the case? You can usually find an old ATX case in the garbage because people can’t sell them for more than $10. Since the case is nothing to do with the reast of the system, I’d pass on it. Also, you could buy the motherboard itself for $25 cheaper from Tigerdirect themselves :Intel mobo.

I think I’d pass on this altogether. Check out Dell - they often have free shipping deals and stuff and you end up with a comp with OS that u just have to upgrade a bit to make useable. You should also check out Tigerdirect’s other barebones:
Barerbones

Hi unca Bill!

I’m with Tempus on that Bill. It looks like mostly hype.

Shop around and you can generally put together a bare bones system for a lot less money. Try http://www.pricewatch.com and get an idea of what the going costs are.

The only advantage is in getting a pre-assembled package but you are paying a lot for that luxury.

If you want the convenience of a pre-assembled package you should take a look at Dell or Gateway. If you have Wal-Marts in Canada, you can pick a complete system and walk out the door with it including over $1000.00 worth of bundled software and a 30-day, no-questions-asked warranty. That’s always a serious consideration with off-brand systems.

I have been watching Dell’s ads on TV and the prices are unbelievable! Dell’s customer service is still very high but waning a little.

Just my opinion.

Don

PS: Another thing about name brand packages is that you are reasonably sure that everything works together as planned.

It does support SATA II actually. and NOT dual processor compatible. That doesn’t mean it won’t support a dual core processor though. I don’t feel like looking up which chip the 775 is though. The onboard audio is obviously not going to be very good for recording. looks like it has 3 pci Express slots which is good. None apparently support SLI video cards though. Not a biggie. The DDR 2 ram would be nice. The case if it is completely aluminum is good. Aluminum cases tend to be somewhat expensive so the price isn’t that bad. gigabit ethernet is cool too.

So…

From pricewatch,
motherboard: $264.99
ultra products
Power Supply:$119.99
Case:$99.99

so the street price putting it together yourself is $483 or so. All in all a really good price for a unit.

I personally think the case is pretty ugly though.

I’m fairly certain the 775 sockets are for the Celeron D cpus. Ok, but nothing special.

Hi Guys:
Thanks for the reality checks. I rarely get wound up in the hype… But something is driving me. If I could find out what IT is I’d put a fire under IT and see if I could “Smoke-it-Out”…

Mabey, part of it might be… After you got something and it works you always want to see if IT can be improved upon…

[EDIT]
I’m not so sure that IT’s working as well as I’d like to see IT work and then how best to approach the part of the set-up I’d like to see improved…

(Always searching)… for what IS-NOT… ???

I’m realizing that the “bottle neck” in the setup I have is the Audio Hardware… Sense drivers were not written in XP for IT…

I’d like to raise the audio hardware a “level in magnetude”, then the bottleneck will become these P-111’s… I guess I’m stuck in this “Go-Round”…

On a side-note to this…

RADAR Wayne and I are working on this crossplatform Project… Where he has given me a project he’s working on with the tracks written to a DVD and so I imported them in my system and I’m able to work on this project with-in a Windows Inviroment. But he’s saying that he’s discovering that he has an issue re-importing this project back into RADAR…

We’re working on seeing if this is a User Issue or a Platform Issue…

I hear him talking about this ISO 9660 Platform Standard…

I’ve been Google’ing this up and looking at THIS , but I have little understanding of the standard as IT applies to Windows based Multi-media… and Turn-Key Based systems like RADAR…

Wayne is saying that although windows multi-media understands 24 - 48 khz. files there is a difference between the data of the Window’s Base’d file and the RADAR Base’d file…

Jeff:
This is pretty deep wade’ing for me… Whats your “Take” on this matter?

I’m thinking it’s a matter of suppling the proper “Packet” information on the file so that (When the file is written on a CD or DVD) … RADAR can handle the information with-in the file… He believes that Users with-in RADAR has no issues with transfering files…

Could this be a “Bottle-neck” in “Cross-Platform” Projects?

I had another link to this , but I am unabe to post the link I’d like to show you, all… to this thread…

AaHh… Here is ONE

and here is another ONE

But the one I’d really like to write/post… I am unable to…post a proper link to this page… \ISO 9660 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.htm I don’t know how to convert IT outta my Documents folder… :O ???

This one is getting closer…

[EDIT] [EDIT]
I’m still looking at this BIG Time… What’s different about ISO File writting?

I’ve downloaded this application… But, I have not installed IT yet…

Bill…