Taking It to the next level

My first recording in a long time

I have been away from N-Track for a long time now and its taking some time to remember what to do to make a recording.
I was never a pro at using this program, but It suited me good at the time.

I just recorded a old song GLORIA…I bet some of you remember that back In grade school.

Anyway I got out my acoustic guitar and the tambourine and made about 5 tracks
all with the one guitar…no vocals.

I added some compresion and It all sounds not too bad to me but
What could I do to take this recording to the next level?
I’m just a amature at this and I do it all just for fun
but I want to learn a bit more…what could you sugest I do next to bring up the quility of recording?
TIA.
Dan

Cool. Are you happy with it as it is, or do you want to add more content?

without hearing the track it is hard to say what would improve it :laugh:

that being said, some people like to add reverb and/or panning to acoustics guitar tracks (with multiple takes of the same rhythm with the mic in different positions for thickness and harmonic resonance)…and then you have purist crowd where that is frowned upon :p

EQ notching would be something to consider for acoustic as well, finding that sweet spot and cutting out the mugginess in the center brings out the shimmer and shine of the highs without sacrificing the thump of the lows…but I digress.

dontcare :cool:

Oh, I forgot to mention…

do us all a favor and put some hall reverb on that tambourine…put it waaaaaaay in the back!

there’s nothing more annoying than a loud flat tambourine front and center of a mix
(especially if the person playing it is off tempo!
:laugh: )

Anyone who has been to a progressive Lutheran Worship service can attest to that!
:p

Quote: (dontcare @ Jan. 07 2012, 7:08 PM)

without hearing the track it is hard to say what would improve it
:laugh:

that being said, some people like to add reverb and/or panning to acoustics guitar tracks (with multiple takes of the same rhythm with the mic in different positions for thickness and harmonic resonance)...and then you have purist crowd where that is frowned upon
:p

EQ notching would be something to consider for acoustic as well, finding that sweet spot and cutting out the mugginess in the center brings out the shimmer and shine of the highs without sacrificing the thump of the lows...but I digress.

dontcare
:cool:

Hi Tony, I do want to add to my recording, it was the first song that came out of my head :whistle: I also havent picked up the guitar in 2 yrs, but I restrung the flat top with a set of new strings (Lights).
I'm just using this song as a learn to record a bit better template.

D.C , That will be another lesson for me on how to post a song on here.

I have already mixed the song down, but i'm guessing I can use the N-Track file to add more effects like reverb or add more acoustic tracks of the rythem guitar etc.....I will give that a try I will also try to find the EQ

Thanks for the tips

Dan

Ok, Dan. Make sure to title “save as” the song. Did you count yourself in on the first track or tap your foot so that you know where the first beat is?
You might want to zoom out a little bit now: “shift and -/+” for horizontal. Make sure that the track you already have is “un-armed” so "don’t record can be seen in the window to the left of the track waveform. In the upper toolbar go to “Add Channel” and choose “new blank track” (audio). Save. Worry about EQ once you’re familiar with the basics.

Quote: (Daner @ Jan. 08 2012, 7:55 AM)

I also havent picked up the guitar in 2 yrs, but I restrung the flat top with a set of new strings (Lights).

no worries,

it's much like riding a bike, it will all come back to ya! :agree: