Tappings

Please be critical.

I did this last night, I think it has something, but needs improvement. Please be critical.

Thanks

Guy

Tappings

My initial thought is there may be some timing problems. I am getting into the groove and then have to reset because the timing if thrown off a bit. :(

I do like the jazzy simplicity of the song.
The overall tone is very nice. Kinda reminds by of “Use me” by I think “Bill Withers”. :D

Keith

You’re on to something here! Very original! Like Keith mentioned, clean up the timing and resubmit it.

Something I do on stuff with no drum track is to add a full drum track, (jazz shuffle would be good here), then mute it at rendering. That helps me with timing. (Click tracks are totally useless!)

Keep going. This is very interesting.

-steale

Thanks for the comments, its a real help to get opinions off people who do their own recording and understand the process, I’ll rerecord the track and pay special attention to the timing, I knew it was out, I’ll have to turn the volume of the monitors up louder so I can lock into the timing.

Many Thanks

Guy

Like Steale said, I use a full drum track whenever I record. I let it run through the breaks also to hear the timing. At the end, I mute the parts I don’t want in the song or even the entire track. Usually they tracks are just bass drum, hi-hat and snare but it works much, much better than click tracks.

I use PC Drummer that I bought. It was about $20 or so. It certainly save a lot of time for me. For the final drum track, I used a Roland SPD-6 for fills and record other percussion tracks with shakers, congas, etc to spice it up a bit.

For you song, I would lay down a full drumtrack and use that as the timing for that soft shoe, hand on thigh percussion track (not sure what you are using but I like it). Keep the drum track while you are recording the guitar parts and then remove it at the end. Post any update and let me know how it worked out.

Keith
SaxAppeal

Keith - PC Drummer huh? You like it bettre than Fruity Loops?

-steale

Steale,

Hadn’t really tried Fruity Loops but I am open. How do you like it?

Keith

FruityLoops kicks ass, but it’s very complex and time consumming to setup a drumtrack. Very little is pre-packaged. Although complex it is infinitely versitle. There’s virtually nothing it can’t do. From drums to bass to keyboard midi. Once you exhaust that you can add your own wav clips for any kind of sample you can imagine… including vocals So the possibilities are infinite. It’s not expensive either.

But I want something simpler to use and PC Drummer looks like a good solutoin. It’s nolonger $20, it’s now $55 for the pro kit. (Which includes export to wave.) This is what I need but I don’t get to really try it out without coughing up the cash. With xmas on the way I don’t have any spare cash.

Do you have any pre-assembled loops I can try out? I’d sure appreciate it. You can write me directly at steale@steale.com.

Thanks bro,

-steale

Quote (Guy Boden @ Dec. 06 2004,18:43)
I did this last night, I think it has something, but needs improvement. Please be critical.

Thanks

Guy

Tappings

Needs more cow bell

I downloaded this way back when, just never got a chance to post.
I think the mix is pretty good. I like the jazzy almost skat feel of this one.
It might be my crappy speakers but I couldn’t here any bass. A standup would do it justic, perhaps with a solo bass ride at one of the sudden stops.

Reminds me of the well planned out music on the weather channnel (without the planning of course.)
:laugh:
Keep shinin’
jerm