Tascam 1444 for Pappa

I understand you use tascam products. Can you tell me, was it a good choice in getting the 144, anything I should know about? Just asking?

Paco

I would prefer the US122 - the old one - over the 144 mainly because of the output controls. But sadly the Vista drivers for the 122 are very demanding. (you have to unlug the unit before shutting down or starting up or it will not work at all - etc. etc.)
The output pot for monitoring on the 144 is a blending/mixing control between computer and input. It has to be set often and although it works well I prefer the separate controls of the older models of Tascam. The unit I bought and installed for a friend works great though and she likes the blend knob and swears by it. A quick turn gives her less track and more vocal or whatever she’s overdubbing.
For price and reliability hard to beat Tascam.

Well I bought the 144 so we’ll see how it works with the NI guitar rig 3 to know for sure. I’ll let you, know for sure Popppa how it goes.

Psco

:agree:
Quote: (Paco572 @ Jul. 31 2009, 8:19 PM)

Well I bought the 144 so we'll see how it works with the NI guitar rig 3 to know for sure. I'll let you, know for sure Popppa how it goes.

Psco

Well I got some issues and was wondering if you might know how to solve them.

I have NI Guitar Rig 3, I can run it in stand alone with the US144, I can hear it fine, low latency, it works as expected, however when I try to record in N-Track, all I get is a dry signal, no effect from Guitar Rig 3. When I run the Digital out in Guitar Rig 3 I can hear it as expected and N-Track records the processed signal (thought I had it solved), however when I playback the audio in N-Track I can't hear it. The audio is there, the meters are moving as expected. Any suggestions?

PACO

I found the problem. When setting it up in N-Track if you mix analog with the digital, you get processed sound but you won’t hear it. All I did was remove the analog settings so only digital signal remains and now I can hear everything as expected.

PACO :)

there ya go! :agree:

Well things are not looking good, perhaps you can shed some light on it. At first I couldn’t get any sound with effect, but as indicated in my previous post, I got that working, now all I have is track bleeding. Any suggestions on how to cure this? Because to eliminate the track bleeding I have to use WDM drivers and I can’t run digital because the output is there but can’t be heard under WDM drivers. In analog my input signal is dry. So my real question is how do eliminate the tracking bleeding while I run Digital. I’m I missing something?

PACO

I wouldn’t know Paco - I have very little time on that unit. I ppresume you have the latest greatest drivers from Tascam and not the ones it came with. I always found their ASIO drivers flawless. Sorry man.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Aug. 01 2009, 8:30 PM)

I wouldn't know Paco - I have very little time on that unit. I presume you have the latest greatest drivers from Tascam and not the ones it came with. I always found their ASIO drivers flawless. Sorry man.

Thanks. I'm going to have to return it and I'm going to try an E-MU unit. Yup I got and installed the latest drivers, I even updated the firmware. Oh well, maybe the E-MU will have better results.

PACO

Yaz just told me yesterday he wished he’s not went with EMU and had gone with Tascam. Why are you changing your set-up if I may ask? You’ve done some fine work on it as is.

I have guitar Rig 3 and I haven’t been using it lately. I run it through the line in on my sound card, Audigy 4, and of course this is an unbalanced input and I thought I could do better with a USB interface to use with Guitar Rig 3. Thats why I’m trying it out.

PACO

cool - I checked guitar rig out - looks like they’re trying to compete with line6.

Yo Paco, here’s alink to the UN-official E-Mu forums, you can check out some threads on the USB devices.
The drivers for Vista are buggy at best with the PCI cards. They worked a little better with SP1, but there’s something going on with SP2 for Vista. I have to restore defaults about ever 4 to 5 boot ups of my machine. I’m using the 0404 pci card with NO IRQ sharing and on board soundcard disabled in the BIOS. It just works when it gets ready. Hope some of this helps ya.

Production Forums

Quote: (Yaz @ Aug. 02 2009, 3:44 AM)

Yo Paco, here's alink to the UN-official E-Mu forums, you can check out some threads on the USB devices.
The drivers for Vista are buggy at best with the PCI cards. They worked a little better with SP1, but there's something going on with SP2 for Vista. I have to restore defaults about ever 4 to 5 boot ups of my machine. I'm using the 0404 pci card with NO IRQ sharing and on board soundcard disabled in the BIOS. It just works when it gets ready. Hope some of this helps ya.

Production Forums

Ya thanks for the info, I'm running WinxP SP3. I took the Tascam back. Oddly enough, I can run my Line6 with GR3 but it's unprocessed. I can however use GR3 as a VST in N-Track so it's a means to an end. I can play live with effects, N-Track records the signal unprocessed, then I just add the VST using the same effect I used to record, so it's means to an end, I can use my GR3 and it cost me nothing. Thanks for all the input guys.

PACO