Tempo/Time Correction

Need to adjust song tempo after the fact

Hi,

I’ve completed and mastered a few songs with n-Track and I’m VERY happy with the results, however, my caffine habit may be biting me in the a$$. When setting tempos for the initial tracks, I was typically jacked on caffine and, furthermore, I made a conscious effort to err on the side of upbeat. Two of the five songs are bothering me as a result.

I’ve tried reducing the tempos with n-Track with no success whatsoever. I’ve tried altering them with Nero’s .wav file editor, but it created all kinds of artifacts and warbles. Can anyone tell me how to do this (without altering pitch) with n-Track or suggest another piece of excellent software? I am willing to stretch all the individual track .wav files if need be and then remix them, but I shudder at the thought of re-recording both songs.

Thanks, Chris

I know there’s a stretch song option in Ntrack, but wouldn’t know how to find it on your version.
That would slow it down considerably based on your settings. But I think there would be a pitch difference, just look up Phil Spector to strighten it out for ya! tee hee
BTW… that’s how strawberie feilds was recorded, to different keys and time sigs mixed together flaw;lessly so it can be done.
But seriously, you can try and bring the pitch back to consert pitch, depending on how much you slowed it down. But 9 times out of ten I’ve come up with a different key. For example E>F#. Still in consert pitch mind you…
:laugh:

jerm

Dunno about ntack, but in sound forge to can use the “adjust file length” function to speed up or slow down a file, while keeping the same pitch. Works really well for drums.

It’s a difficult operation to do well. A high quality wave editor would be the best choice. Also note that you’ll get better results by taking all your original tracks and stretching them individually and then mixing, rather than stretching the final result, if I understand it correctly.

If you’re like me, you didn’t wind up with a few complete tracks, but rather, a patchwork of best parts of various takes and fixups. If so, the next step would be to use solo & mixdown to make a full-length track for each instrument & voice, import those into the song, and replace the patchwork parts with the full-length versions (to keep all your FX settings and automations). One thing that makes this job easier is “Clone Track”, but don’t copy the wave parts – drag the new full-length tracks into the new empty cloned tracks and mute the old ones. This also gives you an easy way to back up & redo if you goofed one of them.

When creating the full-length tracks, use Mono for mono tracks. Use the same bit depth as the originals. Uncheck the “Apply Master Channel” box. And the most inconvenient part: Note the track fader level(s) – write them down. Set them to zero (for the tracks you’re consolidating). Mixdown offline, and then set the levels back to what they were.

For MIDI tracks, just change the tempo (called “bpm” in n-Track) and re-render them.