Ten Commandments of Firearm Safety

Little advice for Dick Cheney…

HUNTERS: They say the person holding the gun has responsibility for identifying the target

<!–QuoteBegin>

Vice President Dick Cheney’s shooting accident that wounded a hunting partner he didn’t see is one of the sport’s most frequent mishaps, but that doesn’t make it less excusable, Inland and national gun-safety experts said Monday.

“If you’re out hunting, you shouldn’t have to yell, ‘I’m over here,’ or ‘Here I come.’ It seems a little strange that the victim is getting blamed,” said Kenneth Kimball, of Perris, a hunter who also manages Centerfire Firearms gun store in Riverside.

Harry Whittington, 78, an attorney and longtime GOP supporter, was struck in the face and chest by pellets from Cheney’s shotgun. He was reported in stable condition Monday.

He had been hunting quail on Saturday along with Cheney and Pamela Willeford, the U.S. ambassador to Switzerland, when the accident occurred on the 50,000-acre Armstrong Ranch.

Whittington was in tall grass and thick brush about 30 yards away, which made it difficult for Cheney to see him, although both men were wearing bright-orange safety vests, said ranch owner Katharine Armstrong.

“Bird-hunting is known as one of the most challenging areas for safety,” said William DeVroom, a Rancho Cucamonga resident and vice president of the California Hunter Education Association. “You are swinging the gun, and that makes it more demanding.”

Armstrong said Whittington did not make his location known to the other two as he approached to rejoin them.

Duane Harvey, president of the Wisconsin Hunter Education Instructors Association, said if Whittington had made his presence known “that would have been a polite thing to do.” But, he added, “it’s still the (responsibility of) . . . the shooter to identify his target and what is beyond it.”

According to the Hunter Incident Clearinghouse, there were 445 hunting accidents nationwide in 2004. Of those, only two were in California. Another 33 were in Texas. Of the Texas incidents, nine were attributed to “shooter swinging on game” and two were blamed on “victim out of sight of shooter.”

In California, the Department of Fish and Game requires successful completion of a minimum 10-hour safety class before a hunter can get a license. About 30,000 people a year pass the course, which is available in traditional classes and online.

Instructors try to go beyond the “Ten Commandments of Firearm Safety,” in their courses said Bill Tidwell, president of the California Hunter Education Association.

“You should plan your hunt and hunt your plan,” Tidwell said by phone from his home in the Fremont area. That involves establishing a zone of fire before the hunt begins, and sticking to it once you are out in the field, he added.

“If you’re holding the gun, you’re responsible,” Kimball said.

Hunting in a group needs special attention, said Gordon Drake, who teaches hunter safety classes in Fontana.

“If there are five people in a quail-hunting party, you want to make sure you know where everyone is,” he said by phone. “It’s the silly little things that get you in trouble.” Cheney’s accident, Kimball said, should help bring a new focus on safety. "Anything that gets people to think about gun safety or retake a class is a good thing. Hopefully this will have that effect."Staff writers Jeff Eisenberg and Claire Vitucci and The Associated Press contributed to this report

“We’re hunting Quail - NOT DAN QUAYLE!”

.-=gp=-.

<!–QuoteBegin>

HUNTERS: They say the person holding the gun has responsibility for identifying the target

Er, yep. That would be logical thinking. So since a politician is involved…

D

Well that cowboy attitude, shoot first ask questions later.

A good example of why I gave up hunting. Too many idiots in the woods with guns, just wonder if any alcohol was involved, eh?

More and ruder at: http://www.cracked.com/modules…sid=254

Here’ the article on msnbc -
Current MSNBC article.

But here’s the original screen shot - Original article.

NOTE the paragraph that was removed:

<!–QuoteBegin>

Armstrong also told NBC News that she does not believe that alcohol was involved in the accident. She says she believes no one that day was drinking, although she says that there may have been beer available during a picnic lunch that preceded the accident…

What rich Republicans on a hunting trip aren’t going to have a couple of drinks at lunch?

so middle class Republicans wouldn’t have a drink at lunch? Just the rich ones?

Lower class Republicans don’t even get lunch…

D

Cheney now admits drinking one beer at lunch. Where there’s one, there’s more!

Cheney now admits drinking one beer at lunch. Where there’s one, there’s more!

Darn echoes…

D

I have no idea how that happened - I only pushed the button once.

More out on this - Cheney was hunting with a female companion other than his wife - Pamela Willeford.

Hmmm - a little sport, a little booze, a little nookey???

Eh, sometimes the board does weird things like that.

I kinda feel sorry for Tricky Dick. I’ve been bird hunting and been “sprayed” a few times myself. Nothing broke the skin or anything and a quick dirty look or shout will warn the buffoon who did the spraying that I could return in kind if he don’t watch it! Quail hunting is a great opportunity for inexperienced goof-balls to get hurt. I don’t hunt anymore but even when I did, I did not want any part of quail hunting where guys can scatter and the potential for accidents is greater. Just not worth it… McNuggetts are cheaper… maybe equally unhealthy, but cheaper! :D

D

Now Toker, which was the sport and which was the nookie?

Diogenes, the last time I went dove hunting the field I went to had beer cans and liquor bottles laying ever where. Alcohol and firarms, not a great combo. But guess that could go down as part of redneck encyclopedia.

It’s 4 a.m. I’m up with sinus infection, head on fire, about to split open, reading forum and typing B.S.

Must be the anti-biotics giving me visions of werewolves!
From London!

From Bobharris.com:

<!–QuoteBegin>

A few things we all learned today
Monday, 13 February 2006

Just to review, in the wake of Tricky Dick’s 18-Hour Gap:

It is perfectly sporting not to shoot at quail in the air, but near the ground – at roughly eye level, in fact.
It is also responsible to fire at eye level when you do not know where a member of your party is.
There is no reason a hunter should be expected to know what he is shooting.
If you are shot by the vice president, it is your own fault for not first shouting, "Mister vice president, sir! Please do not shoot me in the face, neck, and torso!"

Being wounded in the face, neck, and torso by a shotgun is something that happens to hunters all the time.
Shotgun wounds are inherently minor.
People also go into intensive care with minor wounds all the time.
There is no reason to worry about a 78-year old man who has been shot in the face, neck, and torso and has been in intensive care for days.
A 78-year-old man who has been shot in the face, neck, and torso is obviously healthy if his eyes are open and he is able to speak.
It is perfectly respectable to kill animals not because you need to put food on the table, but for fun. It is good that our leaders take pleasure in killing.

Shootings by vice presidents are always reported by local newspapers, who learn a few carefully-chosen details from a friend of the vice president, after she has spoken with Karl Rove.

When the vice president of the United States shoots a man, there is no reason the president of the United States should immediately learn exactly what happened.
When the vice president of the United States shoots a man, there is no reason the public should find out about it until the next day.
When the vice president of the United States shoots a man, there is no reason he should be interviewed by local law enforcement until enough time has passed for his body to metabolize any alcohol in his bloodstream.
When the vice president of the United States shoots a man, he is not subject to any of the relevant state or local statutes.
When the vice president of the United States shoots a man, he does not even need to face the press or public in person.
When the vice president of the United States shoots a 78-year-old friend in the face, neck, and torso, putting him in intensive care for days, after negligently firing a weapon for the sheer pleasure of killing, he can insist that he has done nothing wrong and go to bed with a clear conscience.

Well, glad we got that all cleared up.

:D :D

Quote (YazMiester @ Feb. 16 2006,03:19)
Now Toker, which was the sport and which was the nookie?

Diogenes, the last time I went dove hunting the field I went to had beer cans and liquor bottles laying ever where. Alcohol and firarms, not a great combo. But guess that could go down as part of redneck encyclopedia.

**Sigh** Yep, that's true Yaz. I can hear 'em now...

*Glug-glug* "Hey ya'll! I jest funneled a six-pack! I betch... I betch... I betcha I can still blast dem low flying bastages!" **BOOM! BOOM!** "D@mn Clovis! Wat happened to yore ear!"

D