testing out the pod

:0

Did this little thing to test out the little pocket POD. Yes, UJ, you cynic you, I need to turn up the drums, but this time you REALLY don’t want me to do that, since I played the drums all by myself with no samples or midi or even a click track, and as long as they are totally mashed and compressed and not to far up front they are OK.

Anyway, the POD sound is the “twang” setting with my strat in the “in-between” place on the 3-way pickup switch. I was sort of aiming for a classic, early 70s sound. Pretty much there.

Also, it really really made a difference putting the pod signal through the LA610, rather than other preamps - I tried my presonus Eureka, the preamps in the MOTU, a symmetrix solid state pre, and my rack ampex preamps. The 610 really made it sound much more real. The others made it sound more or less like a digital modeler. I love my UA LA 610. :) Other than my strat, it’s the best piece of musical gear I ever invested in.

So, don’t pay attention to the song, really…it’s not much of a song…just an excuse to make guitar noises…

http://cookiefinger.bandcamp.com/track/mr-olsons-store

Have to listen at home Tom… Don’t dismiss the little POD too quickly. There are some good sounds in those magic boxes. They just don’t usually “feel right”… At least not going direct using cans for monitoring.

UJ

Nice guitar sounds in there Tom (well, on these headphones and tired ears they sound great). Great playing too.

There’s something magical about the sound of a strat isn’t there?

Drums sound just fine to me. Perhaps a little more snare crack would be to my taste but hey.

So why does my tele/Pocket Pod/TWANG/Fostex desk pre setup sound like a duffle bag?

I love the little Pod but once you’ve got it fully cabled, it’s hardly “pocket” and why is the USB on the front? and doesn’t utilise the available USB power?

I will say that modeling has improved a lot in recent years, and this is a usable sound, entirely usable, and done without an amp cranking, so that’s good. Most of the sounds on it were less usable. I still have not found the right amp for my taylor electric.

mark, the snare sound really sucks, but the mic I used was just a little radio shack mic, and I was too lazy to put a good on on there. I will experiment with that. I just sort of wondered if this one would sound OK, but it sounds really boxy. Thanks for the listens, guys!

Still not home to listen Tom…

You already know this but; Forget the preset garbage. They may be starting points for a sound but mostly they are there for Junior to be awed with in the music store so he’ll go screaming at Mommy to open her purse.

"Mom! If I had THIS and that PRS Custom 24 Ten Top… I could be JUST like insert guitar ‘god’ here…"

UJ

Quote: (TomS @ Dec. 29 2010, 10:04 AM)

mark, the snare sound really sucks, but the mic I used was just a little radio shack mic, and I was too lazy to put a good on on there.
I will experiment with that.
I just sort of wondered if this one would sound OK, but it sounds really boxy.
Thanks for the listens, guys!

I my (not massive) experience of miking drums the snare is always the hardest. BOINK, or PING, or MMMHHHMH. And if you get it right, CRACK.

Thank goodness for drum replacement. Saved several snare tracks that way. :)
Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Dec. 29 2010, 10:10 AM)

"Mom! If I had THIS and that PRS Custom 24 Ten Top... I could be JUST like *insert guitar 'god' here*..."

Actually we all have GAS at times.

I'd grab me one of them there poddy things but they are soooo expensive down here.

Still have my J-station but like Tom says, modelling has moved on a long way. I have a nice Rocktron preamp too but editing is such a PITA.

Uj, this is the pocket pod, it only has 5 basic settings, with some small variations in them. It was also only 50 bucks. But it has actually made me think about the big one, the pod x3 pro or whatever it is. Lessee…50 bucks vs 600…hmmm… :laugh:

Mark, I have a great snare mic, it’s actually a small audix flute mic, it gets that crack exactly, but it distorts when the drum is hit too hard. How annoying is that? Anyway, I have never been able to get a good crack with a 57, although everyone else can, nor have I been able to do it with several other mics, although everyone else can, so I conclude, naturally, that everyone else is annoying too. ???

Sounds good to me. Your material sounds good regardless of what you’re playing it through, Tom. I love that early 70’s stuff. Some of the best recorded music I’ve heard was from The Old Grey Whistle Test show, especially the camel and budgie performances. Oh yes, and no excuse needed for guitar noise!!

:laugh:

Thanks Jeff! I'm totally stuck in 1972! I used to think it was 1982, but I was wrong!
Quote: (GeoffO @ Dec. 29 2010, 12:01 PM)

budgie

Man, I'd forgotten about them. Saw them once at a town hall gig. Must've been 81, 82, something like that. Saw loads of those upcoming NWOBHM bands around that time.
Quote: (TomS @ Dec. 29 2010, 12:04 PM)

Thanks Jeff!
I'm totally stuck in 1972!
I used to think it was 1982, but I was wrong!

72 is probably better than '82.

:-)

Very nice Tom!

I agree with Mark on the drums. (Yeah I know… "SHUT YER PIE HOLE UJ!) :laugh:

I LOVE that Strat tone! Really, really sweet. Fix the drums… (or let me?) and that will go in the Zen player. :agree:

UJ

Can’t fix the drums.
I really mean it, if you heard them clearly you’d laugh.

72 is way better than 82. Although 82 was the year of the great album Pac Man Fever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pac-Man_Fever_%28album%29

:whistle:

Quote: (TomS @ Dec. 28 2010, 7:30 PM)

Can't fix the drums.
I really mean it, if you heard them clearly you'd laugh.

Oh ye of little (or no) faith...

UN

OK, UJ, you un-skeptic, where should I post the tracks?
You are going to throw up when you hear them.

the kick is an atrocity, the snare is el cheapo radio shark mic, and I broke a tip off of the right hand stick when playing the one and only take I did of the drum track.

Quote: (TomS @ Dec. 28 2010, 7:54 PM)

OK, UJ, you un-skeptic, where should I post the tracks?
You are going to throw up when you hear them.

the kick is an atrocity, the snare is el cheapo radio shark mic, and I broke a tip off of the right hand stick when playing the one and only take I did of the drum track.

DropBox == da' shizzle.

https://www.dropbox.com/

Sign up, upload gimme a link. I'd like an EDL too please if the tracks were originally recorded in n-Track.

Quote:

You are going to throw up when you hear them. :laugh:

I promise I won't! Remind me some time and I'll send you a before and after of one or two songs from the sessions I've recorded at church. Oy... ask Pops... he's heard 'em. Woo-brudda!

UJ

Can I have a go too please? :slight_smile: