Texas pastor electrocuted during baptism

What was this guy thinking?

<!–QuoteBegin>

A pastor performing a baptism was electrocuted inside his church Sunday morning after grabbing a microphone while partially submerged, a church employee said.

The Rev. Kyle Lake, 33, was standing in water up to his shoulder in a baptismal at University Baptist Church when he was electrocuted, said Jamie Dudley, a church business administrator and wife of another pastor there.

Doctors in the congregation performed chest compressions for 40 minutes before Lake was taken to Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center, Dudley said. Police said they weren’t called and the hospital referred calls to the church.

The woman Lake was baptizing was not injured, Dudley said.

Are the people from Waco reallly Wacko? :p

Mike- most of the time I read the stupid little articles you post or cut and paste and laugh amusingly at how different people can look at the same thing and see it so differently.
But for you to post this, and make light of a person’s death, especially an accidental one like this, in public in front of a lot of people, is a new low, even for you.
I hope that in the coming days you find something better to do that make light of tragedies and pain of other people. To do this is absolutely wrong and puts you in a new category of loser in my eyes.
:(

PB

PB - this article was on both MSNBC & DrudgeReport, so perhaps you should blame them for reporting this story.
I feel bad for the guy’s family, but I just found it ironic that the guy died while performing a baptism.

I posted it to this forum because it involved audio. I guess people who don’t PA’s don’t realize that you can get electrocuted.

My statement about people from Waco was meant to be funny (and not serious). I didn’t mean to offend you or anyone else.

Ja, ja, ja, He goes directly to heaveans! or to ####! Who knows… :(

Really, your crusade Pro-whoknows-what, really tired me. The article is not funny, not sarcastic, no nothing. Only shows what things you enjoy to read.
Maybe you can take your next vacation at Pamplona, when the encierro is done.

Some things are just better not said… 'nuff said?

Sorry guys but the image of a pastor up the his chest in water in Waco, TX, grabbing a microphone during a baptism, was just too much for me.

As a practicing musician, I would expect a lot more empathy. Working around electrical equipment comes with plenty of hazards. A person needs to be cognizant at all times. If you’ve performed outdoors, you may have faced a somewhat similar situation during a sudden outburst of rain, where it’s not safe to be standing in a puddle and grabbing a microphone.

THAT’S what I meant when I said we don’t see eye to eye on any issues Mr. Soul. And I thank my God for that…yes…'nuff said.

:(

I read this on CNN last night. In Mr. Souls defense IMO this is a story that belongs here. I had water splashed on me at a party when some people were goofing off that darn near fried me. Vince Gill got a nasty zap from a mic a while back. Younger musicians here and older ones’ who don’t know any better need to know that water and electricity don’t mix.

I wondered about a 33 year old man not knowing any better. I wondered about a congregation that had no one in attendance who new any better or if they did, did not have the guts to stand up and interupt out of fear of embarrassment. I wondered about this woman decided to get religion, decided to be baptised, and what’s going through her mind now. Can’t even imagine. This is a sad deal.

Yes they’re wacko in Waco…all over Texas for that matter!

Mr. Soul bring things to the table that BELONG on music forums. Lyrics are about the human experience and they include politics and religion. What would Bob Dylan be like without his protest songs? Envision Dylan doing McCartney and singing I’m a bluebird, I’m a bluebird, ya ya ya. How 'bout John Lennon? Woody Guthrie? This land is your land This land is my land is a political statement to poor out of luck folks suffering the depression and big brother.

This was surely a tragic event but some could learn something from it to be sure.

KingFish

Thanks KingFish - at least someone understands me. Dylan, Lennon, Guthrie - they’re all my hero’s.

Did anyone see Almost Famous - there’s an incredible “shock” scene in the movie?

Hey Bob, didn’t realize that you owned God, and could personally thank him for things. I’ll remember that the next time I’m in church.

For the record, I’m sorry that this pastor died & I wished it didn’t happen, but it did, therefore it’s news. I feel very sorry for his wife & kids (he has 3 young children) - I feel more empathy for them because I have a wife & kids.

I got baptized in a small church. We didn’t have a big, fancy baptistery, and the minister didn’t have to use a microphone. The minister sprinkled alittle water over my forehead & that was enough. What the heck was this pastor standing in water up to his shoulders for? Isn’t that rather stupid & showy?

<!–QuoteBegin>

This was surely a tragic event but some could learn something from it to be sure.

Should have used a wireless…

That sucks, but how is it that a mic is putting out that much juice? I mean, even with 48v phantom power, it shouldn’t kill you. I have a feeling he was just very unlucky as there was something else majorly wrong with the power somewhere. (Ground problem or something…) I have a feelin git was a matter of time before someone got shocked in that place. :(

Though, where is the fine line between a funny Darwin award and just plain tragedy? The reason I ask is I can kinda see both sides to this one in a way. (And if you say you have never gotten at least some amusment from a Darwin award, I’ll have a hard time believing you…)

<!–QuoteBegin>

Maybe you can take your next vacation at Pamplona, when the encierro is done.

:laugh:

EDIT: Just read some of the DArwin Awards… Not nearly as funny as I remember. Eh, I’m gettin’ old. (Notice I didn’t say growning up. That is just to scray to think about.)

I’m sorry, but I don’t agree with the prevailing opinion, and I do see why the headline can cause laughter.

Didn’t someone say once that laughter is just an interrupted defence mechanism?

Death is all around us. In the USA someone is killed on the road every 10 minutes on average. It’s a tragedy for them, and for those near to them, but for the rest of us, life goes on.

But should we mock the deaths of others? Certainly not. But I don’t think Toker was; he was just reacting to an image that made him laugh. I don’t think he was celebrating someone’s death, just responding in a very natural way to an absurdity.

And don’t we all do that sometimes?

The fat woman slipping on a banana peel and landing on her arse is certainly no fun for her, but it does cause laughter amongst others.

So I think Toke might have been a wee bitty tactless (so what’s new), but let’s cut him a bit of slack over this one, and save it for the real crap he comes out with. :D

Many older buildings are not properly wired according to the NEC or NFPA guidlines. It’s obvious from this incident that the pump(s), heater etc for this baptistry DO NOT have GFCI’s installed. (Betcha they get 'em NOW.) Too bad someone had to die to find out the wiring is funky. There are a couple ways grabbing the mic could have caused 120 Volts AC (or more) to hit this poor man. ALWAYS check your stuff guys. Guitartists/Bassists who also sing should pay special attention to their setups. Older amps can be a hazard for sure by placing you at a difference potential when you grab the strings then grab the mic. BZZTT! If it don’t kill you it can hurt like ####! You ever see any old Hendrix footage where his mic looks like someone went nuts with foam and electrical tape? There was a reason for that.

Be careful!

TG

Quote (KingFish @ Oct. 31 2005,17:38)
Mr. Soul bring things to the table that BELONG on music forums.

Oh definately! I’m right now working on my next hit single "Bye, Bye Scooter"

And I have learned a great deal of the ins and outs of recording and music production from reading about how purely evil republicans are…

insert eye-rolling smilie here

ROTFL :laugh:. I think we should write a song “Bye, Bye Scooter” or “Those Evil Republicans”.

I have actually trying to write a war protest song called “Pack of Lies” based on Galloway’s testimony to the Senate but I haven’t gotten very far yet.

The story shows that religion and microphones should not be mixed.
And that, if you really must wet-mix the two, you better use a ground fault interruptor.

While not enjoying the death of a human being, I can appreciate the irony in the story.

Quote (pastorbrian @ Oct. 31 2005,13:38)
... a new low, even for you...
... to do this is absolutely wrong...
... puts you in a new category of loser in my eyes...

Gee, no judgements being passed there, eh?

Brian, if you are in fact a 'pastor' then I can only thank the Lord that you are not the pastor in my church.

Mike was expressing his own sense of humour. It is dark humour, I grant you. But it is his and he is entirely entitled to it.

Personally I, too, happen to have a rather dark sense of humour and I, too, found this story amusing.

If that is 'low' 'wrong' and makes me a 'loser' in your eyes then so be it.

You are entitled to your ignorant, self-righteous, and intolerant point of view. Go with God.

Bill.