The all SM57 song

The all SM57 song

:slight_smile:

It helps to have a decent arrangement in mind when you start and a little bit of talent. My guess is that he has recorded this before and decided to try it with minimal equipment this time.

I like the recording, arrangement and mixing job, but I find that the cymbals sound a little dead to me. Otherwise a nice recording with the " Ol’ Standby " 57.

I’ve got some MXL condenser mics that cost less that $100. It wouldn’t help me sound a whit better to be recorded on a Neuman. I’ve got a rather expensive Gretsch guitar, but I sound just as good on the $100 beat up old junker guitar that I fixed up. I’ve got a big old used Yamaha analog mixer that I got for under $100 that provides the preamps for my audio interface, and nothing that I can do would be appreciably improved by running through a $2000 Mackie. I guess that my point is that decent equipment can be had at relatively low prices. The quality of the music that most of us are capable of creating is not at all limited by such equipment. Maybe for the very best of the best it is really important to have the most expensive stuff out there. But for various reasons, the need for top-end stuff is way oversold. Much more important is learning to use what you got well. I think that we all try to get around all the work that would be required to do this by buying more expensive stuff and hoping that it will all magically be better. I think that is the point that the ‘all SM57’ song drives home.

Eyup!

“Specmanship” is a curse which follows most hobbies.
We all know that the best equipment won’t make us any better, but we drool over it just the same.

Here’s one I did with a $5 mic

Well, £2.99 from Poundstretcher :D

Steve

Eyup! Eyup! and some more Eyups.

Outstanding song. Man, what can I say other than it is sweet in every way. The song is so good that its hard to force yourself to even think about the vocal recording quality. That makes the point in yet another way. But when I do listen to the recording quality, its really pretty hard to criticize it anyway.

By the way I really like the words in the song, and the feeling that you project vocally. Very impressive. Do you have any more of your music posted anywhere?

Eyup!

<!–QuoteBegin>

Eyup! Eyup! and some more Eyups.

Thanks for the kind words!

I did the song almost two years ago when there was a similar discussion on the forum.
It’s a cover of a song originally written by Leonard Cohen and revamped for the movie "Shrek"
Rufus Thomas does a great job on that version.

The vocals are a composite of three takes. I used the Classic compressor and, with hindsight, a bit too much SIR reverb (vocal plate I think)

I do have a website HERE , mostly covers, a couple of collabs and some original stuff.

I have a few projects in various stages of disorganised chaos that I keep promising to finish and post.

Thanks for taking a listen.

Steve

Steve - my favorite song on your site is the one that you wrote. That is still you singing? The voice seems so different… Goes really well with the song. I’m keepin a copy.

T

Eyup!

Yep, it’s all me I’m afraid :D

Steve