The Bushes & Clinton

Strange bed fellows

Here’s a vividly ironic, and deeply symbolic, political moment: On the very day Bill Clinton was being embraced, almost literally, by father and son Bushes at the White House, Republicans were pushing through the Senate an anti-bankruptcy measure that corporate America has dearly wanted — and that Clinton vetoed as he was leaving office five years ago.

No wonder the Bushes, who play for the deepest of keeps, love having Clinton around. The former president has become the family’s favorite hunting trophy, a symbol of their (and the GOP’s) successful, decades-long rise to power.

Taken from Bill Clinton, the Bush Buddy

I’m still on the fence about the bankruptcy thing… I’ve know people that have gone out a charged thousands of dollars worth of crap with the full intention of declaring bankruptcy so they wouldn’t have to pay for any of it.

I’ve been in debt myself, but at no point did it ever cross my mind to find a way to weasel out of paying it off… I budgeted, and worked two jobs for two years just to meet my obligations. Today, I have zero debt.

I’ve got a real problem with people declaring bankruptcy because they charged too much shit at Best Buy. Fvck 'em.

On the other hand, corporations get a free ride all the time… The company goes bankrupt, and the CEO walks away with a fat check in the process…

Families can be destroyed by medical catastrophes… They deserve some protection.

Families can be destroyed by medical catastrophes... They deserve some protection
Exactly. Franken had an person on this on his show yesterday taken about this yesterday. Apprarenlty, this is where the majority of bankrupties occur, i.e., middle-class people that fall behind, not the few who abuse it. Make no mistake - the bankrupty bill is a big-business bill. Just look to see who's lobbying for it.

Just another chink taken away from the "average" guy by big
interests/business.

The American Bankruptcy Institute, a nonpartisan research and education organization, says about 3 percent of those who file under Chapter 7 could afford to repay a portion of their debt under a court-supervised Chapter 13 plan. Lobbyists for the proposed legislation say it's closer to 10 percent. Using those estimates, the legislation would force 30,000 to 100,000 people a year who seek to wipe out their debts to repay some portion of them.

"It's not a reform bill, it's a special-interest special," said Travis Plunkett, legislative director for the Consumer Federation of America, a nonprofit research and advocacy group. "It's a triumph of big banks and other lenders over the public interest. It's going to make it more difficult for families who have suffered genuine financial misfortune to get a fresh start in bankruptcy, and it rewards reckless and sometimes abusive practices by the credit card companies."

If you voted for Bush or some Republican, expect more of this to come. Yesterday it was the failure of both Democrat & Republican raising on minimum wage. Little guy hurt again.

They've already managed to "un-do" alot in a couple of months, e.g., asbestos liabilities, class-actions suits to Fed. courts.

All the protections & programs are going away. Hooraahhh for the Republicans!

There is a big HMO down here that is in deep financial trouble and bankruptcy is just around the corner for them. What did they do to the CEO? The guy that literally DROVE the thing into the ground? Gave him a fat 8 figure severance package and sent him on his way. I would bet good money that any criminal activities investigated will end up at the feet of his second in command and the EX CEO will retire to Fiji and dance with half-naked baby dolls on the beach.

Whatever happened to personal RESPONSIBILITY in this country?

TG

Krispy Kreme a Winston-Salem based company (real near me) is in trouble. CEO stepped down only to be kept on with the company for 1 year as a consultant.

HE COULDN’T DO HIS JOB IN THE FIRST PLACE WHY CONSULT THE BASTARD?

Just another chapter in corporate america. Sorry bout yelling guys n gals, I just don’t get this crap. ???

I really want a job as a CEO of one of these large wealthy companies. I know for a fact that I’d be able to run it in the ground in no time flat. It’s also my understanding that in doing so I’d get let go and a HUGE paycheck for the privilege of being fired. At that point I’d be free to find another company to become the CEO of and and the potential for another HUGE payout when I get fired again. Eventually, maybe even after less than two years of actually holding the jobs total I’d be able to retire and play with n-Tracks all day long.

Quote (YazMiester @ Mar. 11 2005,06:22)
Krispy Kreme a Winston-Salem based company (real near me) is in trouble. CEO stepped down only to be kept on with the company for 1 year as a consultant.

HE COULDN'T DO HIS JOB IN THE FIRST PLACE WHY CONSULT THE BASTARD?

Just another chapter in corporate america. Sorry bout yelling guys n gals, I just don't get this crap. ???

I'm telling you man, CONSULTING is where the $$$$$ are! All you have to do is research enough info about your client to tell him/her/them what they wanna hear. Then send them a BIG FAT BILL! I see the company I work for get hosed by these snake-oil doctors ALL the time.

I just don't have the stomach or conscience to do something like that myself. I guess I'll never be wealthy........

TG

**EDIT: BUT I can sleep at night....that's worth something....

I’ve said it before and l’ll keep on keeping on; when GREED becomes your sole motivation you’re up the creek. Whether you realise it or not. The really sad & strange part is that these people probably sleep at night.

Quote (teryeah @ Mar. 11 2005,17:35)
I've said it before and l'll keep on keeping on; when GREED becomes your sole motivation you're up the creek.

Truer words have never been spoken.....er written. I agree 100%. You're right, these people probably DO sleep at night. Gives you an indication of how SORRY some people have become.

TG

Yeah they sleep at night teryeah, in a huge bed with silk frikkin sheets. Hope they slide outta bed and whack their yankers on the bed posts. :D

Quote (gtr4him @ Mar. 11 2005,18:12)
Truer words have never been spoken.....er written.

That's too flattering, isn't it ? :)

Quote (YazMiester @ Mar. 11 2005,18.14)
whack their yankers.

Yankers ? Remember you're dealing with a person that has Norwegian as his first language :)

Their private parts. :D