THE MOST AGGRIVATING USB PROBLEM IN THE WORLD!

YES, IT DESERVES ALL CAPS! HELP!

Okay, sorry for the sharp intro, but I’ve had it with my new (used but new to me) laptop. Here’s the problem:

I have a HP xz148 laptop (P4-m 1.8ghz, 512 ram, 30gig drive, WIN XP home w/ SP2, external 120gb firewire drive, Tascam US-122 usb interface (drivers loaded), Ntrack 4.0.3, Reason 2.5)

First off I do ussually know what I’m doing on a PC and haven’t had this problem on any other PC I’ve used or setup. I always setup Ntrack properly on my tascam’s wdm driver in 24bit with no problem. I have formated and installed all the needed drivers (restore disks) along with Service Pack 2.

When the tascam usb interface is installed, I am having choppy pop n’ click playback on everything, even on the intro sound when win xp turns on. In Ntrack, when I reduced the graphics display from 32 to 16 bit (in the display panel settings of XP), everything smooths out a quite a bit but instead of pops every 3 seconds its about every 30 seconds…an improvement but still there. In reason 2.5 I can’t even move any graphic related items without a heavy set of pops/clicks on 32 or 16bit. I can’t even open the windows task manager to view my processes without it popping and stuttering heavily, as if any graphic changes are just killing playback. This is all happening via USB and the tascam interface. When I use the stock soundcard settings, everything is fine and super fast/smooth. I have updated drivers for the tascam and everything, and its just killing me because nothing is working. I’ve been fighting it for 3 days. Any ideas at all. I’m at the end of my rope. Ive tried every trick I’ve ever used on other PC’s for stuttering problems and no luck whatsoever.

If I didn’t explain any part well just ask and I’ll answer. Need help badly. Thanks.

This is all happening via USB and the tascam interface

Have you problems like this when connecting others USB devices?
Quote (marce @ Feb. 06 2005,13:56)
This is all happening via USB and the tascam interface

Have you problems like this when connecting others USB devices?
Okay, well I bought a pcmcia usb 2.0 card and thought that might fix it. I thought my PCs usb ports might be damaged. But nope, still the same problem running anything via USB. I tried my digital camera on it and its stuttering while loading info and taking a long time. I'm lost.

Well, you know that the problem is related to USB. that is a good start point. Under your “Device Manager” all is ok? There are not any hardware with the “?” sign or in red?