The OH Boundary Mics, Just for Fun...

Gear, DIY

Here’s those AT 871-R’s I was jigging up a while back. mp3 clips of ‘em as Drum OH mics are comin’…

[/IMG]

The shock-mounts are attatched to a pair of Tama cymbal stands. Here’s a close-up of the fix:

[/IMG]

The threaded end of the stem that usually holds the cymbal goes through the metal strap (screwed to the ring), and is terminated with a nut on the other side that you can’t see here. FWIW…

Sloom, those are the coolest thing I’ve seen all day. :)

Thanks, Tom! It took forever just because that’s how life is… I’m waiting for my PC to come back from an upgrade so I can really ‘make’ what they can do as drum overheads (recording to a Tascam 788, importing to software).

When I know I’ll post something. I do know they give a lot of ‘room’. But as drum OH’s, I’m hoping for some better focus. We’ll know soon enough.

It’s fun to bring them to gigs- they’re fun conversation starters. Heh- you know me and conversation…! :laugh:

I’ve never used boundary mikes, but I have an old Radio Shack one lying around here somehwere.

Can anybody point me to a link that really explains what they are and how to use one?

Great to hear that you finally got them finished. Eagerly waiting to hear the mp3s.

Wonderful, Heath Robinson would be proud.

I remembered that the LF response of a PZM depends on the area of the plate that it’s fixed to. I googled a bit and found a nice document from Crown, here. It says to use a mounting plate to capture drum sounds, but no plate is needed just for cymbals. I also recommends putting a PZM inside the kick drum. Don’t Shure do a mic like that?

Anyway, congrats on the construction.
Cheers
TB

Quote (TusterBuster @ Aug. 24 2006,01:38)
Wonderful, Heath Robinson would be proud.

...Don't Shure do a mic like that?

Heh...thanks. Sure do indeed make an SM-91, which is a boundary-type design for kick drum. Pretty good, too. I know a guy who uses them live- I think mostly because they're easier to move around than the Beta 52.
Quote (Gizmo @ Aug. 23 2006,23:53)
I've never used boundary mikes, but I have an old Radio Shack one lying around here somehwere.

Can anybody point me to a link that really explains what they are and how to use one?

How old is it? Some of the older RS boundry mics are rather valued. Anyway, you slap it against some flat surface, and record away. the idea is that since it is at the boundry you don't get any room nodes. They're used in sound for stage and in conference rooms on tables, I've used them on the wall behind a drum kit to record a whole kit with no other mics, right now I have a couple on a big sheet of plywood that I move around in front of the drums, I've tried them on the floor, on the ceiling, on a music stand (the music school kind, big flat metal thing to hold the music, recorded an acoustic guitar and gave it a fairly agressive sound)...you get the idea. I've been looking for an old TV dish in the trash so I could put one in it and see what would happen. :)

Sloom, my wife says that they look like dream catchers. :)

I brought them to an outdoor party to record our band, and got some of those Dream Catcher remarks. Got a point, it’s like a web-thing in a ring! My wife was harrassing me with her best low-brow hick impression (“what the #### is that thing!?”) as I was taking the pictures. She’s a pistol. :D

I had a Direct-TV dish I’d found in the trash at a job once, but had so much crap in the basment that I tossed it. But if I come across another one, I’ll grab it if you still want one. I run into that kind of thing (that’s how I got the rings here).

Radio Shack… they keep changing their stock, and it’s a pisser. I went looking for one of those boundary things for kick drum (word is, from a good source, that they’re excellent for that purpose), and they don’t make the same spec anymore. So I didn’t buy it. These things have a way of not getting better with mprovement, I often find. Keep that oldie! Unless you want to sell it to to old Sloom… :)

I haven’t found it yet Tom, so don’t know which model it is. But I have found more info on the subject, and that along with your explanation has piqued my interest. I’ll have a search later. :)

They’ll sound even better if you attach some antennas with tinfoil flags! :wink:

Better yet, hook up a tesla coil to the antennas :D

Next I’m going to get a radio-control kit from Radio Shark and hook 'em up to it (with antennas!). Then I can aim them with a remote from long distance, while I’m playing! :p

I won’t really have an offering from them for 3 weeks or so- sorry for the wait after all the time I’ve been on about these things! :(

My PC guy who’s upgrading my machine is in a pickle, and had to pay his rent with my $$, so now I have to wait. My band has to wait. So do you- and not as if it’ll be earth-shaking, but it’s awkward.

I really have to do it myself next time. I’ll get one of you guys to walk me through it!

Quote (learjeff @ Aug. 25 2006,09:29)
They'll sound even better if you attach some antennas with tinfoil flags! ;)

#### straight they do.

Quote (TomS @ Aug. 26 2006,11:04)
Quote (learjeff @ Aug. 25 2006,09:29)
They’ll sound even better if you attach some antennas with tinfoil flags! :wink:

#### straight they do.

You know those big cones they put around dogs’ necks after they’ve gotten surgery, to kep them from pulling out their stitches? Hmmm…

ooh, just think how cool they’d look … I mean, sound … :p

Quote (learjeff @ Aug. 29 2006,10:52)
ooh, just think how cool they'd look .. I mean, sound ... :p

Aaaalllllriiiiiight....!!! :D