The "Rant"

by an old fart.

Ok, here’s what’s got me in such an uproar this week.

I found nTrack several years ago, downloaded the trial version, was happy. Paid my $69 at the time and had v3. no problem. Didn’t surf the forum so much in that day. Ended up with 3.3 I think.
Here comes v4. 24bit support. After a couple of monthes and no project going on, I upgraded, another $29 bucks. Now I’m at $98 or so. Here comes the bugs. Here comes a drum machine. Up-graded computer. Final version of 4 with all the ‘junk’ still buggy. Plug-ins crashing n and they are the ones bundled with n, not 3rd parties. Get a case of the blues with n and refuse to up-grade, cause a newby can have v5 for $60 bucks less than me.
Leave n behind and go to Reaper. Am happy at first. Now Reaper going same route. New plugs and new proggy crashes. Go back to original version I bought at Reaper. Not happy with digital recording at all.
What is it with the “tweaking generation” ? If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I didn’t originally buy nTrack for a drum machine, I wanted a multi-track recorder. One that worked! More time spent trying to add bells and whistles to an OS that has as many different formats as Carter has liver pills. Reading the blog posts for n I see the frustration trying to get n to work with older OS’s like '95 '98 2000.
Reading the forum here and seeing feature requests for more bloated features made me think, You can’t please everyone. Just put out a product that works.
If I built houses like the digital world builds programs, no one, I reapeat, NO ONE would have a house to set up a little home studio, CAUSE IT WOULD FALL DOWN ON THEIR LITTLE EARS! But I guess when their house fell I could tell them to invest in an up-grade.
Sorry for the rant, I’m finished.

The old fart walks to the corner of the room and is silent!

I still have and use v3.3 and I’m still satisfied. I’m far from being a professional. But, I feel that if I personally had the capability, I could produce professional quality projects using the version I have. I have a Boss drum machine, Reason and a MIDI keyboard so, aside from my own shortcomings, I don’t see any reason to upgrade or change to different software. I tried Reaper but, novice that I am, I don’t really need all that other stuff.

Just another old fart carrying on about nothing…

…now going into the corner to quiet down

cliff
:cool:

I guess we need an old farts corner Cliff.

BTW, listening to your tunes. I am enjoying mucho! :D

Yaz,

Like Cliff, I’m still on version 3.3. Does what I want, is stable and doesn’t give me any problems. I’ve often thought of upgrading but reading various comments over the last couple of years, I always stopped short.
Got a Drum machine and a Drum Kit, so don’t need any more bells and whistles, think I’ll stick with 3.3.
Cheers,
Ian

Hi Gents:
I feel as though I have to reply to your thread… So, here I go… Wagging my chin…

I’ve been around n-Track when Flavio came out of Beta way back when… ?? I forget the date… Is it '96-'97? It only seems like a short while ago… I was unable to make the Steinburg stuff work…

I posted this story before and… on several broken n-Track Boards…

I was dealing with Steinberg Canada in greater Toronto… It was hurting me 'Big Time" with phone calls and not getting any correct answers from them… about how to make it work on my machine… I didn’t even know the questions to ask… I was unable to tolerate this anymore and the Link to Steinburg had to be severed…

That very same day I Googled Audio Editors and n-Track appeared on my '98 SE Desk… It’s been there ever sense and no other editor has been reached by me or am I looking for any other editor to replace n-Track…

When I open n-Track and attempt to do any audio … it either works for me and my attitude on that day or I close it and no creativity happens till I have the idea corrected and if n-Track doesn’t do what I want it to do, I find or look for a way to adjust my ideas to suit what n-Track can do for my creativity…

At my age, I adjusted my creativity pace to to a slower level… If I was younger, I don’t know if I could tolerate this slower pace… Maybe, I wouldn’t be here, Who knows??

Over the years, one of my favorite builds was 1516… I created an awful bunch of two-track mixes with that build… Sense then, a lot of guys I’ve worked With-and-For has moved on… They are not with us anymore… It’s too bad… They have taken a lot of music knowledge with them…

Sense then, I have up-dated the versions-and-builds of n-Track as Flavio has posted them… I’m never more than a build-or-two behind the latest one he puts up…

The machine I do most of my editing with is the P-111 machine that I complained about when it wouldn’t stream the tracks I wanted to put on the timeline when I had '98 SE as it’s desk… and build 1516… and… and… Anyway, I have XP home installed on this machine now and it seems to work quite fine-and-stable… Some days this machine gets ugly at me… and I shut it down till I feel better about myself… Then, … it works just fine…

I’ve run into a Big Case “Tracker’s Block”… So, I’m not tracking like I used to… The farther I stay away from my studio the better off I am… I hope that someday this might change, But , until then… Many of the guys I tracked for-and-with are not here anymore… Too bad…

Now… I’m not a fan of any software that I use for audio production… But why would I jump from software-to-software when I’ve found one that suits me and the way I use it with the machines I use for making the audio I do??

I don’t know how computers work but I hang around here and read all the threads that apply to computers and software and pick up whatever I can that might help me along the way… It appears that there’s a lot of pretty clever guys that hang around this Board…

They seem to tolerate me most of the time when I rant-and-rave about something I don’t know or would like to know… and when I piss them off enough they just don’t answer any questions I have… Then, there are those that just move on… and… that’s too bad… cause they take a lot of audio experience with them, when they do that…

Just when you think you know all there is to know about some audio procedures, someone posts a tid-bit of information that takes you to some audio level that you never explored, before…

If I were to suggest ways of improving the performance level of DAWs I would have to say that keeping the Registry trimmed down of any entries that shouldn’t be in there will make your machine 100% more efficient than it is now… Anything like viruses, Trojans, and spyware is gonna kill your machine for doing any kind of audio… Shared .dll files if any are used because of having 2-or-3 audio applications in your registry is stressing your DAW… Big Time… If you don’t use or you have forgotten about some application on your machine that you don’t use … remove it and toss it out and clean your registry of anything to-do with that software…

I think I’m learning that, bloating your machine with software isn’t gonna make your machine productive… I know that if you don’t have software installed on your machine, you can’t use it… when you need to use it… I’m the worst one for loading my machine with utilities and then expecting it to stream the audio tracks on my timeline… and expect to edit them with an already stressed out machine…

I’ve learned on other Audio Boards, that when your setting up for an editing/tracking/mixing Session you boot your machine and play your tracks several times so the editor you use and your DAW can adjust to the setup/hard drives/applications and all that you use during that session settles down and repeats the streaming operations… Other-wise, your audio reproduction will “Jitter”… If you have plenty of ram… the ram repeats these operations and stability falls into place… Defragging the drives that you store your audio files on is a… NO-NO… That only upsets the Streaming Capabilities of the Drives and Files to be repeatedly productive… when mixing a Work-in-Progress session is in production… This is a reason for not storing audio files that you launch applications, from… e.g. your C Drive… Your applications and audio files shouldn’t even be on the same (What’s the Term)??? Motherboard Internal BUSS as the C Drive or where you store and launch your applications, from… That’s gonna cause “Streaming Drop-outs” as you play your audio timeline… on the editor/n-Track along with all the effects, when information is shared on the same Internal Buss…

Anyway, those are some things I’ve learned while hanging around these audio Boards… Some-or-all of this stuff, you guys already know… I’m just learning about this information as it applies to the machines I use to create the audio I do…

Maybe, some of that information might apply to DAW issues you have, on your set-ups…

Bill…

Sorry to hear about your troubles Yaz… bummer.

I am on Reaper 1.880. It and every build I have ran since 1.0 have worked pretty much flawlessly for me. I can’t say why it’s crashing on your system… ???

I have an old AMD Athlon Xp 3200+ system with a gig o’ram and a couple hard drives running XP Pro. Works great. The latest n-Track works for me too, IF I turn the latency all the way UP. Still get a few pops and farts at that. Reaper runs smooth and click-free at 10ms. I have run it at 2ms on some smaller projects and it worked great.

D - crash free and lovin’ it…

EDIT: A couple of times I have tried some freebie VST plugins that crashed Reaper. They also nuked n though so I’d say the plugin author was to blame on those.

Diogenes, Reaper didn’t crash on me, last build wouldn’t render mixdown. Just a blank wave with no audio. Not using any other plugs except those bundled with Reaper.

Same with nTrack, using only bundled plugs, but can’t use the tempo delay or multiband compressor in n. Soon as I use them, n stops working and crashes. Go figure. Just my woes.

Ghosts in the machine…Gremlins…who knows…

Found the fix for all my puter problems, it’s in the garage…A 10LB SLEDGEHAMMER! :angry:

Hi Again Guys:
Recently, I’ve been struggling with a Generic4.ZKG form of Trojan that executes a Virus when I do some unknown process on this computer… I’ve been working on trying to discover what I do to aggravate this stress on this machine…

It (the machine) then begins to work better after I do a virus scan and isolate the virus only to find that IT hasn’t gone away, or something… It could be Ad-ware related… Who knows??

If I think back over a period of time I think it may have started when the Board was hit with this “SPAM”… Who knows… Again??

I’ve posted my machine’s issue on another Message Board that specializes in Computer Hardware/Software issues… Over there the posters are raving about a security software/application called Panda… I think it’s an Argentine Based Group… If my set-up issue continues as it is, I have a monumental decision/choice to make… But, I’d like to raise my Trojan/Virus knowledge to the next level… and try to find what is causing me all this grief-and-heartache…

I agree with you, YazMiester… AND I have been awful close to reaching for that 3 lb. stone hammer that hangs with-in arm’s reach of my computer desk… :O ??? :p

Bill…

Yaz, I’ve been where you’re at. I’ve actually taken pictures of myself crying in front of my computer after fussing with something for 2 or 3 days. I look like something from the Thriller video. I have abused so many tech people it’s a wonder they haven’t put a hit out on me. I even sounded off to Flavio once…it was ugly. v3. worked like a charm for me once I figured out it wasn’t the equipment…it was me… and I had an emachines that I pushed to the absolute limit and that baby loved me back. Then I decided to upgrade. I got this rootin’ tootin’ high fallutin’ Robo-Turbo Dell…I miss my reliable built Ford tough emachine.

Anyhoo, I’m up to v4 now and I don’t see myself upgrading anytime soon. I love Ntrack. I think for a totally green amateur I’ve accomplished the amazing with it. Every once in awhile it cuts out on me in the middle of something critical. And yes, just last nite I lost an entire piece of music I had done some really tedious work on, but I too think it was because of the plugs I was attempting to use.

I love N, I can’t stand it’s plugins and that drum thing makes me want to slit my wrists. But for the money I don’t think I can beat it. Really.
AND!! The REAL perk is you get to be a member of this exclusive forum where you can get everything from technical help, to therapeutic outlet, to a group hug…

So here’s my public apology to Flavio for beating up on him a few years ago…

Whew…I feel so much better.

Wow, thinking I should’a named this thread PC anonymous.

I’m not beating up on anyone but myself, I know Flavio is going bonkers trying to get n to work with so many Microsoft OS’s.

I just get frustrated when I get a project going, the creative juices start to flow, I get excited, (that’s not that frequent at my age either) I’m ready to record and WHAM! C-R-A-S-H! Bang! POW! the ol studio starts to look like the old Batman tv series! Then in my stupidity, I pick up a guitar tuner and bash it against the wall in frustration. Luckily I missed the Washburn hanging on the wall.

Maybe I need anger management.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Then in my stupidity, I pick up a guitar tuner and bash it against the wall in frustration. Luckily I missed the Washburn hanging on the wall.

Remind me to tell you my vacuum cleaner story some day… :D

D

PS NO not that… you pervs!

Hey Yaz,

You’re right about the juices drying up with age! ha ha
As much as I hate to admit it, I’m working with Tang most of the time! :D

Diogenes

Go ahead and tell us that OTHER vacuum cleaner story anyway… :p

Well OK.

Pet peeve rant of mine… there is not ONE decent household vacuum cleaner ever designed that is worth two cents. Period.

We had this one jobbie… I think it was a Hoover… anyway, being the good hubby that I am, I try to help out with the housekeeping right? Anyway, this POS Hoover, I had to work on it every single time I attempted to use it. Crap design, flow path full of 90 degree bends and all kinds of places for boogers to hang up and clog the works… you know the deal.

So. I get up one Saturday morning feeling like poo because I had been called back to work in the middle of the night and didn’t get back to bed until about 5:00AM. Dutifully, I marched my T-Shirt and ragged underwear (briefs) wearing butt downstairs and drag out aforementioned Hoover turd suck-o-matic. I plugged the beastie into the wall receptacle, stepped on the power switch and BUUURITTTTZZZZ! UNGA-FARTO-BELCH!! The thing blew crap all over the place and died underfoot. I think I went from normal (for me :p) to raging lunatic in about 0.04 milliseconds. I didn’t even unplug the POS, I grabbed it up, threw the front door open and took two or three steps outside with said Hoover turd suck-o-matic held up over my head in some kind of perverted spear throwing position and heaved the monstrosity out into the street. I almost had an orgasm watching it bust into about a dozen pieces and them go flying willy-nilly all over the place…

Mrs. Diogenes, apparently now alerted by the unmentionable oaths I bequeathed upon said Hoover turd suck-o-matic, came running downstairs just in time to view Mr. Hoover on his aerial journey into oblivion. Upon stepping back into the house, still blood-red with a BP of 250/200, I said (screamed) "I am SICK of that POS! I’m goin’ to town and by another ^%$# POS and I’ll probably be sick of it TOO!!!"

Remember, I am straight out of bed… bed-head hair sticking out everywhere… in my underwear… crappy t-shirt looking like a reject from h#ll…

All Mrs. Diogenes could come up with to sooth my spasmotic trip into insanity was, "My God… I hope the neighbors didn’t see you…"

It didn’t work… sigh

Yaz? Sometimes I need that anger management class too…

D

PS Yes, at least one neighbor (that I know of) saw me. He told me a few days later he almost had to go to the hospital because he couldn’t breathe for laughing so hard…

I said, “You just wait… it’s a conspiracy man… they’ll get to you too…”

ROFL, D, got mental pic of this. Yep sounds like something I would do also.

Well this morning said guitar tuner (a cheap little korg) is ok, only the back where the battery goes poped off. Hey it even works. Least I didn’tmake a hole in the wall. Normally when I get PO’d it’s patching sheet rock the next day.

OMG! My sides are aching, I can’t breathe, tears are streaming from my eyes. I’m trying hard not to scream because I’m AT WORK! This is TOO funny. I have to print this and show it to everybody. I think we’ve all “been there” before. I know I have but for some reason (miracle) never carried it out, but I feel like you did it for ALL OF US! Way to go D! This is the funniest thing I’ve come across in awhile. And Oh yeah do I get the visual. This is the kind of bust-o-gut laugh that can pull me out of a funk. Thank you D. That was worth money. I’m gonna push “send” and read it again. Whooooooooo!!!

You really should have used an ax. It’s very therapeutic to hack things up.

http://www.shopvac.com/

Because of my ‘temper’ my wife has locked up and keeps the key to all implements of destruction at this household.