The results of a semi-pro remix/production!!

“maybe I”

I posted this track on artistcollaboration.com and Jason Shaw (aka zero) has remixed it. I think he has done a brilliant job on the mix. We are looking for further comments/suggestions so that we ca wrap it up.

Maybe I (Zero Remix)

Thanks guys

Nick

You’re quite right! This is a brilliant mix!!

If I were to change anything (please be careful with that - your mix may actually fall apart in the process - do at least keep the original mix on file in case it does) I would change the sound of the acoustic guitar in the first section (before the drums set in) in such a way that it doesen’t mask the vocal so much - just try removing a tiny bit of midrange from it, perhaps only in this first section, keep the levels where they are in every other respect. It’s a strong opening. I might also increase the tingling piano a bit towards the end - not much, just give it a little more ‘presence’ and ‘being-there-ness’ to make it stand out more.

Just my 2 øre…

Good luck with this - it may be a hit…!

regards, Nils

THanks Nils. I will pass these comments on…

That acoustic was a pain in the ass to record (Aren’t they always?). I’ll see about lifting some midrange as long as it doesn’t leave it too thin-sounding. Good advice, thanks again.

Nick

Good song. I actually think that the guitar is just a little too loud in the intro and initially swamps both the vocals and the synth. I would just ease it in a little bit more gradually.

Around 2:07 where the chorus kicks in I find things a little cluttered. Maybe a bit more more ride than I like but I am not sure that is the most important factor. I am talking subtleties not gross changes. I feel the chorus at the end has similar issues but not as pronounced. I think that the contrast with the previous section is part of the issue. Contrast can be a good thing but I am not sure that the transition works as well as it could.

Overall it is a very good mix and a nice arrangement.

Jim

I agree with the previous comments. The other thing I noticed was that the high frequencies are quite brittle sounding. Made it hard for me to listen all the way to the end of the song.

Yeah, I have to agree with the mix being brittle.

This song is so great and your voice is so amazing. Just my personal opinion, but I think the mix is very good, the guitar does not overpower your voice to my ears.

However, I do not care for the intro with the alternating organ notes. They eventuall disapear from the song and I wonder why they were there to begin with. Later a violin appears and adds wonderful warmth and depth. I would ditch the organ intro and have the violin appear in the intro.

Other than that, I can not rave enough about this song – it should be on the charts!

Keep it up – you are going places.

Beth

Thanks for the comments - very useful to get some other ‘ears’ on it.

It has now been slightly remixed, with a few of the suggestions implemented.

Maybe I

Thanks

Nick

After the drums kick in, I like this song very much. But the intro isn’t up to the standard of the rest of the song. The organ is distracting, and in general, the harmonic structure of the instrumentation doesn’t seem to me to support the melody adequately. Voice and instruments just seem too disconected during the intro. But everything really works after the song really gets going.

I do like the idea of keeping the instrumentation during the intro simple and in the back ground, as I think that you are trying to do. Maybe it would help to simplify further, and use something less obtrusive than the organ. You don’t want folks swithching off your song because the intro doesn’t hook them in.

My own opinion is that simple things are the hardest to compose, perform and record. Everything has to be perfect. But this song is worth the effort that you will spend on the intro.

Quote (tspringer @ April 23 2006,11:38)
After the drums kick in, I like this song very much. But the intro isn’t up to the standard of the rest of the song. The organ is distracting, and in general, the harmonic structure of the instrumentation doesn’t seem to me to support the melody adequately. Voice and instruments just seem too disconected during the intro. But everything really works after the song really gets going.

I do like the idea of keeping the instrumentation during the intro simple and in the back ground, as I think that you are trying to do. Maybe it would help to simplify further, and use something less obtrusive than the organ. You don’t want folks swithching off your song because the intro doesn’t hook them in.

My own opinion is that simple things are the hardest to compose, perform and record. Everything has to be perfect. But this song is worth the effort that you will spend on the intro.

These are good points. The organ was added early on in the production and I soon got used to it and it stayed - but I do know what you mean.

I guess it is worth mentioing that this is only the second track that I have ever recorded so consider myself a novice at this. The original intended audience was: me, my sons and maybe the folks from work - its getting a bit more exposure now though. So these minor points of critique and the idea that it would be perfect otherwise are a real compliment :)

The track has also been produced and remixed in a totally different interpretation by a producer from Spain (Snr Paul)

Maybe I Atmosphere remix

best regards

Nick