The Rolling Stones really...

I mean, c’mon!

My wife tells me they just appeared on a soap, Days of Our Lives. Really rock and roll rebellion, that. :)

Worst band taht ever made a lot of money in history, anyway. :D

…agree to that…

cliff

:cool:

The only (popular) singer worse than Jagger is Bob Dylan (or maybe Neil Young, but that’s a close one)…

Altough I like a few of their songs, I never really did understand the mass appeal of the Stones; just not my cup of tea, I suppose.

Bah - the Stones released a bunch of great singles in the 60s and Sticky Fingers is stil a great album IMO. Are they overrated today ? Sure.

However, methinks TomS is trying to sneak in yet another jab at Les Paul users since Keef wasn’t seen wielding too many Strats during their heyday.
Alas: This is pure Strat-wing smear and single coil conspiracy :)

<!–QuoteBegin>

Alas: This is pure Strat-wing smear and single coil conspiracy

Bwahahahaha !

IMO …sticky fingers was their best because they had mick taylor playing REAL guitar…they ran him off cuz he was tooooo talented for the group.
IMO…

cliff

<!–QuoteBegin>

However, methinks TomS is trying to sneak in yet another jab at Les Paul users since Keef wasn’t seen wielding too many Strats during their heyday.

I always think “tele” when I think of Keef, but maybe that’s a modern day thing. Never really got into the Stones when I was younger. Prefered the Beatles. Much better band (ducks and runs for cover).

Mark

Strat-wing smear… HA! That’s great! :D

Not much of a Stones fan either. Keef did do some neat work with alternate tunings and such though… Pretty decent for a guy who looks like he died 20 years ago and was just too smashed to realize it…

D

I reckon y’all are not seeing the value of the Stones. Yes they are overrated now. Yes it is all about the money, but it always was y’know. But the stones actually have a groove thing going that nobody else really dares to do, specially now. It is just a straight-ahead rock thing, largely unadorned, and it allows the songs to live or die on their own merits (yeah there are exceptions).

If you play in a cover band, and the night is going slow, crowd isn’t really getting into it, just play the first few bars of honky tonk woman, and you’ll probably get a reaction. If that doesn’t work, try brown sugar. I find it works every time. This is the value of the Stones, simple rock that anybody can have fun moving to. Even their new album has the exact same grooves in it as always.

And I disagree, I think Mick Jagger is a #### of a singer, he’s one of those singers who can sing out of tune and it still sounds good cos of all the expression he puts into it.

You got it kymarcus; Keith Richard and Francis Rossi, two of the greatest riffmeisters ever. If your toes ain’t tapping after the first two bars of the song, you’re dead! :D

<!–QuoteBegin>

This is the value of the Stones, simple rock that anybody can have fun moving to.

Hmmm… In retrospect… I think I have to agree. Just not my fav band. You are right about the straight-ahead “fun” rock and roll thang though. Gotta give 'em credit for that. (The old farts!)

D

Quote (g8torcliff @ Dec. 22 2005,09:17)
IMO …sticky fingers was their best because they had mick taylor playing REAL guitar…they ran him off cuz he was tooooo talented for the group.

Bah again. Sticky Fingers’ greatness lies in the songwriting, arrangements & production. The first few seconds of Brown Sugar is enough to get anybody hooked.
Mick Taylor left because he couldn’t out-Keef Keef, and realised that he couldn’t. He got out and thus didn’t get dead. Smart fellow !

Quote (Ali_G @ Dec. 22 2005,13:43)
You got it kymarcus; Keith Richard and Francis Rossi, two of the greatest riffmeisters ever. If your toes ain’t tapping after the first two bars of the song, you’re dead! :D

Yeah ! Keef & Frame, masters of the craft :)
The Frantic Four were fantastic from Piledriver through Live. After that you mostly heard copious amounts of coke with the odd great song accidentally thrown in.

Re Stones vs The Fab Four; Horses for courses. I love the Beatles’ ‘blue’ period more than most people but they were more of a poppy/arty/experimental entity whereas the Stones found THE GROOVE after some mucking about.
Listen to the original version of, say, Jumping Jack Flash and tell me that Jagger doesn’t suit the song perfectly (lyrics AND delivery) even if he probably wouldn’t be able to do Penny Lane or Let It Be better than any sod up there handling the mic on karaoke night…

Some more humbucker gospel: The guitars on Let Yer Ya-Yas Out are gloriously rotten but cool as ****. IMO, of course :)

Finally, Teles and Strats are NOT the same thing ! Speaking of single coils, thank god for Dynasonics :)

EDIT: And P90s. Strats be danged !

The Stones, Neil Young & Dylan all got record contracts, made a lot of money and are still doing it, what did you say was wrong with their music? Unless you’ve been there, don’t whine about theirt music.
Only my 2 cents worth

Don

Quote (Don @ Dec. 22 2005,15:23)
The Stones, Neil Young & Dylan all got record contracts, made a lot of money and are still doing it, what did you say was wrong with their music? Unless you’ve been there, don’t whine about theirt music.
Only my 2 cents worth

Don

Here we go with the truly tired and inane “They have record contracts and you don’t therefore you have no right to express your opinion” BS argument.

…and then you add the “Only my 2 cents worth” little disclaimer at the end.

Do you see the irony of you posting your opinion that I should not post my opinion? I doubt it. What gives you the right to have an opinion where you would deny me the same right?

And another thing: Don’t you dare accuse me of whining. You haven’t heard me whine yet. When you do, there will be no doubt whatsoever about what I am doing. Ask anyone that’s been around for awhile.
:;):

In the meantime… bugger off.

oh yeah, almost forgot…
Only my 3 cents worth

<!–QuoteBegin>

Finally, Teles and Strats are NOT the same thing

Yeah, got one of each. Love 'em both for different reasons. Had the strat forever, got the Tele a few years back.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Here we go with the truly tired and inane “They have record contracts and you don’t therefore you have no right to express your opinion” BS argument.

…and then you add the “Only my 2 cents worth” little disclaimer at the end.

Do you see the irony of you posting your opinion that I should not post my opinion? I doubt it. What gives you the right to have an opinion where you would deny me the same right?

And another thing: Don’t you dare accuse me of whining. You haven’t heard me whine yet. When you do, there will be no doubt whatsoever about what I am doing. Ask anyone that’s been around for awhile.

Yep. Interesting one. When I used to gig a lot (we were quite big on the local scene) we’d get a lot of drunk wanna-be’s give us abuse, to which the stock reply was "well we’ve got the gig tonight; when’s your next gig?"

Kinda similar argument to Don’s.

I made the mistake once of letting some guy who was “in a band” play my guitar on one song… Johnny B. Goode or something - big mistake. Now, no one, 'cept me, plays MY strat!

exile on main street…scrape the shit right off your shoes

Ohhhh John, did I touch a nerve, at least these guys are not on welfare!!! and their records are still being played.
Don

<!–QuoteBegin>

Worst band taht ever made a lot of money in history, anyway.

You’ve got to be kidding! The Rolling Stones ROCK!

I agree that Dylan is NOW a terrible singer but when he was younger his voice was OK.

<!–QuoteBegin>
Altough I like a few of their songs, I never really did understand the mass appeal of the Stones

Huh??? Did you guys ever go to parties in college where the Stones were on the juke box? Did you notice that everyone was dancing?

Mick Jagger was/is a great rock ‘n’ roll singer, maybe one of the best. The Rolling Stones were/are the greatest rock ‘n’ roll bands of all time - maybe still? What’s not to like about the Stones?

Opinions are fine but let’s show 'em some respect. I know people who hate the Beatles, to each his own, but show 'em some respect - please.

Get your ya, ya’s out