The Space Race

New Song Posting

Been playing guitar on and off for a number of years but this is the first complete song I’ve written. Thought I’d post it here as you’ve been so helpful to noob’s like me with your hints on N-track recording techniques, how-to’s etc…

Just a quick backdrop before you check it out. Got the idea for the song about a year ago when I saw a t.v. program talk about the space race. At first I was attracted to how cool the two words sounded together. Then it dawned on me that I hadn’t really heard any songs devoted to that topic- which was (and is) one of the great adventures of man.

What I found researching the subject a little was that it was full of dates-the soviets did this on that date, the US did that on this other date. So I wanted to avoid that lyrically, but still give an idea somewhat chronologically as to what happened when.

Because I felt the motives for going into space in the first place were somewhat different, the chorus is told from two different perspectives, first that of the US, then the USSR. The verses deal more with specifics, and I tried to alternately include both sides in each verse so the listener wouldn’t get bogged down or bored with what one or the other was doing.

I put the lyrics up on the site because the vocal tracks weren’t always intelligible. Keep in mind I had to fumble my way through the recording process cause I barely know what the heck I’m doing! In any case, you can check it out here:

www.myspace.com/orbegosongs

-Geoff

I can’t get that link to work Geoff.

Yes, the link is back to this forum.

Um, copy and paste, guys
???

Whoops, sorry bout that, hopefully this link will get you there.

http://www.myspace.com/orbegosongs

That’s really, really cool.
Is the beginning really Sputnik?
Oh,
I see - there’s a synth line over the top.
Cool.

OK, let’s name all of the space related songs we can come up with.
I suspect there are quite a few (which is not a criticism, Geoff, just wondering).
I’ll start with:

The legendary Joe Meek’s Telstar = and of course “I Hear A New World” (I’ve long planned an album: I Hear Anew, World…but it seems sacrilegious…)

I quite like some ‘experimental’ stuff like this. Nice ideas in there.

I’d like to hear the vocal with a bit more clarity but apart from that, cool.

Quote: (TomS @ Feb. 17 2008, 10:40 PM)

OK, let's name all of the space related songs we can come up with. I suspect there are quite a few (which is not a criticism, Geoff, just wondering). I'll start with:

OK, I'll start with two easy Bowie ones:

* Starman

* Space Odyssey (Ground control to Major Tom S)

Elton John, Rocketman

Billy Preston, Outta-Space - David Bowie - Space Oddity