Theme for short animated feature

“The Old One” was written and performed to accompany a short animated feature produced at the University of Cincinnati. Written and performed by Shea Springer. Sequenced using Reason, mastered using n-track. Because it was written as an accompanyment for a film, “The Old One” is a bit sparse and repetitive. But it is also a bit hypnotic, and I think well done given it’s purpose. I thought that some of you might enjoy the piece, and am curious what you think. Thanks for listening. You will find it Here.

It definitely has a soundtrack feel to it. One of the keyboard parts in the right channel sounds just a tiny bit distorted at the beginning. Wasn’t sure if that was intentional or part of the sample you used. This is a very imaginative composition.

It feels human…it’s almost spooky how much human emotion is in that piece.

StuH

I feel the emotional tug too, but I’m totally baffled by it. All the instruments are synthesized. At max there are four instrument sounds plus percussion, and the melody line is rudimentary. Everything is virtual except for the mind that created the piece. Still, in just a few seconds a mood is projected. How does this happen? I guess that I really just don’t understand music at all.

KSBD

There’s no intentional distortion in this recording. Which instrument sound is distorting? Gotta train my ear to hear it.

Thanks to both of you for the comments.

T

Quote (tspringer @ June 27 2006,09:33)
KSBD

There's no intentional distortion in this recording. Which instrument sound is distorting? Gotta train my ear to hear it.

Thanks to both of you for the comments.

T

I listened on headphones and it seemed like it was more in the right channel. I'm not sure what instrument it is: sounds like a percussive instrument, almost oriental in nature.

I like it too. I didn’t hear the distortion that ksdb mentioned.

Mr. Soul

Thanks for the listen and comment.

KSDB

Wow do you have good ears! Now that you have told me exactly what to listen for, I can hear the distortion. It is there, but subtle. I’m not sure where it came from - some detective work is needed.

T

Quote (tspringer @ June 27 2006,14:55)
Mr. Soul

Thanks for the listen and comment.

KSDB

Wow do you have good ears! Now that you have told me exactly what to listen for, I can hear the distortion. It is there, but subtle. I'm not sure where it came from - some detective work is needed.

T

I was thinking it might be something in the instrument sample or perhaps a byproduct of converting your wav mixdown to an mp3. Good luck with it.