These giant headphones

What are they?

Got these babies for 5$ at a junk store.
One of the plastic circle labels fell off the one side of them and the other side only says Pioneer. I can’t find a model number or anything on these even on the inside. They must be really old, I’m guessing early 70s. The outside is padded which I’ve never seen on headphones before. The cord is on a swivle and each headphone has a thumb scew to change the length with notches.
I’ve checked google image search for old pioneer headphones and can’t find any made by them that look even close to these no matter how old…

I’m thinking of asking pioneer directly but doubt I would get an answer from them so maybe someone here knows what model they are?
They sure sound great! Seem to cover down to 10hz and upto 18khz before distorting anything higher too much.
I’ve tested AKG and nice Koss headphones before and they don’t seem to beat these for sound quality and comfort except the heavy weight which is annoying after an hour of use.
Also, I’ve never seen headphones this huge before! Has anyone else? If so what?
They look like their eating that CD they are so giant. Each headphone covers/cups my whole ear, which is great for keeping sound out and helping sound better.
Ideas?

Looks like you got a good deal. Those things look pretty rugged which is great for use in the studio…

I don’t have any specific information to add on them but if you are right, and they are from the 70’s, you’ll probably find they have a nice flat response… unlike a lot of modern hifi stuff that hypes the sound to sound “good”.

So come on folks, someone must have an idea…

Mark

All I know is DON’T PUT THOSE ON YOUR HEAD THEY CONTAIN ALIEN TECHNOLOGY THAT IS USED BY THE GUMMIT TO SCRAMBLE YOUR BRAINWAVES AND MAKE YOU LIKE WHATEVER IS ON TOP 40 RADIO AT THIS VERY MOMENT.

:)

HOLY COW! Those things are HUGE! Look, I have a really FAT head… a TEN gallon hat is at least FIVE gallons too small. So ship those things to me! :D

TG

Quote (TomS @ July 21 2005,17:28)
All I know is DON'T PUT THOSE ON YOUR HEAD THEY CONTAIN ALIEN TECHNOLOGY THAT IS USED BY THE GUMMIT TO SCRAMBLE YOUR BRAINWAVES AND MAKE YOU LIKE WHATEVER IS ON TOP 40 RADIO AT THIS VERY MOMENT.

:)

They do look like they came from another planet and I still can't find info on them so who knows? Maybe they are alien technology :P
I wouldn't doubt if Pioneer has connections with little green men.
Quote (Mark A @ July 21 2005,15:01)
Looks like you got a good deal. Those things look pretty rugged which is great for use in the studio...

I don't have any specific information to add on them but if you are right, and they are from the 70's, you'll probably find they have a nice flat response... unlike a lot of modern hifi stuff that hypes the sound to sound "good".

So come on folks, someone must have an idea.....

Mark

Yes, I've always noticed that about the older headphones and probably loud speakers to. The old Koss headphones I had were from the 70s and they were so good sounding right along with these. Some of the crap made today you almost have to EQ to get a flat response and even then only with luck unless you get something 100$+ :O