These photos are close to home

If you’re a Caper…

Hi gents:

I got this link in my mail today from a friend of mine who lives on Cape Breton Island…
These are taken by a friend of his that is a photographer and in the buisness…
Needless to say he has some hi-class photo equipment…

Here’s the link…
These photos are Great

If you’re interested in outdoor/natural photography…

I’ve had to “Right-click” on some of the icons to get the server to open some of the images toward the end of the posted files…

Bill…

Beautiful!

thanks for sharin that bill,whata place as i recall,even though its been better then 30 yrs since i was there,funny thing is i was searching out a different form of Beautys back then,most of them was seen layin on my back in a hotel room somewhere,sorry,but the band would never allow cameras around,so i have no photos to share :laugh:

Hi Wozz:

Thirty years ago would have put me at the Musicstop in Dartmouth…
If you played the bar circuit back then you would have been in-and-outta the bars up-and-down the road and in-and-around the Maritimes…
… What kind of music were you doing back then?

Some pretty hi-profile musicians have been known to come out of Cape Breton…

Bill…

back then i was playin the"anthology of rock an roll" ,thats what the hype sheet said anyways in our promo pack,we’d come out and do a elvis vegas style set,jumpsuits with kick pleats and rhinestones sewn up and down the length of the thing,high stiff collars, capes,then we’d come out and do a greaser set of 50’s music,ya know,yakety yak ,dont talk back and great balls of fire and so on,then for our final set it was beatles and stones and hendrix and alotta long hair stuff that was already almost 10 years old at the time,halifax and new brunswick and prince eddie stands out in my mind yet,i was there for months on end,sailors would come to see us an they had american ciggeretts,which always was a treat after you had been away for so long,anymore then that i dont much recall,i think i was numb by then,a road rash on the brain,wasnt long after that i retired to the woods and started to play more localy,which is where i still find myself today, :agree:

Aaaa…who’d wanna live around all that beauty? Makes ya soft. :)

Those pictures are gorgeous, Bill.

Hi wozz:

That’s quite an aggressive stage show you guys did.
If you played over in Charlottetown then you are calling that room the Prince Edward Room…
Everybody that I know played that Room…
Even Ann Murray…
Everyone paid their dues in that place.
That block over there has been leveled by the wrecker’s ball…
The train station still stands… It’s been protected by the heritage organization…
There are no trains running on Prince Edward Island, anymore…
Johnie Reid…
the owner of that bar is still going…
He isn’t young anymore.
He gave many Eastern Musicians their start…
The stages I worked on would get 1-and-2 week stands over there in the middle of the summers…
August…
Gene McLland… (I may not have his name spelt correctly)
the guy who wrote most of Ann Murray’s early songs spent most of his time at Johnie Reid’s Bar… or…The Prince Edward Room…
What a great guy Gene was…

His home was way up on the west end of the Island… He wrote some fabulous lyrics…

Hi TomS:

That guy has some pretty serious Camera Equipment…
It would be interesting to know what he used to capture those images…

It’s a shame, though…
The windward sides of the Island are gonna be outfitted with Wind Farms…
Coal is becoming a thing of the past…
The Bay of Fundy is gonna be outfitted with Tidal Generating Equipment…
The place will never be the same…
Sorry-to-Say… I guess it’s a sign of the times…
It’s all in the planning stages…
so-they-say…

Bill…

Thanks for posting these great pictures, Bill. I’m not a Caper, but the fall colours sure brought back memories of the Gatineau Hills for me.

Hi KBub:

Thanks for your reply…
I’m sure you are referring to the North shore of the St. Lawrence River…
If the Gatineau Hills are what you are referring to it seems you are now a long way from the North Shore of the St Lawrence River…
Boy…
There is some beautiful Country up there…
It can be rugged and desolate up there in January and February…

Bill…

Bill, Haha! Yes I’m far from home (the Ottawa River, actually, though I’ve spent a LOT of time on the north shore of the St. Lawrence – my wife is from Trois-Rivières). Of course, Austin has its charms, too. Autumn not among them. :slight_smile:

But since we’re reminiscing about shores – and to bring things back to Nova Scotia – I have very fond memories of Digby, too! (Oh, the scallops!).

Anyway, thanks again for the beautiful pictures and the memories they stirred.

Hi Again Gents:

I was talking to the guy who e-Mailed me that link to where those “Caper Photos” are posted…
He tells me that this guy is quite the photographer…
He says that if you browse this guy’s page you’ll fine some other stuff that he has posted there…
As he was telling me, in our conversation, this guy is in the NASA employ…
as a photographer… or something…
He has some images from space posted up there…
I’m gonna go and browse around his page to see just what is there…
I’m fascinated with “Space Photos”…

Bill…