Things I hate buying

So after one of my SD condensers died, I decided I should probably invest in some higher quality mic stands. The mic had swung from about a foot and a half and hit a crash cymbal, because the stand had slipped. Anyway, it occurs to me that I need to get some good mic stands instead of the crappy ones I have now to prevent this from reccurring.

So I think I am going to get the TAMA mic stand kit, which has 3 big stands and 2 little ones. My old drummer had these stands, and they actually stayed locked into place when you set them, unlike my crappy stands. If I do, it is going to run me $160 or whatever from musiciansfriend.com.

But the point is, I REALLY HATE BUYING STUFF LIKE THIS. $160 on gear that does not make a sound. Does anyone else get pissed off when they have to spend substantial money on equipment that won’t make you mix sound any better?

Oh yes. And not only that stands can be included: “Buy an Antivirus, and renew the suscription every year!” but when you can get the grapes, the solution is to thing they are green still. Have i commented you that i heard that TAMA stands improve the sounds of mics enhancing the frequencyes they can catch? I can remember where i read this… but believe me :;): :D Infraestructure is not always the more nice think in what spent money, but is necessary, and in the long run, you will be happy (put a picture of your broken condenser over the TAMA stands, it that helps :wink:

I feel your pain, but mic stands that don’t lock in tight enough are painful at gigs too…

I feel it. Not just mic stands but guitar cases too, especially if a standard case does not fit an oddball instrument.

I use cheap mic stands but I don’t trust them at all. They do cause me a certain degree of worry. I once pulled a boom out slightly too far (a total amount that would have been fine on a good stand) and nearly lost an LDC mic. I caught it just in time. sigh

<!–QuoteBegin>

(put a picture of your broken condenser over the TAMA stands, if that helps

Excellent advice Marce !

:D

Yeah, that’s a drag, having to buy hardware that just stands there… but having to buy car insurance is worse. That doesn’t even do anything!

I don’t like buying computer parts that I know will be obsolete when I get them home…

cliff
:cool:

I just recalled an incident from way back when I was rehearsing with a close music friend on drums and some potential music friends on guitars and bass. A cymbal stand was accidentially knocked over and the cymbal edge cut a guitar cable clean over! End of potential friendship… - but fun to remember now 25 years on… :D

regards, Nils

Big hint on mic stands: Put a couple of $3 5lb barbell weights on the bottom to stabilize them.

(I’ll post pics if you want.)

A few years ago I was playing on a stage that had some spots strung at various places on the back curtain, which was against a wall. There was a 2-foot space between the back edge of the stage and the wall. I put my Fender molded guitar case back there. At some point during the night, one of the spotlights fell off of the backdrop, but remained lit. It landed right on my case and melted a nice neat 4" hole right through my case! :( Lucky for me, the club owner paid for a new case. But I don’t think they ever made the lights any more secure! Cases are a necessary but not-fun expense, just like mic stands. My main studio condenser mic sits on a very lightweight tripod boom stand. I keep telling myself to buy a more substantial stand for the heavy mic. When my old stand (25-year-old Atlas) bit the dust and I pitched it, I neglected to remove the counterweight from the boom. The new one has a flimsy little weight that probably doesn’t weight 3 ounces. No match for a heavy LD condenser mic at the other end!! It’s been 2 years now, and I still haven’t bought a better stand or added some weight to the boom, even though I know it’s a disaster waiting to happen. The budget for the studio stuff always seems to go for new gear or software!!

Don

Quote (Nils K @ Jan. 05 2006,08:31)
A cymbal stand was accidentially knocked over and the cymbal edge cut a guitar cable clean over!

I've hear that 20-inch cymbals are notorious for falling and cutting the lamps.

I've also heard that rock is dead.

/obscure? I hope not!
:O

By the way, my LD mics stay in the boxes they came in until I am ready to use them, and they go back into those boxes as soon as I am done. Adding some weight to the base of your stand will help some; a couple of heavy sandbags would be even better, but who has that sort of thing lying around the house?

Long live rock I need it every night…

Quote (TimOBrien @ Jan. 05 2006,08:47)
Big hint on mic stands: Put a couple of $3 5lb barbell weights on the bottom to stabilize them.

(I'll post pics if you want.)

Very Good Advise Tim! Also you can bought some stands weighted from factory.

If you are very DIY, i guess that you can save some bucks making them, and you can make them in the way you like.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Long live rock I need it every night…

"We were the first band to vomit in the bar… and find the distance to the stage too far…"

How did Townsend get into this thread too? Shouldn’t he be playing with his iPod?

Quote (Mark A @ Jan. 05 2006,13:50)
How did Townsend get into this thread too? Shouldn’t he be playing with his iPod?

I guess he didn’t hear that this thread was unrelated to the iPod thread.
???

Love…

Yeah, I do have barbells on my mic stands. Luckily we have a bunch of weightlifting junk in the basement.

at one session my overhead stand got pulled over (I was trying to reach the mic input…) and my MXL603s took about a 7 foot dive right into the floor. Still works perfectly lol I got real lucky I guess.